Grace Under Pressure withstands the test of time !

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 16787 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:38 PM

Never been a fan of this album at all.  and trust me i've tried. and tried.  AND TRIED.

Production is pretty dull......but to me it comes down to the songs.

I like about 2.

Mick

Sponsored Post

#22 taurus

taurus

The Seeker

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:56 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 23 January 2018 - 04:34 PM, said:

There are five common opinions about certain Rush albums' production (probably more than five, but I've heard these many times):

- Signals buries the guitars in the mix
- Grace Under Pressure is a "dark" or "dull" sounding album
- Presto is a "thin" sounding album with very little bottom end
- Vapor Trails is a sonic mess full of digital distortion
- Clockwork Angels is also a sonic mess, too saturated or "brickwalled"

I would add that ESL sounds like it's wrapped in gauze and if that is conventional thought, I think there is truth in everyone of those points - exception for me being that I never thought of P/G as dark or dull but as flat. Still, I love that record worst band photo to be included on the record packaging though which is a bit ironic since the photographer was a legendary portrait photographer with impressive pics in his portfolio - but that picture on the back of the record ugh! The worst.

#23 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 33498 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    Sonata Arctica
    Machine Head
    Mastodon
    Trivium
    Metallica
    Jimmy Eat World
    The Juliana Theory
    Bruce Springsteen

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:12 PM

One of the best albums ever

#24 New Digital Man

New Digital Man

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:52 PM

View Postgrasbo, on 23 January 2018 - 03:19 PM, said:

View PostNew Digital Man, on 23 January 2018 - 03:11 PM, said:

I'd like to see Sting try and play any of Geddys bass lines, like Roger Waters he has a bass player at most of his gigs and often on his albums!
Don't understimate Sting,although i think he is a bit of t**t,he is a brilliant bassist.And Geddy's jealous of him as he once said about him"How he can sing,play bass and dance  in three different time signatures !".And Ged can't dance,he just jumps about.
I don't underestimate Sting but he's far from a brilliant bassist or instrumentalist, he's a reasonable all rounder as a musician with a mediocre yet recognisable voice however he does have a talent for writing and producing good tunes! He tends to use Nathan East I think as his bass player!

#25 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 16787 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:56 PM

View PostNew Digital Man, on 24 January 2018 - 01:52 PM, said:

View Postgrasbo, on 23 January 2018 - 03:19 PM, said:

View PostNew Digital Man, on 23 January 2018 - 03:11 PM, said:

I'd like to see Sting try and play any of Geddys bass lines, like Roger Waters he has a bass player at most of his gigs and often on his albums!
Don't understimate Sting,although i think he is a bit of t**t,he is a brilliant bassist.And Geddy's jealous of him as he once said about him"How he can sing,play bass and dance  in three different time signatures !".And Ged can't dance,he just jumps about.
I don't underestimate Sting but he's far from a brilliant bassist or instrumentalist, he's a reasonable all rounder as a musician with a mediocre yet recognisable voice however he does have a talent for writing and producing good tunes! He tends to use Nathan East I think as his bass player!

And Nathan East is a great player to use.  Yea i always thought was overrated in about every aspect.

Mick

#26 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 851 posts
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:32 PM

With Sting let me put it this way.While not having the chops of Ged or Nathan he is not that far behind,its just that his playing is subtle and just right for the music.If i recall the reason he bought in Nathan East was to get a different style and sound,just like you might bring in Clapton for one session and van Halen for another.Having said that i am no great fan of Stings music but i respect him as a bass player.Anyway just listening to Grace now.Brilliant.

#27 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

Loves that dirty water

• Members *
  • 23396 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:21 PM

It was the first album I bought by the band and didn't love it the first time I heard it.  Over time, it grew on me.  But it's not on par with it's three immediate predecessors.  It is better than anything that came after it until either CA or maybe S&A (which I personally love).

#28 New Digital Man

New Digital Man

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:35 PM

View Postgrasbo, on 24 January 2018 - 02:32 PM, said:

With Sting let me put it this way.While not having the chops of Ged or Nathan he is not that far behind,its just that his playing is subtle and just right for the music.If i recall the reason he bought in Nathan East was to get a different style and sound,just like you might bring in Clapton for one session and van Halen for another.Having said that i am no great fan of Stings music but i respect him as a bass player.Anyway just listening to Grace now.Brilliant.
With respect if you think that Stings chops on bass are not far behind Geddys or Nathan East i'm afraid you're very disillusioned, they're on a different level entirely, sorry that's a ridiculous statement!

#29 Alien Girl

Alien Girl

So Far So Good

• Members *
  • 2169 posts
  • Interests:Interests?...I have no interests...I'm not an interesting person. Very one dimensional...like cardboard...or toast.

