Drummers: How to control your left foot on double pedal?

Del_Duio

Hi guys! I'm not an accomplished drummer by any stretch but I have been playing on and off for many years. Anyhow the other day I bit the bullet and bought a double pedal, which is something I've never owned before. I'm noticing right away that my left foot pedal seems way too "springy", though I'm not sure if that has anything to do with how I'm used to using my foot (on the hi-hat pedal) or if it's that the pedal needs more adjustment. I was able to get a slightly better feel and response by extending the left "marshmallow" so that it'd take a teeny bit more time to strike the bass drum over my right marshmallow but in the process I'm also kicking my own ass and hitting my shin a lot haha. Sorry for this wall of text, there's some sort of formatting issue with this computer right now. Thanks!

I'm no expert by any means, but my theory is that you should do whtever you need to do to make everythig feel right. By any means neccessary. With drumming, if that means you gotta weld some stuff together or rip some stuff apart, do it. It's really unconventional to go that far, but if it works, who cares, right?
  • Like 2

I'm no expert by any means, but my theory is that you should do whtever you need to do to make everythig feel right. By any means neccessary. With drumming, if that means you gotta weld some stuff together or rip some stuff apart, do it. It's really unconventional to go that far, but if it works, who cares, right?

Great advice! Yes, do whatever it takes to improve the feel!