A Farewell tour

71 replies to this topic

#21 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:00 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 26 January 2018 - 12:41 AM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 26 January 2018 - 12:02 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 25 January 2018 - 11:27 PM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 25 January 2018 - 03:43 PM, said:

I'm holding out for the Rush cruise!

They’re too good for an all-you-can-eat, gaudy interiored, fat bastard cruise.

P.S. I enjoy cruises.

:)   :)   Yeah, I can't quite picture them there!

I was just surprised to see how many bands do them!  Basically,  almost everyone, except the A++ listers like U2, Elton John, and Springsteen.  There are cruises with KISS, Styx, Yes, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Joe Bonamassa, Marillion, Bad Company, etc etc.  The pay must be good!  

I've never been on one.  My sister lives near Tampa and has been on a few but her stories (plus those of a friend that worked for Norwegian Cruise Line) have left me wondering about ones on really big ships.  I have a friend who's nuts for European river cruises and those look like a lot of fun!  There are smaller ship ones that do the Alaskan inside passage or the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence river and those look really interesting as well.  Maybe in a few years.

https://www.rocklege...se.com/artists/

Maybe someone could talk Geddy or Alex into this one!
Posted Image

Put it this way, if you’d like to travel then don’t take a cruise.
If you want to eat like a pig, see some onboard entertainment, get drunk whenever, and enjoy sunshine from the sea’s point of view, then take a cruise. They’re certainly not for everyone and 99 times out of 100 I’d rather not take a cruise but that one time is worth the experience.

From that list I’d see Hackett, Palmer, Barre (I’d be most interested in him above the entire list), Neal Morse, Saga, and Belew. I don’t know many of the others but I’d likely check them out because I’m there and there’s nothing to do in the middle of the sea anyway!

The eating and drinking sound good !!  :lol:  :lol:   I forgot, there was a Moody Blues cruise as well!  It actually took place about two weeks ago.  They had the Moody Blues and "The Orchestra". which I had to look up- turns out it is ELO without Jeff Lynne.  But you make a cruise sound good! :)

Sponsored Post

#22 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 31929 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:07 AM

View Postblueschica, on 26 January 2018 - 01:00 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 26 January 2018 - 12:41 AM, said:

P.S. I enjoy cruises.

I was just surprised to see how many bands do them!  Basically,  almost everyone, except the A++ listers like U2, Elton John, and Springsteen.  There are cruises with KISS, Styx, Yes, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Joe Bonamassa, Marillion, Bad Company, etc etc.  The pay must be good!  

I've never been on one.  My sister lives near Tampa and has been on a few but her stories (plus those of a friend that worked for Norwegian Cruise Line) have left me wondering about ones on really big ships.  I have a friend who's nuts for European river cruises and those look like a lot of fun!  There are smaller ship ones that do the Alaskan inside passage or the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence river and those look really interesting as well.  Maybe in a few years.

Posted Image

Put it this way, if you’d like to travel then don’t take a cruise.
If you want to eat like a pig, see some onboard entertainment, get drunk whenever, and enjoy sunshine from the sea’s point of view, then take a cruise. They’re certainly not for everyone and 99 times out of 100 I’d rather not take a cruise but that one time is worth the experience.

From that list I’d see Hackett, Palmer, Barre (I’d be most interested in him above the entire list), Neal Morse, Saga, and Belew. I don’t know many of the others but I’d likely check them out because I’m there and there’s nothing to do in the middle of the sea anyway!

The eating and drinking sound good !!  :lol:  :lol:   I forgot, there was a Moody Blues cruise as well!  It actually took place about two weeks ago.  They had the Moody Blues and "The Orchestra". which I had to look up- turns out it is ELO without Jeff Lynne.  But you make a cruise sound good! :)

I do?! Man you’re an eternal optimist. :lol: I just admitted that I’d only go on a cruise 1 out of 100 trips. :lol:

Truly, I think I enjoyed it (back over part of the Christmas holidays ‘09) because I was with half of the Blaze family. And half of the Blaze family is still a lot, close to a dozen people. Family fun and all that. :)

Edited by JohnnyBlaze, 26 January 2018 - 01:09 AM.

#23 Rushman14

Rushman14

Mr. Hollywood

• Members *
  • 11694 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:28 PM

View Postgoose, on 25 January 2018 - 10:05 PM, said:

Posted Image

Farewell.

just seeing this pic again is like a gut punch

#24 Stan Getz

Stan Getz

The Seeker

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:motorcycling

Posted 26 January 2018 - 07:09 PM

P.S. I enjoy cruises.

Posted Image

Martin Barre's band is absolutely freaking fantastic! Saw them 3 times last year and they'll be back for another go in the US with a new album later this year. I already have our tickets for their 2 shows at Daryl's House in October. I cannot recommend highly enough that if they are playing anywhere near you...go!

Along with Rush, Jethro Tull was always a favorite of mine over the years. Was bummed when Tull disbanded (yes I know Ian A. is still touring and performing as in 'Jethro Tull by Ian Anderson' but this version of Tull is a shadow of its past glory). They're doing a 50th Anniversary tour this year and after seeing them last year...I'll pass. If we agree Geddy struggled live the last several tours, Ian's voice is gone. Most times he's inaudible at best, and the songs he knows he cant do at all they have the vocals are pre-recorded by various guest singers and played on the screen during the concert. His flute and stage presence is still quite good, but c'mon...its time.

Martin Barre on the other hand, is reborn playing small venues for the love of the music and performing. He's now 70 (or maybe 71), in excellent physical condition, and has the energy and chops of a 40 year old. Each musician in his band is stellar and they rock out for 2 hours of lesser played Tull classics, Martin's original songs with a few blues numbers mixed in the set. Last fall we saw them front row at a winery and he was running around stage all night, and during the guitar solo in 'Teacher' stood right on our table and then jumped down and ran through the crowd playing...never missed a beat. Jeff Beck's drummer, Jonathan Joseph, sat in on one stop we saw last year and he flat out crushed it. And who knew Martin was so damn funny, I must have seen Tull 30 times and never recall hearing Martin say a word, now on his own his dry Brit humor is on full display during the evening.

#25 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4203 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:02 AM

View PostStan Getz, on 26 January 2018 - 07:09 PM, said:

P.S. I enjoy cruises.

Posted Image

Martin Barre's band is absolutely freaking fantastic! Saw them 3 times last year and they'll be back for another go in the US with a new album later this year. I already have our tickets for their 2 shows at Daryl's House in October. I cannot recommend highly enough that if they are playing anywhere near you...go!

Along with Rush, Jethro Tull was always a favorite of mine over the years. Was bummed when Tull disbanded (yes I know Ian A. is still touring and performing as in 'Jethro Tull by Ian Anderson' but this version of Tull is a shadow of its past glory). They're doing a 50th Anniversary tour this year and after seeing them last year...I'll pass. If we agree Geddy struggled live the last several tours, Ian's voice is gone. Most times he's inaudible at best, and the songs he knows he cant do at all they have the vocals are pre-recorded by various guest singers and played on the screen during the concert. His flute and stage presence is still quite good, but c'mon...its time.

Martin Barre on the other hand, is reborn playing small venues for the love of the music and performing. He's now 70 (or maybe 71), in excellent physical condition, and has the energy and chops of a 40 year old. Each musician in his band is stellar and they rock out for 2 hours of lesser played Tull classics, Martin's original songs with a few blues numbers mixed in the set. Last fall we saw them front row at a winery and he was running around stage all night, and during the guitar solo in 'Teacher' stood right on our table and then jumped down and ran through the crowd playing...never missed a beat. Jeff Beck's drummer, Jonathan Joseph, sat in on one stop we saw last year and he flat out crushed it. And who knew Martin was so damn funny, I must have seen Tull 30 times and never recall hearing Martin say a word, now on his own his dry Brit humor is on full display during the evening.

I'd see 75 to 80 percent of those bands, but I'm not a cruise guy so that's a non starter.

#26 Tick

Tick

Mr: 26,000!!!

