Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 12305 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:31 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 25 January 2018 - 07:45 PM, said:

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 25 January 2018 - 12:39 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 25 January 2018 - 09:00 AM, said:

Is that how I was at that age? With Rush I wasn’t anyway. I was already hardcore by the time I was 9. I knew all the lyrics, all the trivia, etc. I can’t exactly remember what I actually said about them to classmates though.

A year later as a 5th grader, I was considered cool because I was going to the Signals concert. That might’ve been the last time anyone thought I was cool. :P

The Signals concert, I'm kinda surprised anyone thought you were cool then. :P

I love Signals, but it's not exactly their "coolest" album, lol.

Some Rush history in perspective...

- Signals followed Rush’s most well-known album. So naturally, Signals wasn’t considered uncool.

- Subdivisions and Countdown were played like crazy on the still relatively new, immensely popular MTV. All the Moving Pictures hits were still being played on MTV too.

- “Video Killed the Radio Star” was MTV’s first video played but Subdivisions was MTV’s first video played under the later, often used heading “World Premiere Video”. Why can’t I find confirmation of this somewhere online? No idea. My memory is solid.

- There were many Rush fans who were nerds but nobody thought you were uncool BECAUSE you liked Rush. At that time anyway.

- a 5th grader in ‘82-‘83 going to a Rush show? That’s cool baby!

Look how cool I was back in 5th grade! (sitting in the front row, far right)
Posted Image

:blaze:

:lol:

Great pic JB !!

ok, sitting in the front row, dead center - I guess every school had that one big kid who appeared older and larger than everyone else ... We had that same kid in the 5th too !!!

Sponsored Post

#22 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32171 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:25 PM

View PostLucas, on 25 January 2018 - 08:31 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 25 January 2018 - 07:45 PM, said:

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 25 January 2018 - 12:39 PM, said:

Is that how I was at that age? With Rush I wasn’t anyway. I was already hardcore by the time I was 9. I knew all the lyrics, all the trivia, etc. I can’t exactly remember what I actually said about them to classmates though.

A year later as a 5th grader, I was considered cool because I was going to the Signals concert. That might’ve been the last time anyone thought I was cool. :P

The Signals concert, I'm kinda surprised anyone thought you were cool then. :P

I love Signals, but it's not exactly their "coolest" album, lol.

Some Rush history in perspective...

- Signals followed Rush’s most well-known album. So naturally, Signals wasn’t considered uncool.

- Subdivisions and Countdown were played like crazy on the still relatively new, immensely popular MTV. All the Moving Pictures hits were still being played on MTV too.

- “Video Killed the Radio Star” was MTV’s first video played but Subdivisions was MTV’s first video played under the later, often used heading “World Premiere Video”. Why can’t I find confirmation of this somewhere online? No idea. My memory is solid.

- There were many Rush fans who were nerds but nobody thought you were uncool BECAUSE you liked Rush. At that time anyway.

- a 5th grader in ‘82-‘83 going to a Rush show? That’s cool baby!

Look how cool I was back in 5th grade! (sitting in the front row, far right)
Posted Image

:blaze:

Great pic JB !!

ok, sitting in the front row, dead center - I guess every school had that one big kid who appeared older and larger than everyone else ... We had that same kid in the 5th too !!!
:cheers:

Yeah, that big lug was a gentle giant. We nicknamed him “Dinky Dog” in reference to his last name and the Hanna Barbera cartoon that was popular around that time.

#23 Wil1972

Wil1972

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1972 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:42 PM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 25 January 2018 - 04:19 PM, said:

View PostWil1972, on 25 January 2018 - 01:32 PM, said:

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 25 January 2018 - 12:45 PM, said:

View Postpxr5, on 25 January 2018 - 09:12 AM, said:

"That's a guy" lol. Some of those kids look and act older than 9. Boy, they grow up quick.

Everyone has their "that's a guy?!" moment. Even on the relatively low TS vocal, Ged just does not sound like a dude to the uninitiated ear, :lol:

That happened to me with a co-worker who heard Anthem. He thought it was a girl and refused to believe otherwise until I showed him a photo of the band.
I'm surprised that worked.

