Clean vocals vs Unclean vocals in metal

fraroc

One of the mentalities that some metalheads have that I really just cant wrap my head around is the idea that death growls and screaming is somehow more valid than clean vocals in metal. Theres been a few instances where fans of Amon Amarth have given me a little bit of a bollocking (yes I'm talking British now) because I believe that their music would sound a lot better with a vocals more akin to Bruce Dickinson or James LaBrie or Jeff Scott Soto and Mark Boals. The usual argument is "Oh well if you want clean vocals go listen to Bon Jovi or whatever fake shitty hair metal you like."

I think there's something very wrong with that mentality. If a singer to a metal band sings instead of growls, they're "Bon Jovi"?

That's why I like Dream Theater and Ghost so much, because they're not afraid to be both heavy and very melodic.

• Like 1

Unclean vocals have to be done in a musical way. If it's too monotonous, then it severely detracts from the music. Then again, I find Slayer to even be too much sometimes, soI don't have much of a tolerance for them really.

I'm a huge Amon Amarth fan and have followed them for years. I freaking love them.

You deserve the bollocking TBH.

Johan Hegg has the sound and the image (and yes image is important in all forms of music) that works for Amon Amorth.

Of those 3 vocal types mentioned, Bruce Dickinson and Jeff Scott Soto...hmm maybe.

James LaBrie type vocals bleating their way through Guardians of Asgard or Thousand years of Oppression?

Give me a farkin' break mate, you can't be serious? :scared: :scared: :scared:

Heil Odin :notworthy:

Edited by thirteen

Amon Amarth have given me a little bit of a bollocking (yes I'm talking British now) because I believe that their music would sound a lot better with a vocals more akin to Bruce Dickinson or James LaBrie or Jeff Scott Soto and Mark Boals.

I'm a huge Amon Amarth fan and have followed them for years. I freaking love them.

Johan Hegg has the sound and the image (and yes image is important in all forms of music) that works for Amon Amorth.

Of those 3 vocal types mentioned, Bruce Dickinson and Jeff Scott Soto...hmm maybe.

James LaBrie type vocals bleating their way through Guardians of Asgard or Thousand years of Oppression?

Do yourself a favor and listen to Images and Words all the way through.

I have tried to get into Dream Theater because of their Rush influence, but I struggle to get past LaBries' vocals.

Which is kinda ironic considering that I'm a Rush fan :LOL:

• Like 3

I think you're looking at a vocal minority in the metal community. Their opinions may be loud, but they are hardly representative of metal fans in general. Usually the people that prefer deathgrowls/etc usually tend to crave something really brutal. The expression through unclean vocals speaks to them in a way that it doesn't to you.

I would add that just because it resonates more strongly with them, they're kinda being a dick if they put down clean vocals (and vice versa, people are allowed to like things).

• Like 4

I do prefer clean vocals. Singers like Ozzy, Halford, Dio and Dickinson are the foundation on which metal vocals were built. But there are some bands that do the growling very well. Amon Amarth being one of those bands. It adds to the intensity and aggressiveness of their music that clean, melodic vocals simply cannot do. Lamb Of God is another example of growling vocals done properly. You can tell with those two bands that the vocalists have singing ability and aren't just growling to sound edgy or brutal. When the growling is done without any kind of purpose is when it sucks. Unfortunately that's happened way too much in metal over the last 20 years and that has left a bad mark on that style. Metal is about musical diversity as well and the genre would have gotten boring a long time ago if it was all clean vocals all the time.

One of the mentalities that some metalheads have that I really just cant wrap my head around is the idea that death growls and screaming is somehow more valid than clean vocals in metal. Theres been a few instances where fans of Amon Amarth have given me a little bit of a bollocking (yes I'm talking British now) because I believe that their music would sound a lot better with a vocals more akin to Bruce Dickinson or James LaBrie or Jeff Scott Soto and Mark Boals. The usual argument is "Oh well if you want clean vocals go listen to Bon Jovi or whatever fake shitty hair metal you like."

I think there's something very wrong with that mentality. If a singer to a metal band sings instead of growls, they're "Bon Jovi"?

That's why I like Dream Theater and Ghost so much, because they're not afraid to be both heavy and very melodic.

There is a lot of great music that becomes unlistenable as soon as the cookie monster vocals start. Early Opeth is but 1 example.

• Like 1

Screaming is a great sound that can really add to an album.

Take Paradise Lost's last two records.

You dont need to be convinced Fraroc. You aren't right just because you don't appreciate something. The more you complain the more limited you reveal your tastes to be.

