Spirit/Chemistry

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 881 posts
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 01 February 2018 - 03:14 PM

Happily zooming along in my car listening to Signals the other day when suddenly after 35 years i find that the flurry of guitar notes in the chorus of Chemistry is  almost the same if not the same as in Spirit of radio.Now i haven't A/B both tracks yet(i have more important things to do like mowing the lawn) and i am not going to plug my guitar in ( the missus is in a foul mood) but are these little motifs the same? Anyway it was like the penny dropped after all this time that at the traffic lights i punched the air and went 'Yyyyeeeeeeesssssssss'.One or two people looked.

Sponsored Post

#2 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6345 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 01 February 2018 - 03:45 PM

Not the same, but same sort of idea.

#3 tas7

tas7

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:16 PM

Listen to see if you can hear Geddy sort of sing the word Chemistry at the beginning, at around 0:44.

#4 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 20391 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:27 PM

View Postgrasbo, on 01 February 2018 - 03:14 PM, said:

Happily zooming along in my car listening to Signals the other day when suddenly after 35 years i find that the flurry of guitar notes in the chorus of Chemistry is  almost the same if not the same as in Spirit of radio.Now i haven't A/B both tracks yet(i have more important things to do like mowing the lawn) and i am not going to plug my guitar in ( the missus is in a foul mood) but are these little motifs the same? Anyway it was like the penny dropped after all this time that at the traffic lights i punched the air and went 'Yyyyeeeeeeesssssssss'.One or two people looked.

Not the same, but both riffs do feature a looping general flow of high-to-low pitch.

Edited by JARG, 01 February 2018 - 07:04 PM.

#5 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 17421 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:51 PM

I always loved Alex's guitar work on this song.

Mick

#6 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 20391 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:07 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 01 February 2018 - 04:51 PM, said:

Mick

It was a fun one to watch them do live. Prior to the concert, I had assumed Geddy would be doing the synth melody on the pedals during the chorus, but turns out it was Alex who did it.

#7 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 881 posts
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:19 PM

Finished mowing the lawn and missus in a reasonable mood so A/B'ed them and yep not the same but as mentioned same idea. As diehard Rush fans we are always looking for little clues or references in their music,lyrics or covers etc. :7up:

#8 Lurkst

Lurkst

The Seeker

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 07:47 AM

View Postbluefox4000, on 01 February 2018 - 04:51 PM, said:

Mick

Allegedly the solo was recorded outside at Le Studio with the amps blasting across a lake and echoing off the hills on the other side. Quite something to witness I imagine!

Great song, can't believe it never appeared live after the Signals tour. Maybe Geddy will play it at future solo gigs ;)

Regarding the repeating guitar motif. I remember reading an Alex interview when Victor came out, it was brought up that there was a similar lick in I Am The Spirit, and he said he considered that one of his trade marks.

#9 Wil1972

Wil1972

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1833 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 09:35 AM

View Postgrasbo, on 01 February 2018 - 03:14 PM, said:

Noticed this too. Also reminds me of a similar thing with the Hemispheres prelude and Red Barchetta, those harmonics.

#10 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 881 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:50 PM

Not to mention 'I own thar chord' in Far Cry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users