Grace Under Pressure withstands the test of time !

toscanobarga

Don't know why, but I've been really playing the crap out of GUP recently, just sounds so fresh and interesting. And the lyrics....

I've decided I want afterimage played at my funeral, and poor unit one with his clenching plastic fist !

Great album. Just sayin'

• Like 12

Don't know why, but I've been really playing the crap out of GUP recently, just sounds so fresh and interesting. And the lyrics....

I've decided I want afterimage played at my funeral, and poor unit one with his clenching plastic fist !

Great album. Just sayin'

HELL YES!

A good solid album with crap production. Those songs come alive and sparkle onstage. But the record is drab and flat. The Enemy Within, Distant Early Warning, Kid Gloves and Red Lenses are great. Red Sector A is good too. The only stinker is Between the Wheels. I know everyone around here loves that one but it never clicked with me. Edited by Wil1972

GUP is probably my number one fave.Alex's solos are brilliant. :Alex:

A good solid album with crap production. Those songs come alive and sparkle onstage. But the record is drab and flat. The Enemy Within, Distant Early Warning, Kid Gloves and Red Lenses are great. Red Sector A is good too. The only stinker is Between the Wheels. I know everyone around here loves that one but it never clicked with me.

I've never been a big fan of it's production. The vocals are too dry and upfront for one thing. But the fact that Rush sounded too much like The Police turns me off a bit from that one. In fact if Sting was singing many of those songs instead of Lee it almost could've been a Police album. Don't take the wrong way, I enjoy The Police a lot. I just didn't want their sound to become Rush's sound.

Edited by jnoble
  • Like 1

A good solid album with crap production. Those songs come alive and sparkle onstage. But the record is drab and flat. The Enemy Within, Distant Early Warning, Kid Gloves and Red Lenses are great. Red Sector A is good too. The only stinker is Between the Wheels. I know everyone around here loves that one but it never clicked with me.

I've never been a big fan of it's production. The vocals are too dry and upfront for one thing. But the fact that Rush sounded too much like The Police turns me off a bit from that one. In fact if Sting was singing many of those songs instead of Lee it almost could've been a Police album. Don't take the wrong way, I enjoy The Police a lot. I just didn't want their sound to become Rush's sound.

I didn't really mind the Police influence.

• Like 1

I think the reason why people think the album sounds drab and flat or dark is that the whole album is in a minor key.Its like an updated Greensleeves.Lyrically,musically and even the cover are very sombre.Nothing wrong with that and i am a happy person. :drool:
  • Like 1

I'd like to see Sting try and play any of Geddys bass lines, like Roger Waters he has a bass player at most of his gigs and often on his albums!

Don't understimate Sting,although i think he is a bit of t**t,he is a brilliant bassist.And Geddy's jealous of him as he once said about him"How he can sing,play bass and dance in three different time signatures !".And Ged can't dance,he just jumps about.

There are five common opinions about certain Rush albums' production (probably more than five, but I've heard these many times):

- Signals buries the guitars in the mix

- Grace Under Pressure is a "dark" or "dull" sounding album

- Presto is a "thin" sounding album with very little bottom end

- Vapor Trails is a sonic mess full of digital distortion

- Clockwork Angels is also a sonic mess, too saturated or "brickwalled"

The only ones I get are the ones about Presto and Vapor Trails. I hear that for sure (VT is obvious, of course, as they invested in a remix). And I'm no audiophile, and don't know much about sonics (even though I have a mini home studio for my own music). On signals, I can hear all of the guitar nuances quite clearly. Grace Under Pressure does have a particular sound, but I wouldn't characterize it as dark. And the much-maligned Clockwork Angels to some people is "noisy" and even "headache inducing." To me it's just a heavy album - it's not the greatest production in the world, but I don't get why it's considered noisy.

The only reason I bring this up is that I'm not sure if I'm cursed or blessed - either my ears aren't good enough to hear the noisiness or my ears aren't good enough to hear the noisiness. I guess it's the reason I'll never need to invest in SACD formats or other audiophile formats. I really can't hear the difference most of the time.

There are five common opinions about certain Rush albums' production (probably more than five, but I've heard these many times):

- Signals buries the guitars in the mix

- Grace Under Pressure is a "dark" or "dull" sounding album

- Presto is a "thin" sounding album with very little bottom end

- Vapor Trails is a sonic mess full of digital distortion

- Clockwork Angels is also a sonic mess, too saturated or "brickwalled"

I would add that ESL sounds like it's wrapped in gauze and if that is conventional thought, I think there is truth in everyone of those points - exception for me being that I never thought of P/G as dark or dull but as flat. Still, I love that record worst band photo to be included on the record packaging though which is a bit ironic since the photographer was a legendary portrait photographer with impressive pics in his portfolio - but that picture on the back of the record ugh! The worst.

• Like 1

I'd like to see Sting try and play any of Geddys bass lines, like Roger Waters he has a bass player at most of his gigs and often on his albums!

Don't understimate Sting,although i think he is a bit of t**t,he is a brilliant bassist.And Geddy's jealous of him as he once said about him"How he can sing,play bass and dance in three different time signatures !".And Ged can't dance,he just jumps about.

I don't underestimate Sting but he's far from a brilliant bassist or instrumentalist, he's a reasonable all rounder as a musician with a mediocre yet recognisable voice however he does have a talent for writing and producing good tunes! He tends to use Nathan East I think as his bass player!

• Like 1

I don't underestimate Sting but he's far from a brilliant bassist or instrumentalist, he's a reasonable all rounder as a musician with a mediocre yet recognisable voice however he does have a talent for writing and producing good tunes! He tends to use Nathan East I think as his bass player!

And Nathan East is a great player to use. Yea i always thought was overrated in about every aspect.

Mick

• Like 1