Cartoonist Mort Walker (1923 - 2018) Creator of Beetle Bailey

Principled Man

MORT WALKER was one of those people whose eyes smiled every bit as brightly as their mouth. And so, when I sat next to the tuxedoed cartoonist at a 2010 Jersey City dinner and asked him whether he ever had trouble coming up with ideas, he got a playful glint in his eye before he replied: “The other day, I took my wife to the doctor. I waited an hour. By the time she came out, I’d written a few dozen jokes.”

Even that anecdote was delivered with the snap of an old-school one-liner. Whether he was wearing a military uniform in World War II Italy or black-tie in modern Jersey, Walker was forever determined to find the funny in life.

How else could a true “gag man” succeed over eight decades, graduating from greeting cards to become one of the most-read cartoonists on the planet?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2018/01/27/beetle-bailey-creator-mort-walker-94-created-laughter-nearly-every-day-of-his-life/?utm_term=.620f77deaadf

5a6d1645cbd7c.image.jpg

http://www.h2comics.com/images/beetle%20bailey%20019.jpg

1505284-01.jpg

• Like 4

RIP, Mort ! :rose: I always enjoyed both comic strips. It's been a long running discussion in our family whether Hi and Lois' baby talking to the sunbeam is cute or really stupid . . . :facepalm: I always voted for cute. :)

The best Beetle Bailey strip was when Sarge explained to Beetle why a hammer cost 600 dollars.

He took a "regular" hammer and tap-tap-tapped a dozen times on a nail. He took the $600 hammer and drove a nail with one big WHAM!

Beetle fell for it completely, and Sarge was relieved..... :laughing guy: :laughing guy: