Do you dig Pablo Picasso?

Texas King

Do you dig Pablo Picasso?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Do you dig Pablo Picasso?

I like a lot of his stuff. I am no art critic, I just like the way his paintings look. My favorite artist is Magritte (not just cause he draws a lot of boobs)
  • Like 4

I haven't studied painters and artists much, but I've never felt Pablo Picasso was bad. From what I've seen by him, I've always gotten a sense of a quirky and humorous kind of character that I enjoyed.

I do study architecture though, maybe ask about Borromini or Palladio next time! :P

http://i.pokeme.com/meme/img/0018.jpg

Finding this meme very useful these days.

I don't think that's ugly at all

• Like 1

"It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child."

The Guernica mural is genius.

http://en.upside-art.com/thumbs.php/artworks/038866-524.jpg?w=&h=

as is the Blind Guitarist...

El-viejo-y-la-guitarra.jpeg?1464165215

Edited by goose
  • Like 3

This thread reminds me of the current Music thread where there is a debate around Kurt Cobain. Kurt's genius lies in his inventiveness. Same with Picasso and others like him.
  • Like 1

This thread reminds me of the current Music thread where there is a debate around Kurt Cobain. Kurt's genius lies in his inventiveness. Same with Picasso and others like him.

Difference. Pablo learned to be technically proficient in the craft first before breaking down the "rules" and doing things seemingly simpler and less technically difficult. Cobain couldn't have played anything more difficult than his own songs if he'd tried. Pablo learned first then ignored the rules and techniques he deemed limiting to his expression. Cobain didn't learn first, he simply focused his musicianship outside the realm of being a skilled guitarist.

• Like 1

Difference. Pablo learned to be technically proficient in the craft first before breaking down the "rules" and doing things seemingly simpler and less technically difficult. Cobain couldn't have played anything more difficult than his own songs if he'd tried. Pablo learned first then ignored the rules and techniques he deemed limiting to his expression. Cobain didn't learn first, he simply focused his musicianship outside the realm of being a skilled guitarist.

I mostly agree. Cobain was certainly no virtuoso, but hardly unskilled. As far as comparing him to painters go, I'd say that Cobain is more similar to Frida Kahlo than Picasso. Her style is distinctive, but raw and limited in range. This quote from Diego Rivera regarding Frida's art could easily be applied to Cobain's playing: "[Her paintings had]... an unusual energy of expression, precise delineation of character, and true severity ... They had a fundamental plastic honesty, and an artistic personality of their own ."
  • Like 2