• Members *
  • 26493 posts
  • Interests:I like big butts and i cannot lie, you other brothers cant deny !....oh sorry, lost my mind for a minute.

Posted 27 January 2018 - 04:09 PM

How freaking cool would that be!

#27 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6345 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 27 January 2018 - 06:01 PM

View PostTick, on 27 January 2018 - 04:09 PM, said:

I guess Peart would have his own motorboat to follow the cruise ship between gigs.

#28 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 7116 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 06:11 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 27 January 2018 - 06:01 PM, said:

I guess Peart would have his own motorboat to follow the cruise ship between gigs.

:laughing guy:  :laughing guy:  :laughing guy:

#29 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 31929 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:05 AM

It’d be a jet ski because he’s such a Ghost Rider...but he’d be followed by Mosbach riding his own jet ski. And instead of describing tumbleweeds and sedimentary rock on the winding roads, he’d describe crustaceans and barnacles. Workin’ them angelfish :P

#30 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 7116 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:03 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 28 January 2018 - 06:05 AM, said:

It’d be a jet ski because he’s such a Ghost Rider...but he’d be followed by Mosbach riding his own jet ski. And instead of describing tumbleweeds and sedimentary rock on the winding roads, he’d describe crustaceans and barnacles. Workin’ them angelfish :P
:lol: :lol: :lol:

#31 Planet X-1

Planet X-1

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:11 AM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 25 January 2018 - 03:44 PM, said:

I imagine they'll be playing High Water? :P

Followed up with No One at the Bridge...(which will be shoehorned into SuperDisruptor... :D)

#32 jnoble

jnoble

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1188 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:40 AM

R40 WAS their (maybe unofficially but everyone kind of knew) "farewell" tour

#33 Airship2112

Airship2112

The Seeker

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:52 PM

I would hope the setlist would include Red tide,natural science, the fountain of lamneth, 2112, the wreckers, alien shore, Between the sun and moon, the way the wind blows, spindrift, sweet miracle, virtuality, and Xanadu

#34 Relayer2112

Relayer2112

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:27 PM

Why would Rush have announced a farewell tour when....

1.  They didn't need the publicity to bring out the fans for R40

2.  They didn't want to close any future possibilities, however remote they might seem.

#35 thizzellewashington

thizzellewashington

The Seeker

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:55 PM

The original press release for R40 said it was likely their last tour, and then a year later they released a feature-length documentary about coming to terms with being done, so I'm not sure what the confusion is.

#36 fraroc

fraroc

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2598 posts
  • Interests:Rock music, roller coasters, aviation, writing novels,

Posted 03 March 2018 - 10:11 AM

Rush doing anything else would require Neil to actually get off his ass and come out of retirement, which we all know he's not going to do.

#37 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 17421 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:02 PM

Rush had one......R40. go buy it today, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000, 03 March 2018 - 01:02 PM.

#38 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

Loves that dirty water

• Members *
  • 24099 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:17 PM

Am I the only one who saw Time Stand Still?

#39 fraroc

fraroc

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2598 posts
  • Interests:Rock music, roller coasters, aviation, writing novels,

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:37 PM

View Postthizzellewashington, on 28 February 2018 - 09:55 PM, said:

The original press release for R40 said it was likely their last tour, and then a year later they released a feature-length documentary about coming to terms with being done, so I'm not sure what the confusion is.

For the most part, it was the fact that they gave us mixed signals until Alex finally confirmed that they were done.

For me, I knew they were never going to tour again when I heard the rumors that Neil threw a hissy fit and threatened to quit halfway through R40 after Alex and Geddy proposed more dates.

Edited by fraroc, 03 March 2018 - 11:37 PM.

#40 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 17421 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:23 AM

View Postfraroc, on 03 March 2018 - 11:37 PM, said:

View Postthizzellewashington, on 28 February 2018 - 09:55 PM, said:

For the most part, it was the fact that they gave us mixed signals until Alex finally confirmed that they were done.

For me, I knew they were never going to tour again when I heard the rumors that Neil threw a hissy fit and threatened to quit halfway through R40 after Alex and Geddy proposed more dates.

Sigh..................just......

Mick

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users