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:29 PM

Grace Under Pressure is an outstanding album...the whole thing from start to finish.  Unique sound that instantly identifiable w/ just a few notes.   I loved it from the start.  And hearing anything off that album played live is immediately nostalgic for me...takes me back.  The triptych of The Enemy Within, The Body Electric and Kid Gloves cinches it.  It's one of those song sequences that sometime prompts me to repeat listening.    Nothing I don't love about this album.

#30 Pressure/Hopenosis

Pressure/Hopenosis

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Family, music, sports, outdoors, photography and lots of other cool stuff I forgot to mention...

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:45 PM

Burned through multiple cassette tapes when this came out.  Autoreverse was the best invention!  I just let it play and play and play...

#31 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 851 posts
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 25 January 2018 - 03:04 AM

View PostNew Digital Man, on 24 January 2018 - 04:35 PM, said:

View Postgrasbo, on 24 January 2018 - 02:32 PM, said:

With respect if you think that Stings chops on bass are not far behind Geddys or Nathan East i'm afraid you're very disillusioned, they're on a different level entirely, sorry that's a ridiculous statement!                                                              Well i am a bassist /guitarist playing over 40 years so i know a little.Did i say Stings playing is subtle?Sure he has never done a YYZ.Just because he hasn't doesn't mean he 's a not much chop.He is certainly more than average.As i said i don't have much time for his music but a certain band who had a song called Digital Man were very influenced by a certain band who had a hit with Walking on the Moon.Just my humble opinion

Edited by grasbo, 25 January 2018 - 03:08 AM.

#32 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 03:07 AM

Don't know how my quote got mixed up inthe previous post.Anyway Geddy rules,Stings ok and Primus(Les) sucks. :geddy:

#33 clintonb

clintonb

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 02:26 PM

View PostWil1972, on 21 January 2018 - 10:04 PM, said:

A good solid album with crap production. Those songs come alive and sparkle onstage. But the record is drab and flat. The Enemy Within, Distant Early Warning, Kid Gloves and Red Lenses are great. Red Sector A is good too. The only stinker is Between the Wheels. I know everyone around here loves that one but it never clicked with me.

I always thought the album sounded "grey" (which is probably my way of saying "drab and flat").

I think the stinker track is "The Body Electric".

I didn't appreciate "Between the Wheels" that much until I heard a live version and thought: "wow, that's some pretty intense emotionally gut-wrenching guitar playing".

This album just has that early '80s "cold war" vibe to it.

#34 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6229 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:18 PM

It sounds frosty-blue to me.

#35 The Analog Grownup

The Analog Grownup

The Dane of the Culinary Arts

• Members *
  • 6153 posts
  • Interests:Slay the dragon, grab the gold, get the girl.

Posted 02 February 2018 - 07:25 AM

My first album from Rush and an all-time favorite.

#36 Ged Lent's sis

Ged Lent's sis

The Seeker

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • Interests:A 3rd best Rush experience: My 1st concert ever: Permanent Waves. See OTHER FAVE BANDS for poem about it.

Posted 03 February 2018 - 01:25 PM

Give that it's the album with my name sake on it, I tend to agree. Guess it must've been something that I read...

#37 TheAccountant

TheAccountant

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1295 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 08:24 PM

Totally agree that its a great album.  If anything, its really grown on me through the years.  I have gotten to like it more and more as the years have gone by.

#38 daveyt

daveyt

Non Sequitur

• Members *
  • 8248 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:34 AM

with all the awesome metal that came out that year this album for me was a big letdown but i happen to love his tremelo work on this one the most it's a big influence. i still can't get over how this guy reinvents himself: how does he come up with these chords?!? so much respect for alex lifeson

#39 daveyt

daveyt

Non Sequitur

• Members *
  • 8248 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:35 AM

plus i always wonder what the album would have sounded like if it were produced by the guy who left them hanging. my guess is that it wouldn't be as good but you never know

#40 Ged Lent's sis

Ged Lent's sis

The Seeker

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • Interests:A 3rd best Rush experience: My 1st concert ever: Permanent Waves. See OTHER FAVE BANDS for poem about it.

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:52 AM

View Postdaveyt, on 04 February 2018 - 05:35 AM, said:

plus i always wonder what the album would have sounded like if it were produced by the guy who left them hanging. my guess is that it wouldn't be as good but you never know

I think that'd've been Steve Lillywhite, who I can imagine they were looking to for, amongst much previous, his most recent work on U2's War album, from which, it only occurs to me just this moment, there's a track with a similar rhythmic structure to "Red Sector A".

Ragged lines of ragged grey
Sunday bloody sunday...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users