What's With The Dryers On Stage?

The Notorious B.S.G.

Q: During the Vapor Trails tour, and later on the 30th Anniversary Tour, Geddy had a number of dryers on stage. Three for the VT tour, and two dryers plus a vending machine for the R30 tour. So what gives?

A: Geddy uses direct boxes instead of Bass amplifiers now... so instead of having an empty space behind him he added the dryers to keep it all linear. This started with the Vapor Trails tour. The snack vending machine is new for R30 and he changes the items for each show. I think that is for his own amusement and a testament to the band's sense of humor. The dryers also contain t-shirts, (which you can see tumbling in the dryers), which are thrown out into the audience towards the end of the show. They are special "souvenir t-shirts" which have RUSH logos on the front, and usually say something like, (and I'm paraphrasing, so forgive me ; "I got this t-shirt from dryer #1 on the Vapor Trails tour"). BTW, the dryers are operated with Canadian quarters only, and periodically throughout the show, you may have noticed technicians, roadies, celebrities, or fabulous babes coming out to add more quarters to keep the dryers running.

Also, according to Rush's official website, the band just likes that "Clean clean sound. That dry, yet warm sound."

(Thanks, Rivendell & ChefEllwood)

Ya know what's funny....There is a microphone in front of one of the dryers! It's an Audio Technica, I can see that much from the photos. I'm really not sure why it's there. Mabey just to be funny and add to the humor of the 'no bass rig' onstage.

Can someone explain what the direct boxes do? How does that work?

smile.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Oct 22 2004, 03:34 PM)
Can someone explain what the direct boxes do?  How does that work?

smile.gif

To put it in easy to understand terms...Direct boxes are devices that take a signal from a instrument and boost it by a set amount. This signal is then sent to any number of places, mixing board, amplifier, whatever.

The reason for this is, a straight bass guitar doesn't put out enough of a signal by itself so it needs a little help. Geddys routing is through direct boxes, split to a Sans Amp and straight to the main mixer. 1 channel is perfectly clean and the Sans amp channel is totally distorted. The sounds are blended together at the end and thats the sound you hear. No traditional stage amps are used, just direct lines. Helps keep the stage volume way down.

My band runs all direct, we have no amps on stage.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Oct 13 2004, 05:55 AM)
Ya know what's funny....There is a microphone in front of one of the dryers! It's an Audio Technica, I can see that much from the photos. I'm really not sure why it's there. Mabey just to be funny and add to the humor of the 'no bass rig' onstage.

You know what's also funny? There's a spongebob doll on Peart's drumset! I saw that and went into hysterics! rofl3.gif

I also liked the Rush look-a-likes who came on stage and changed the clothes in the dryers! These guys certainly had the show planned laugh.gif

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Oct 22 2004, 07:03 PM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Oct 22 2004, 10:57 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Oct 22 2004, 03:34 PM)
Can someone explain what the direct boxes do?  How does that work?

smile.gif

To put it in easy to understand terms...Direct boxes are devices that take a signal from a instrument and boost it by a set amount. This signal is then sent to any number of places, mixing board, amplifier, whatever.

The reason for this is, a straight bass guitar doesn't put out enough of a signal by itself so it needs a little help. Geddys routing is through direct boxes, split to a Sans Amp and straight to the main mixer. 1 channel is perfectly clean and the Sans amp channel is totally distorted. The sounds are blended together at the end and thats the sound you hear. No traditional stage amps are used, just direct lines. Helps keep the stage volume way down.

My band runs all direct, we have no amps on stage.

It also keeps the stage free of clutter

unless some lunatic puts dryers there.....

lol

the reason that there are only 2 dryers on the 30th ann. tour is becasue if you watch the rush in rio dvd real close, you can see the third dryer going in to the black hole of cygnus X-1!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (wmsb72673 @ Jan 15 2005, 06:52 PM)
the reason that there are only 2 dryers on the 30th ann. tour is becasue if you watch the rush in rio dvd real close, you can see the third dryer going in to the black hole of cygnus X-1!!!!!!!!!

It stops, and while they play the medley for Cygnus X-1, it actually does go into the black hole of Cygnus X-1, along with the dragon!

I think they have dryers onstage because Alex likes wearing the same shirt every night and with the dryers there it makes it easy to dry it right before the show every night. I bet they have washing machines backstage because it's a hazzard onstage because if it leaks they might get electrocuted.

Archived