Spirit/Chemistry

grasbo

Happily zooming along in my car listening to Signals the other day when suddenly after 35 years i find that the flurry of guitar notes in the chorus of Chemistry is almost the same if not the same as in Spirit of radio.Now i haven't A/B both tracks yet(i have more important things to do like mowing the lawn) and i am not going to plug my guitar in ( the missus is in a foul mood) but are these little motifs the same? Anyway it was like the penny dropped after all this time that at the traffic lights i punched the air and went 'Yyyyeeeeeeesssssssss'.One or two people looked.

Happily zooming along in my car listening to Signals the other day when suddenly after 35 years i find that the flurry of guitar notes in the chorus of Chemistry is almost the same if not the same as in Spirit of radio.Now i haven't A/B both tracks yet(i have more important things to do like mowing the lawn) and i am not going to plug my guitar in ( the missus is in a foul mood) but are these little motifs the same? Anyway it was like the penny dropped after all this time that at the traffic lights i punched the air and went 'Yyyyeeeeeeesssssssss'.One or two people looked.

Not the same, but both riffs do feature a looping general flow of high-to-low pitch.

Edited by JARG
  • Like 3

I always loved Alex's guitar work on this song.

Mick

It was a fun one to watch them do live. Prior to the concert, I had assumed Geddy would be doing the synth melody on the pedals during the chorus, but turns out it was Alex who did it.

Finished mowing the lawn and missus in a reasonable mood so A/B'ed them and yep not the same but as mentioned same idea. As diehard Rush fans we are always looking for little clues or references in their music,lyrics or covers etc. :7up:

I always loved Alex's guitar work on this song.

Mick

Allegedly the solo was recorded outside at Le Studio with the amps blasting across a lake and echoing off the hills on the other side. Quite something to witness I imagine!

Great song, can't believe it never appeared live after the Signals tour. Maybe Geddy will play it at future solo gigs ;)

Regarding the repeating guitar motif. I remember reading an Alex interview when Victor came out, it was brought up that there was a similar lick in I Am The Spirit, and he said he considered that one of his trade marks.

Noticed this too. Also reminds me of a similar thing with the Hemispheres prelude and Red Barchetta, those harmonics.

Not to mention 'I own thar chord' in Far Cry.
  • Like 1