Interviewing Steve Hackett...

Rod in Toronto

People say that life is not about how much money you save, but about the stories you can tell, right? If that´s the case I just struck GOLD yesterday, because I had an unforgettable experience interviewing Steve HAckett and seeing him live a couple of hours later here in Toronto.

I took my wife with me to help me film the interview. We arrived on time and sat there waiting at the reception of Steve´s hotel. He was late, so I called the "tour manager". It turned out the tour manager was none other than Jo Hackett, Steve´s wife! She said they were coming from the airport and would meet us shortly at the hotel. They checked in and invited us to their room, where the interview was filmed! It was surreal to see my wife bonding with Steve´s wife...they talked about how they were going to play in Rio soon, and how our decision to move out of Brazil was due to safety reasons. And we thanked them for the tickets they gave us.

I´ve been practicing for this for so long that I had all my questions memorized...he was so kind and graceful, even though you could tell tey were tired from the trip and had to fly to Gatineau the next day for another concert. The camera we had was not the best, and the lighting in the room was horrible, so we´re still trying to improve the footage. It won´t be published until later in the week and until we improve it. But it went well, we talked about the tour, how his albums all of a sudden started selling well again, the current state of the music business, and why people always ask about a Genesis reunion.

The show was one of the most surreal experiences of my life. Can you imagine what I felt when I came to the imponent Massey Hall and said at the door "our names are on the guest list"? Oh my God!!! This was the first concert we saw together since Veronica was pregnant, so that was quite special as well. The previous one was Paco de Lucia, while she was heavily pregnant and felt rather sick. I did tell that to Steve and his wife on the elevator.

Steve split the concert in two: the first set had highlights of his solo career, including Every Day, Behind the Smoke and GTR´s when the Heart Rules the Mind. The second set was the main reason most people were there, since he brought out the Genesis tunes: Firth of Fifth, Musical Box, Nursery Crime, One for the Vine, The Fountain fo Salmacis etc...his take on the Genesis stuff was great in my opinion, because they didn´t try to replicate all original arrangements exactly. All songs were given a fresh sound, and didn´t sound dated at all.

I´m supposed to interview another big name in the prog scene tomorrow, and even went to another job interview today, but can´t get last night´s experience out of my head! In case you missed it, here´s a VERY grainy photo from the interview: http://www.therushfo...20#entry4509012

I´ll post the link to the interview here when it´s published. Thanks to all that contributed with questions for him, and don´t miss the chance to catch him on tour!

• Like 13

Did Hackett happen to play any of his acoustic stuff, like from Momentum or A Midsummer Night's Dream? I have those two albums, and they're awesome!
  • Like 1

Did Hackett happen to play any of his acoustic stuff, like from Momentum or A Midsummer Night's Dream? I have those two albums, and they're awesome!

No, he only used an acoustic guitar in the intro of certain Genesis songs.

• Like 1

Here's the article:

http://lotsofmuzic.weebly.com/home/keeping-the-genesis-legacy-going-our-interview-and-concert-review-of-steve-hackett-in-toronto

Let me know what you guys think!!! Please comment, share etc...

ROD, THIS IS INCREDIBLE STUFF !!

I'm at work now, but when I get home, I will sit down with dinner and watch the entire interview

Congrats, this is great

• Like 1

Looking forward to the inevitable theater release of Almost Famous 2: The Rodrigo Story.

:ebert:

Yeah, that would be an amazing story. Brad Pitt wanted to play me, but I think we need someone prettier.

Here's the article:

http://lotsofmuzic.w...kett-in-toronto

Let me know what you guys think!!! Please comment, share etc...

ROD, THIS IS INCREDIBLE STUFF !!

I'm at work now, but when I get home, I will sit down with dinner and watch the entire interview

Congrats, this is great

Thanks, man!!! I appreciate your comments.

• Like 1