Jump to content


Empire magazine Ranks Christopher Nolan Movies


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Nolan’s movies (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Of those you’ve seen, which do you think is Nolan’s best?

  1. Following (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  2. Memento (3 votes [27.27%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 27.27%

  3. Insomnia (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  4. Batman Begins (1 votes [9.09%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 9.09%

  5. The Prestige (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  6. The Dark Knight (1 votes [9.09%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 9.09%

  7. Inception (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  8. Dark Knight Rises (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  9. Interstellar (2 votes [18.18%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 18.18%

  10. Dunkirk (4 votes [36.36%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 36.36%

How is Nolan compared to other movie directors?

  1. Hands down, he’s the best! (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  2. He’s probably not the best but he’s way up there. (3 votes [27.27%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 27.27%

  3. He’s definitely good but there are other names I can rattle off who I prefer. (5 votes [45.45%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 45.45%

  4. Not bad; somewhere in the middle I suppose. (3 votes [27.27%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 27.27%

  5. Forgettable. Just another Hollywood hack director. (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  6. He’s probably not the worst but he’s way down there. (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  7. The absolute worst! (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32168 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:48 PM

Sorry, I don’t have the link. I’m checking out the mag in a bookstore now and they’re as follows:

1) Inception
2) The Dark Knight
3) Memento
4) The Prestige
5) Dunkirk
6) Batman Begins
7) Interstellar
8) The Dark Knight Rises
9) Insomnia
10) Following

I disagree with these rankings and I’ll get more into it in another post.

In the meantime, here’s a Nolan short, psychological thriller film from 1997 called “Doodlebug”...



Sponsored Post

#2 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32168 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:01 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 08 February 2018 - 10:48 PM, said:

Sorry, I don’t have the link. I’m checking out the mag in a bookstore now and they’re as follows:

1) Inception
2) The Dark Knight
3) Memento
4) The Prestige
5) Dunkirk
6) Batman Begins
7) Interstellar
8) The Dark Knight Rises
9) Insomnia
10) Following

I disagree with these rankings and I’ll get more into it in another post.


I haven’t seen Dunkirk so that’s off my list.

Nolan’s 5-4 with me overall and I’d go this way (spaces are on purpose):

1) Memento...enjoyably confusing psy thriller with Guy Pearce and Joey Pants in great form
2) Batman Begins...best of the Bat films, highly entertaining
3) The Dark Knight...Heath makes this very fun

4) Insomnia...better than I expected; it’s the most recent thing by Pacino that I liked
5) The Prestige...the twists and turns might be a bit much but I liked it

6) The Dark Knight Rises...disappointing resolution, some good and bad in here but overall - nope

7) Interstellar...especially disappointing last 15-25 minutes


8) Inception...I fell asleep; waste of money even before I slept

9) Following...skip this

#3 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 88113 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:20 PM

Now I'll rank them.

1) Mediocre
2) Overrated
3) Dull
4) Overblown
5) Crap
6) Emperor's new clothes
7) Boring
8) Pretentious
9) Flavour of the month

#4 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

    Natural Science Theater 3000

  • Members
  • 19712 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upland,CA

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:25 AM

He’s done a few good movies but he’s not the 2nd coming of Christ his delusional fanboys make him out to be.  He and Wes Anderson are the most overrated directors of ever.

#5 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 7452 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:36 AM

That short film was cool! It had a lot of the feel of a Twilight Zone episode. I've only ever seen Batman Begins and The Dark Knight so I'm not much help ranking. They were very good but my favorite is always the Michael Keaton Batman.

#6 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32168 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:15 AM

View Posttreeduck, on 08 February 2018 - 11:20 PM, said:

Now I'll rank them.

1) Mediocre
2) Overrated
3) Dull
4) Overblown
5) Crap
6) Emperor's new clothes
7) Boring
8) Pretentious
9) Flavour of the month

You’re missing “Garbage”!

You didn’t even like either of the first two Bat flicks or Memento?!

#7 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 88113 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:42 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 09 February 2018 - 01:15 AM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 08 February 2018 - 11:20 PM, said:

Now I'll rank them.

1) Mediocre
2) Overrated
3) Dull
4) Overblown
5) Crap
6) Emperor's new clothes
7) Boring
8) Pretentious
9) Flavour of the month

You’re missing “Garbage”!

