New to Forum - My Intro - Ultimate Rush Tribute

Ultimate Rush Tribute

Hey all, I am new to the forum. Long time Rush fan. My first concert was the Moving Pictures tour in 1981. Saw them at Madison Square Garden and was totally blown away. I have been in bands since seventh grade and have played everything from standard rock classics to tribute bands. I was in a Pink Floyd tribute band, Zeppelin tribute and my latest and my favorite project is a Rush tribute band. We simple go by Ultimate Rush. We have been practicing for about 6 months and just had our first gig last Sunday. Was fairly happy with it although we have a long way to go. I will be posting some videos from the show as we get them edited and put together. We pretty much focus on 2112 to Signals but we are open to expanding down the road. Here is our set list from the show:

Set 1

Spirit of Radio

Subdivisions

Limelight

Entrée Nous*

Camera Eye*

New World Man

XYZ

Jacob’s Ladder

Set2

R30

Tom Sawyer

Closer to the Heart*

Broon’s Bain*

The Trees*

Xanadu**

Analog Kid

Freewill

Red Barchetta

Overature/Temples

(Encore)

La Villa Strangiato*

Here is a video of Spirit of Radio - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoMY2_lzqvo

I know we still need work, but I think once we tighten up and get some reps we can do them justice. Now that Rush is officially not touring any more. How many of you will seek out tribute shows? Are you generally for or against band(s) trying to carry on the tradition, We had about 140 Rush fans at the first show and had a lot of great feedback, so I think we are on the right track.

I look forward to engaging with you all on many subjects, but just wanted to give you a quick intro.

Thanks.

• Like 2

I know we still need work, but I think once we tighten up and get some reps we can do them justice.

What in particular do you think needs work?

• Like 1

I know we still need work, but I think once we tighten up and get some reps we can do them justice.

What in particular do you think needs work?

Not too much in this video. I am the guitar player and with the excitement, the lights distracting me, etc... I missed a couple chords that I can usually play in my sleep, and I didn't have time to set up the wah effect for the solo before this gig. But with a few gigs and reps and time these things will get tighter. Further in the show, there were some timing issues with Xanadu and Jacob's Ladder. A few blown solos (again mostly from excitement) lol.

Welcome to the forum

I was right there with you at MSG in '81 !! ... My first show was a year earlier at The Palladium and it still resonates with me ..

Looking forward to seeing more of your posts - welcome aboard

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.

I thought the TSOR cover sounded great.

Based on this I definitely would love to hear that setlist. Rush is tough to cover and you guys definitely seem to have a good grasp on it.

I think quality Rush tribute bands will be a hot commodity now that they've taken their final bows so to speak.

Definitely a major thumbs up.

As far as tightening up goes, as others have said here you guys seem to have it down pretty tight based on this video.

What could be tightened up?

Based on this video, I would say the singing. He does a great job, but emulating Geddy's voice is a real challenge, especially with the pre-Signals material, and at times the 'Geddy-ness' of the voice sounds a bit... forced?

That would be the only thing honestly that sounds like it may need some tightening.

In any event it honestly sounds great and I look forward to hearing more. In fact based on this I'd be psyched to watch your band play.

Best of luck and, again, welcome to TRF!

Edited by rftag
  • Like 1

Welcome to the Rush Forum.

I wish you great success with your Rush tribute.

My favourite live band is an Australian AC/DC tribute band called Dirty Deeds. Great bunch of guys.

Once your band finds it feet (in particular 'Geddy') you can come to Australia.

I will expect nothing less than 3 hours of music...

• Like 1

I need a third set to make us a traditional Rush 3 hour show! I need to incorporate more of the "newer music (after signals). I would like to see your proposed 3rd set for us. Here is 1 and 2 again for convenience...

Three that we have sort of assembled are Dreamline, Leave that thing alone and Distant Early Warning. They don't necessarily need to be. I am not a big fan of Leave that thing alone.

Keep in mind the new songs would be spread out through out the sets. But we need 8-9 songs 10 max.

Set 1

Spirit of Radio

Subdivisions

Limelight

Entrée Nous*

Camera Eye*

New World Man

XYZ

Jacob’s Ladder

Set2

R30

Tom Sawyer