Someone who falls over himself daily trying to get people to take hair metal seriously is not really the kind of individual who is going to "get" that metal is not about sounding perfect or being pretty. Sometimes it is, but Amon Amarth are doing very well at their own thing, they don't need to change for amyone, and the fans are quite right to take umbrage are your endless whining.

• Like 2

Amon Amarth have given me a little bit of a bollocking (yes I'm talking British now) because I believe that their music would sound a lot better with a vocals more akin to Bruce Dickinson or James LaBrie or Jeff Scott Soto and Mark Boals.

Do yourself a favor and listen to Images and Words all the way through.

He doesn't need to do himself a favour. And I have listened to every DT album and will say quite honestly there are better Amon Amarth albums than Images And Words to my ears, and you rave about Labrie but I disagree with you and think he's a borderline terrible vocalist.

You need to get it into your head that people are entitled to like what they like and you reveal yourself to be a real idiot the more you stamp your feet and complain about other aspects of metal it's obvious you don't appreciate.

I prefer clean vocals by far.

When it comes to unclean vocals I can only listen to Mikael Akerfeldt's growling without problems (maybe it's because I love Opeth). And I don't mind Agalloch vocals too.

There are other vocal styles in metal besides clean singing, screaming/shrieking and growling. Some metal bands use shouted vocals as a singing style as Neurosis. I like that band and don't mind their vocals.

Anyway, generally I can't stand black and death metal music(even I don't like melodic death metal)and all -core metal styles. I dig classic heavy metal, power, prog, some of thrash, folk and doom/sludge/stoner metal.

Edited by Texas King

I prefer whatever fits the music. You get shit from Amon Amarth fans because you suggest that a band that's been incredibly consistent change just because you don't like it. Besides that, I think you're off base with this example anyway...I'm glad they're not another cheesy power metal band.

I’m no Bon Jovi fan but I’ll take these vocals over some over the top growling any day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWVgbTBlH9M&sns=em

The song sucks (rock schlock), but this version showcases the talent buried underneath the facade.

RE: Metal

Enjoy what you like, leave the rest. Rinse, repeat.

I am more of a rock guy than metal, but when I do metal, I usually pretty clean vocals. There are exceptions - Devin Townsend, who screams sometimes, is one of my favorite musicians ever; and Opeth is a longtime favorite, death growls and all - but give me clean vocals most of the time.
  • Like 2

I do prefer clean vocals but i've come to appreciate unclean. Still and all i can't shake the feeling that it just sounds like i'm being belched at, lol

Mick

I guess everything has its place...and sometimes that place is the garbage! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c55ybIOGEeU&sns=em

:LOL:

:laughing guy: :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

See that's what i hear most times a long belch. i know it takes skill. but sometimes it just sounds silly, lol

Mick

• Like 1

I do prefer clean vocals but i've come to appreciate unclean. Still and all i can't shake the feeling that it just sounds like i'm being belched at, lol

Mick

See that's what i hear most times a long belch. i know it takes skill. but sometimes it just sounds silly, lol

Mick

I went to small club last year to see a mix of bands, mostly metal. I had never heard of any of those bands as they were locals in a city I had never been before (Nagoya). I just went because it was a live gig and near my beer site. Anyway, most of the metal bands’ vocals sounded like this:

ARRAWWRAWWW-ARRAWWRAWWW-ARRAWWRAWWW-ARRAWWRAWWW...

..with a chorus of:

Most of those bands would’ve been halfway decent if they didn’t have lead singers. ;)

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

I went to small club last year to see a mix of bands, mostly metal. I had never heard of any of those bands as they were locals in a city I had never been before (Nagoya). I just went because it was a live gig and near my beer site. Anyway, most of the metal bands’ vocals sounded like this:

..with a chorus of:

Most of those bands would’ve been halfway decent if they didn’t have lead singers. ;)

and ya know what that's the thing.....most of these guys are good singers when they go for clean vocals. i know i must sound old......"these kids and their RAWR RAWR metal" but yea i appreciate it more......but i still don't really get it......You were singing fine......why would you......never mind, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Mick

Mick

..with a chorus of:

and ya know what that's the thing.....most of these guys are good singers when they go for clean vocals. i know i must sound old......"these kids and their RAWR RAWR metal" but yea i appreciate it more......but i still don't really get it......You were singing fine......why would you......never mind, lol

Mick

I’ll never know about them being good singers (with those bands specifically) though because the vocalists did their SAME growling for EVERY damn song. :LOL:

True though.

• Like 2

Mick

Mick

..with a chorus of:

But you don't get it! If you like to understand what the singer is saying, Then you're a fake metalhead and you like Bon Jovi and Poison!