Fat Tuesday...strange tradition

HemiBeers

Want to get closer to God and make him happier? Eat a jelly filled donut.

Damn, religion is strange.

The fact that I'm fat on Tuesday doesn't make me less fat the other 6 days of the week.

paczek-meme.jpg?resize=589%2C599

• Like 4

A dream that all of Central PA has . . . . . fortunately or unfortunately I had a bad one a few years ago and it kind of put me off them. Usually fastnachts are delicious, though! Heavier and more substantial than a regular doughnut.

6rPdJMTl.jpg

• Like 2

The fact that I'm fat on Tuesday doesn't make me less fat the other 6 days of the week.

The fact that people go without something during Lent that they partake of the rest of the year to get closer to their god, points out how religion isn't just strange, but ridiculous.

• Like 2

yeah, fat Tuesday isn't really the most sacrosanct of holidays, despite existing only because of ash Wednesday > lent > Easter. Tradition is tradition though.

The fact that people go without something during Lent that they partake of the rest of the year to get closer to their god, points out how religion isn't just strange, but ridiculous.

Ideally, you don't go without something just to go without it, but you go without it so you can feel the pain of not having it which other less privileged people feel and can then better come to love them as you love God. Even more ideally, the thing you give up for lent you discover you never needed in the first place and find a greater connection with God by not having it and give it up completely even after Easter, or at least use it much more sparingly and wisely.

Even more ideally you don't give something up for lent but you do something extra for other people which brings you closer to God; that's even harder than going on a diet or watching less TV.

• Like 4

yeah, fat Tuesday isn't really the most sacrosanct of holidays,

It's the total opposite. Last chance to get in your sins of the flesh before the 40-day holy period of Lent.

Fat Tuesday (In French, "Mardis Gras") is the last day of "Carnaval", a week-long celebration of the flesh. Food, sex, etc.

:dweez:

Ideally, you don't go without something just to go without it, but you go without it so you can feel the pain of not having it which other less privileged people feel and can then better come to love them as you love God. Even more ideally, the thing you give up for lent you discover you never needed in the first place and find a greater connection with God by not having it and give it up completely even after Easter, or at least use it much more sparingly and wisely.

Even more ideally you don't give something up for lent but you do something extra for other people which brings you closer to God; that's even harder than going on a diet or watching less TV.

:goodone:

I remember eating soup on Friday's, then donating the money we would have used for other food to the poor. To the even more poor, I should say. :LOL:

• Like 2

One of the things I miss about Detroit. Can't find a decent paczki here in S FL.

And my mothers side was Polish, with her parents from Warsaw.

Miss the paczkis, the kielbasa, and the chrusciki, but not the kiska and czarnina.

Da mi pivo.