You didn’t even like either of the first two Bat flicks or Memento?!
Memento was just a film student style exercise to me. Clever and gimmicky but not a good film. I'm not a big fan of his Bat flicks either but I suppose they're about the best thing he's done.

#8 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32168 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:19 AM

View Posttreeduck, on 09 February 2018 - 02:42 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 09 February 2018 - 01:15 AM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 08 February 2018 - 11:20 PM, said:

Now I'll rank them.

1) Mediocre
2) Overrated
3) Dull
4) Overblown
5) Crap
6) Emperor's new clothes
7) Boring
8) Pretentious
9) Flavour of the month

You’re missing “Garbage”!

You didn’t even like either of the first two Bat flicks or Memento?!
Memento was just a film student style exercise to me. Clever and gimmicky but not a good film. I'm not a big fan of his Bat flicks either but I suppose they're about the best thing he's done.

I’m probably biased in regards to Memento since one of the first mental health clients I worked with in the 90s suffered from chronic amnesia...which essentially was what Guy Pearce’s character suffered from. Pretty interesting for me overall despite it not being a perfect movie. His disorientation and the character trying to cover that bit was well done imho.


#9 pxr5

pxr5

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 76 posts
  • Location:Blackpool, England

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:40 AM

Dunkirk is an embarassment and a disgrace. I rather liked Nolan until that movie. I hated Inception and Insomnia, but love (top 5 ever films) Memento. Prestige/Interstellar - Very good. The rest - meh!

#10 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32168 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:01 AM

View Postpxr5, on 09 February 2018 - 03:40 AM, said:

Dunkirk is an embarassment and a disgrace. I rather liked Nolan until that movie. I hated Inception and Insomnia, but love (top 5 ever films) Memento. Prestige/Interstellar - Very good. The rest - meh!

I forgot to vote in my own poll! But I voted the same as you.

I’m surprised about Dunkirk as I had heard nothing but good things about it. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised since the last Nolan flick I liked was Dark Knight ten years ago. Ah well.

#11 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32168 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:57 AM

View Postblueschica, on 09 February 2018 - 12:36 AM, said:

I've only ever seen Batman Begins and The Dark Knight so I'm not much help ranking. They were very good but my favorite is always the Michael Keaton Batman.

Blasphemy!  ;)

Keaton’s always good. I’m just not a big fan of Burton...though I did like his Bat flicks when they were new. Went back and visited them a couple of times this century but unfortunately they didn’t hold up.

#12 Stormtron

Stormtron

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 7334 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:VA

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:39 AM

Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises
The Prestige
Memento
Insomnia
Interstellar
Inception

The Batman movies are probably my favorite just because they're Batman. I don't know. They're really the only ones I've felt the urge to watch multiple times though.

The Prestige, Memento, and Insomnia are good. I don't love them, but they're enjoyable.

Interstellar...I liked it but the end was dumb. Inception is decent but pretty overrated. I don't need to watch either one again.

I haven't seen Following or Dunkirk. My buddy gave me his copy of Dunkirk because he absolutely hated it, so I'll get around to watching it one day.

#13 Your_Lion

Your_Lion

    Professor Gumby

  • Members
  • 64685 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:West Yorkshire, UK
  • Interests:All I ever really wanted to do was play the guitar 'n bend the string like "Reent-toont-teent-toont-teenooneenoonee"

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:25 PM

I love Memento
Never seen Dunkirk or Following...I only just found out that Insomnia was Nolan
I enjoy all the ones that I've seen.

Of the Bat flicks, while Dark Knight is usually regarded as the best, I have to be in the right mood for it, while I find Batman Begins more re-watchable

#14 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 60706 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Ted Nugent

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:10 PM

View Postpxr5, on 09 February 2018 - 03:40 AM, said:

Dunkirk is an embarassment and a disgrace.
You are dead to me.

#15 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

    Crushed in Rio

  • Members *
  • 9497 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:28 PM

Voted for Interstellar. When it was released my daughter had just been born, and I watched it on a rare moment of peace and quiet. Because of the connection between the protagonist and his daughter, I cried a bunch of times. But Inception and Dunkirk are great too.

#16 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

    Creative Writing 101

  • Members
  • 10517 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Music, movies, my family....my goofy Shih Tzu.

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:32 PM

Insomnia is great.  Rated way too low.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users