Haha!

#24 Wil1972

Wil1972

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1972 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:43 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 25 January 2018 - 04:30 PM, said:

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 25 January 2018 - 04:19 PM, said:

"That's a guy" lol. Some of those kids look and act older than 9. Boy, they grow up quick.

Everyone has their "that's a guy?!" moment. Even on the relatively low TS vocal, Ged just does not sound like a dude to the uninitiated ear, :lol:

That happened to me with a co-worker who heard Anthem. He thought it was a girl and refused to believe otherwise until I showed him a photo of the band.
I'm surprised that worked.
Posted Image

Steven Tyler was a poet when he wrote "Dude (Looks Like A Lady)" :P

I avoided using 70s era Rush as proof for this very reason!

#25 New_World_Man

New_World_Man

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1019 posts
  • Interests:Music, internet, reading, outdoors, movies, etc.

Posted 26 January 2018 - 04:28 PM

You know Geddy has a high voice when a kid thinks he's a woman. Lol.

Edited by New_World_Man, 26 January 2018 - 04:28 PM.

#26 New World Kid

New World Kid

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5676 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:37 PM

Ugh. Don't give Fine Brothers Productions any clicks. They're f***ing scum.

#27 Mosher

Mosher

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Geography, music, basketball, philosophy, fantasy, writing, world-building

Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:49 PM

I first heard Tom Sawyer when I was 11 (when it came out).

I immediately loved it, though it would be a few years before I realized that the same band that played Tom also made Closer, Spirit, Freewill, Subdivisions, Body Electric, etc.

Despite immediately loving it, a neighbor kid who was 15 threatened to beat up any of us if we didn't like it. I'm sure he was kidding, but that was how big Tom Sawyer was.

#28 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 32719 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 07:40 PM

I fell in love with "Tom Sawyer" when it first hit the streets.  I was in the 8th grade.  I was already two years into drum lessons.  I remember my drum instructor Ray Libby wanted to teach me Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams" and it was simple.
The following week I brought in my "Moving Pictures" cassette and asked him to teach me "YYZ."  He did.  I've been obsessed with drumming to RUSH music ever since.

#29 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 28334 posts
  • Interests:American Muscle/Sports cars, Movies, New York City Subway, Cigar Lounges

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:20 PM

“That’s a guy”?

#30 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32171 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 04:55 AM

View PostMosher, on 26 January 2018 - 05:49 PM, said:

I first heard Tom Sawyer when I was 11 (when it came out).

I immediately loved it, though it would be a few years before I realized that the same band that played Tom also made Closer, Spirit, Freewill, Subdivisions, Body Electric, etc.

Despite immediately loving it, a neighbor kid who was 15 threatened to beat up any of us if we didn't like it. I'm sure he was kidding, but that was how big Tom Sawyer was.

Sorry if I scared you back then. You’re right, I wasn’t really going to beat you guys up.

;)

#31 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

Loves that dirty water

• Members *
  • 24847 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 07:30 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 25 January 2018 - 09:05 AM, said:

What did you guys think of Rush when you were that age (9-12)?

Were you even aware of the band?

What do/did your kids think of Rush at that age?

I was 12 when I got into them.  Their latest album was Permanent Waves.

My son and I saw the R40 show when he was 12.  He loved it.

#32 ozzy85

ozzy85

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3526 posts
  • Interests:Metal. Beer. Powerbelching. \m/

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:11 PM

That didn't even help my first wife... she saw Geddy in his kimono and said "That's a kinda homely chick," or something pretty close.

#33 Wil1972

Wil1972

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1972 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:50 PM

View Postozzy85, on 03 February 2018 - 10:11 PM, said:

That didn't even help my first wife... she saw Geddy in his kimono and said "That's a kinda homely chick," or something pretty close.

Haha!

#34 liquidcrystalcompass

liquidcrystalcompass

Ugly Betty is keeping me AWAKE!

• Members *
  • 20079 posts
  • Interests:Family, Sports, Music, Reading, The Outdoors, Ted Nugent

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:47 PM

View Postozzy85, on 03 February 2018 - 10:11 PM, said:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users