Was lead guitarists/guitar solos better in the 70s or the 80s?

fraroc

80s Malmsteen was so talented and yet so boring to me.

And reading bluefox’s above post, yeah I’d take Tom Scholz over Malmsteen in a second.

Scholz vs. EVH is a much more interesting question. Boston spawned AOR, VH spawned hair metal.

• Like 1

And reading bluefox’s above post, yeah I’d take Tom Scholz over Malmsteen in a second.

Scholz vs. EVH is a much more interesting question. Boston spawned AOR, VH spawned hair metal.

That's a tough one.

Scholz for me.

if Eddie spawned hair metal i'd love to slap him.

like....REALLY BADLY., lol

Mick

• Like 1

70's for sure.

David Gilmour

Steve Howe

Steve Hackett

Alex Lifeson

Joe Perry

Mick Taylor

Eddie Van Halen

Martin Barre

Eric Clapton

Jimmy Page

Jeff Beck

Tony Iommi

For the most part the 80's guitarist and solos were all about speed. No soul, all about showmanship and totally boring. :finbar:

• Like 3

70's for sure.

David Gilmour

Steve Howe

Steve Hackett

Alex Lifeson

Joe Perry

Mick Taylor

Eddie Van Halen

Martin Barre

Eric Clapton

Jimmy Page

Jeff Beck

Tony Iommi

For the most part the 80's guitarist and solos were all about speed. No soul, all about showmanship and totally boring. :finbar:

now you say that it is true.

and don't get me wrong it's impressive at first. then it's like......next, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Seems like the 80's were like rush. Keys at times over guitars. Still some killer playing in the 80's to say the least .

But when you think of killer solos and overplayed tunes its the 70's.

Freebird

Stairway to heaven

Hotel california

Etc etc

• Like 2

Also, if you want to make the case for the 80s, the Yngwei Malmsteems of the world are not your best argument. Some more persuasive examples include:

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Dave Mustaine/Chris Poland

the dudes in Maiden (though they can get boring too often)

KK and Glen (though some of their best stuff was in the 70s)

Slash

Richie Sambora (look, he's hair metal but some of his solos are actually iconic, much as Bon Jovi are rightly looked a little down on, the guy could really play with feeling)

Mark Knopfler (though he started in the 70s didn't he?)

• Like 2

That's a tough one.

Scholz for me.

Mick

Well, I suppose we can't just blame VH...but like...Eddie was the sole reason anyone and everyone started finger tapping all the time in the 80s, and that did lead to a good bit of the soullessness of so much hair metal.

• Like 1

That's a tough one.

Scholz for me.

Mick

Well, I suppose we can't just blame VH...but like...Eddie was the sole reason anyone and everyone started finger tapping all the time in the 80s, and that did lead to a good bit of the soullessness of so much hair metal.

This isn’t contrary to what you’re saying about finger tapping. It’s just an old 60s clip...

• Like 1

That's a tough one.

Scholz for me.

Mick

This isn’t contrary to what you’re saying about finger tapping. It’s just an old 60s clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7M8L1rAUsI&sns=em

Lol, yeah I've seen that. Also Steve Hackett likes to claim he invented it with Genesis on The Giant Hogweed. I don't think anyone invented it, EVH just used it in a way no one had thought of before and made it really popular.

• Like 1

Also, if you want to make the case for the 80s, the Yngwei Malmsteems of the world are not your best argument. Some more persuasive examples include:

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Dave Mustaine/Chris Poland

the dudes in Maiden (though they can get boring too often)

KK and Glen (though some of their best stuff was in the 70s)

Slash

Richie Sambora (look, he's hair metal but some of his solos are actually iconic, much as Bon Jovi are rightly looked a little down on, the guy could really play with feeling)

Mark Knopfler (though he started in the 70s didn't he?)

Yes Dire Straits first album was 77 or 78 i believe.

And i'll admit.......i LOVE Sambora. he can play and he can sing his face off.

Mick

That's a tough one.

Scholz for me.

Mick

At least two handed tapping, sweep picking, alternate picking and pinch harmonics were things that were developed in the 80s that were drastically different and impressive during that time period.

In the 70s, the framework for guitar solos barely changed. And they became boring, pedestrian, and horrifically repetitive. Same old blues scales, same old tencniques, same old bullshit. In 1978, EVH changed all of that with Eruption.

That's a tough one.

Scholz for me.

Mick

At least two handed tapping, sweep picking, alternate picking and pinch harmonics were things that were developed in the 80s that were drastically different and impressive during that time period.

In the 70s, the framework for guitar solos barely changed. And they became boring, pedestrian, and horrifically repetitive. Same old blues scales, same old tencniques, same old bullshit. In 1978, EVH changed all of that with Eruption.

Unable to agree.

• Like 4

Those are all technical terms that have nothing to do with the musicality of what's being played. To a guitarist, they are mere techniques, potentially impressive ones, and that's the most those words should ever mean to anyone. If you can do those things, I am impressed, but it doesn't at all mean I love you. James Taylor I doubt can do any of those things and I love his guitar work much more than that of Mick Mars, the guy in Def Leppard, or really any of the hair metal guitarists. Those soft melodies and soothing chords and accompanying harmonies vastly outweigh the work of someone who dedicates their skill and talent to learning impressive technique rather than playing great music.

I'm gonna brag here and say people have been impressed by my acoustic playing and singing on some occasions and have complimented me. Now I'm gonna be honest and say I know maybe half a dozen chord structures, maybe a few dozen songs, maybe a dozen or so more bits of songs and riffs, can't cleanly play a guitar solo for my life, strum much harder than what seems to be the recommended standard, rarely play through a few songs without screwing something up in at least one of them, can't use any of the techniques you listed above, can barely play a couple scales cleanly, and only know one very pedestrian way to play a blues (just a power chord where the top note moves up a whole step). Obviously, I'm not a technically skilled guitarist in pretty much any sense, but also obviously (gonna brag again) I can impress and move people with my playing (and singing). I feel like that's much more important than knowing how to sweep.

EVH did change the way people approached guitar with Eruption, otherwise, to quote Luke Skywalker "every word you just said was wrong."

• Like 2

I would say they were definitely better in the 80s. In the 80s, you had players like EVH, Randy Rhoads, Jake E. Lee, Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Vito Bratta etc. that all had a very unique sound and approach to the guitar.

I'm sorry, but in the 70s, a lot of lead guitar sounded very pedestrian and similar to one another. It wasn't until EVH and then Randy Rhoads busted on the scene that guitar players got a boot up the ass that they needed.

HAHAHA!

MYLES RULES!

FRAROC YOU!

I like your threads. Don't understand "I Can't See For Myles and all of his hate.

Great question!!

Surprised this isn't a poll.

Glad it isn't.

I can't vote on this one.

80's for me but man the 70's were great too.

Why would Eddie and Randy get put in the 80's because of more fame?

Those cats started out and kicked ass in the 70's.

Hello????

Randy kicked ass on the first two Quiet Riot albums.

Priest, Maiden, RUSH all 70s.

Sorry PAT!

I'm changing my mind.

The best solos are from the FUCKKING SEVENTIES!

The greatest decade of MUSIC ON PLANET EARTH!

FUKK MODERN MUSIC!

FUCKK THE GRAMMYS!

This thread proves to me that ROCK IS DEAD.

Name the best guitar players and their solos in 2017-2018??????

ZERO!