3 replies to this topic

#1 workingcinderellaman

workingcinderellaman

The Red Barchetta

• Members *
  • 31755 posts
  • Interests:Bikes (Motorcycles), Skiing, Airplanes, Ted Nugent

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:13 AM

I'm not a computer guy, so I don't know a ton about this stuff. But over this year's Black Friday sales, I picked up an inexpensive 43inch 4k tv at Shopko for the intent of using it as a huge computer monitor. It works, but with issues and I was wondering if it's because it's a cheap tv or if it has something to do with the video card.

The problem is that there's a slight delay in the monitor which creates a big problem when trying to navigate the cursor with a mouse. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening or how to fix it? I may have to just use it as a tv and get a more expensive one if that's the problem.

Sponsored Post

#2 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 6842 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:24 PM

I don't know much about it but this article has some ideas to check out. Hope it helps!

https://www.urtech.c...lag-4k-screens/

Edited by blueschica, 23 January 2018 - 01:25 PM.

#3 KenJennings

KenJennings

Mr. Establishment

• Members *
  • 20125 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:48 PM

View Postworkingcinderellaman, on 23 January 2018 - 10:13 AM, said:

I'm not a computer guy, so I don't know a ton about this stuff. But over this year's Black Friday sales, I picked up an inexpensive 43inch 4k tv at Shopko for the intent of using it as a huge computer monitor. It works, but with issues and I was wondering if it's because it's a cheap tv or if it has something to do with the video card.

The problem is that there's a slight delay in the monitor which creates a big problem when trying to navigate the cursor with a mouse. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening or how to fix it? I may have to just use it as a tv and get a more expensive one if that's the problem.

Input lag is the big problem when using a TV as a monitor.

Higher end TVs are better about it (typically for gaming use) but inexpensive and generic models just aren't built with input speed in mind, because for most TV applications, a little bit of input lag is no big deal. If you're watching TV, being behind by a split second is nothing to worry about. But when you're doing something that requires an immediate response, such as moving a mouse, or playing games, it can kill your experience. It's probably a fine TV to use for watching shows and movies, but it likely just wasn't built to respond quickly enough to for PC use.

There may be some tricks to increase performance a bit, but I think you're probably always going to have some lag with a setup like that.

Edited by KenJennings, 23 January 2018 - 06:53 PM.

#4 workingcinderellaman

workingcinderellaman

The Red Barchetta

• Members *
  • 31755 posts
  • Interests:Bikes (Motorcycles), Skiing, Airplanes, Ted Nugent

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:02 PM

View Postblueschica, on 23 January 2018 - 01:24 PM, said:

I don't know much about it but this article has some ideas to check out. Hope it helps!

https://www.urtech.c...lag-4k-screens/
Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users