Ok, all my Brit friends...

OldRUSHfan

I need your help with something thats been bothering me since I first heard the lyric. It's to the song "Bennie The Bouncer" by Emerson, Lake & Palmer, and the lyric is "Sidney grabbed a switchblate and Bennie got a 'cold meat pie". Now. I've looked up Meat Pies, in a British mode, and they're basically what we Americans call Pot Pies. Now how is a person going to defend themselves with a 'cold meat pie? Is this a brit thing? Can someone tell me this?

DAPEUTp.gif

This sounds like Cockney rhyming slang, but I'm not sure exactly what it rhymes with...in this case I don't think it is Benny choosing a weapon, rather the "got" here refers to him receiving an injury, possibly in his eye.

That's the best I can do, but I live about 500 miles from that part of the UK.......

• Like 1

This sounds like Cockney rhyming slang, but I'm not sure exactly what it rhymes with...in this case I don't think it is Benny choosing a weapon, rather the "got" here refers to him receiving an injury, possibly in his eye.

That's the best I can do, but I live about 500 miles from that part of the UK.......

That occured to me as well. Don't know if you know the song, but Emerson, Lake & Palmer were introduced to me in the spring of 1970 at the family "Memorial Day" get together by an older cousin into ELP, Black Sabbath, he introduced me to Paranoid as well as the first ELP album that spring. I bought them both later that summer...I just thought it was a U.K. thing since then, although I couldn't think what type of a weapon a 'cold meat pie' might be, unless it was a distraction to come up with a more solid weapon. It must remain a mystery to me! ...Thanks, Fridge!

edTXhUP.gif

Sounds to me like Sidney used the blade and stabbed Benny in the gut.