Grace Under Pressure withstands the test of time !

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 toscanobarga

toscanobarga

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 833 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 04:59 PM

Don't know why, but I've been really playing the crap out of GUP recently, just sounds so fresh and interesting. And the lyrics....

I've decided I want afterimage played at my funeral, and poor unit one with his clenching plastic fist !

Great album. Just sayin'

Sponsored Post

#2 Permanent-Rush

Permanent-Rush

The Dream Police

• Members
  • 42235 posts
  • Interests:Pearl Thompson, Perry Bamonte, my girlfriend Mary whom is my Cure.

Posted 21 January 2018 - 05:07 PM

I love GUP too mate! :cheers: :)

#3 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Oracle

• Members
  • 10114 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 05:17 PM

Who said that it doesn't stand the test of time? One of my favorites from them.

#4 The Cat 3

The Cat 3

Modern Day Alice Cooper

• Members *
  • 14413 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 06:05 PM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 21 January 2018 - 05:17 PM, said:

One of my favorites from them.
Same here. :)

#5 Permanent-Rush

Permanent-Rush

The Dream Police

• Members
  • 42235 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 06:25 PM

View PostThe Cat 3, on 21 January 2018 - 06:05 PM, said:

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 21 January 2018 - 05:17 PM, said:

One of my favorites from them.
Same here. :)

:cheers: Mates!! :) :)

#6 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 31036 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 06:41 PM

Yeah, it stands up.

Additionally, the 80s were definitely Peart’s greatest decade for lyrics. GUP is one of his best.

#7 Permanent-Rush

Permanent-Rush

The Dream Police

• Members
  • 42235 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:11 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 21 January 2018 - 06:41 PM, said:

Yeah, it stands up.

Additionally, the 80s were definitely Peart’s greatest decade for lyrics. GUP is one of his best.

True to that mate! :)

#8 Maverick

Maverick

SWEDGIN!

• Members *
  • 24532 posts
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:51 PM

Red Lenses!

#9 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 31108 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:45 PM

View Posttoscanobarga, on 21 January 2018 - 04:59 PM, said:

Don't know why, but I've been really playing the crap out of GUP recently, just sounds so fresh and interesting. And the lyrics....

I've decided I want afterimage played at my funeral, and poor unit one with his clenching plastic fist !

Great album. Just sayin'

HELL YES!

#10 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 31108 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:46 PM

View PostMaverick, on 21 January 2018 - 08:51 PM, said:

Red Lenses!

Nice to see someone else on here who loves this song.  Lots of hate here.

Some of Neil's best drumming.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666, 21 January 2018 - 09:46 PM.

#11 Wil1972

Wil1972

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1623 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:04 PM

A good solid album with crap production. Those songs come alive and sparkle onstage. But the record is drab and flat. The Enemy Within, Distant Early Warning, Kid Gloves and Red Lenses are great. Red Sector A is good too. The only stinker is Between the Wheels. I know everyone around here loves that one but it never clicked with me.

Edited by Wil1972, 21 January 2018 - 10:04 PM.

#12 toscanobarga

toscanobarga

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 833 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:07 PM

I've been playing the Vinyl remaster and it sounds great

#13 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 830 posts
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:25 AM

GUP is probably my number one fave.Alex's solos are brilliant. :Alex:

#14 jnoble

jnoble

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1114 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:49 PM

View PostWil1972, on 21 January 2018 - 10:04 PM, said:

A good solid album with crap production. Those songs come alive and sparkle onstage. But the record is drab and flat. The Enemy Within, Distant Early Warning, Kid Gloves and Red Lenses are great. Red Sector A is good too. The only stinker is Between the Wheels. I know everyone around here loves that one but it never clicked with me.

I've never been a big fan of it's production. The vocals are too dry and upfront for one thing. But the fact that Rush sounded too much like The Police turns me off a bit from that one. In fact if Sting was singing many of those songs instead of Lee it almost could've been a Police album. Don't take the wrong way, I enjoy The Police a lot. I just didn't want their sound to become Rush's sound.

Edited by jnoble, 22 January 2018 - 03:51 PM.

#15 Wil1972

Wil1972

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1623 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:37 PM

View Postjnoble, on 22 January 2018 - 03:49 PM, said:

View PostWil1972, on 21 January 2018 - 10:04 PM, said:

I've never been a big fan of it's production. The vocals are too dry and upfront for one thing. But the fact that Rush sounded too much like The Police turns me off a bit from that one. In fact if Sting was singing many of those songs instead of Lee it almost could've been a Police album. Don't take the wrong way, I enjoy The Police a lot. I just didn't want their sound to become Rush's sound.

I didn't really mind the Police influence.

#16 New Digital Man

New Digital Man

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:11 PM

I'd like to see Sting try and play any of Geddys bass lines, like Roger Waters he has a bass player at most of his gigs and often on his albums!

#17 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 830 posts
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:12 PM

I think the reason why people think the album sounds drab and flat or dark is that the whole album is in a minor key.Its like an updated Greensleeves.Lyrically,musically and even the cover are very sombre.Nothing wrong with that and i am a happy person. :drool:

#18 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:19 PM

View PostNew Digital Man, on 23 January 2018 - 03:11 PM, said:

I'd like to see Sting try and play any of Geddys bass lines, like Roger Waters he has a bass player at most of his gigs and often on his albums!
Don't understimate Sting,although i think he is a bit of t**t,he is a brilliant bassist.And Geddy's jealous of him as he once said about him"How he can sing,play bass and dance  in three different time signatures !".And Ged can't dance,he just jumps about.

#19 Na na na

Na na na

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 2069 posts
  • Interests:Music, cooking, wine, fine clothing, wet shaving, traveling & football (soccer)

Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:18 PM

Posted Image

#20 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6168 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:34 PM

There are five common opinions about certain Rush albums' production (probably more than five, but I've heard these many times):

- Signals buries the guitars in the mix
- Grace Under Pressure is a "dark" or "dull" sounding album
- Presto is a "thin" sounding album with very little bottom end
- Vapor Trails is a sonic mess full of digital distortion
- Clockwork Angels is also a sonic mess, too saturated or "brickwalled"

The only ones I get are the ones about Presto and Vapor Trails.  I hear that for sure (VT is obvious, of course, as they invested in a remix).  And I'm no audiophile, and don't know much about sonics (even though I have a mini home studio for my own music).  On signals, I can hear all of the guitar nuances quite clearly.  Grace Under Pressure does have a particular sound, but I wouldn't characterize it as dark.  And the much-maligned Clockwork Angels to some people is "noisy" and even "headache inducing."  To me it's just a heavy album - it's not the greatest production in the world, but I don't get why it's considered noisy.

The only reason I bring this up is that I'm not sure if I'm cursed or blessed - either my ears aren't good enough to hear the noisiness or my ears aren't good enough to hear the noisiness.  I guess it's the reason I'll never need to invest in SACD formats or other audiophile formats.  I really can't hear the difference most of the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users