I saw Bill Murray yesterday!

Jack Aubrey

I live in Summerville, SC, which is right outside of Charleston (in fact the original settlers in Charleston would summer in Summerville [hence the name] to get away from the mosquitos) and Bill Murray is part-owner of both our local baseball and hockey teams. The place I saw him at is a used bookstore which is across the road from the colisseum and hotel complex, so he was probably in town for a game or meeting. Every interview I've read with him says he deeply loves Charleston. Anyway, my best friend Bill and I were going into the used bookstore and I held the door. I saw a fellow approaching from the right and I asked if he was going in, he said yes and I said "I got the door, bub". He said thank you and as he got closer I realized it was Bill Murray. Now my instinct was to tell him how much I loved his movies but he was giving me a sidelong look and I figured he didn't want to be bothered so I just nodded and asked how he was doing today and he said "good, sir, how are you?" Which just goes to show he's got good manners which in my experience equals class in most cases. After he went in, I caught up to Bill (my friend, not Mr. Murray) and said as quietly as I could "that's Bill Murray!" while pointing surreptitiously. He said: "Dave, you don't know what you're talking about, that's not Bill Murray" (to Bill's credit, we were looking at him from behind). I told Bill to go and look, so he did and came back to me and said "wow! It is!" Everybody in the store was cool and gave him his space. After he left, I was down an aisle and I heard the clerks giggling and talking about him so I walked over and said "oh my God, are y'all geeking out, too?! I got to hold the door for him! I was trying to be cool, but I really, really wanted to walk over to him and tell him how much I love Ghostbusters." And also I did have the thought of acting like Woody Harrelson did when he met him in Zombieland! :D

People have said that they'll be in a Charleston restaurant and Bill Murray likes to come up behind them and steal something off their plate and when they turn and see it's him he'll say "no one will ever believe you." :D

• Like 17

People have said that they'll be in a Charleston restaurant and Bill Murray likes to come up behind them and steal something off their plate and when they turn and see it's him he'll say "no one will ever believe you." :D

I believe it. A friend of mine was busking in Richmond when someone came up behind her, put their hands over her eyes and said "guess who"...she turned around and it was Bill f***ing Murray. :LOL:

• Like 1

i'd be tempted to add to "how are you doing today? (looking straight forward at no one)..it's really nice that I can go out, and not have people notice me and make a fuss...see ya round"

;)

I live in Summerville, SC, which is right outside of Charleston (in fact the original settlers in Charleston would summer in Summerville [hence the name] to get away from the mosquitos) and Bill Murray is part-owner of both our local baseball and hockey teams. The place I saw him at is a used bookstore which is across the road from the colisseum and hotel complex, so he was probably in town for a game or meeting. Every interview I've read with him says he deeply loves Charleston. Anyway, my best friend Bill and I were going into the used bookstore and I held the door. I saw a fellow approaching from the right and I asked if he was going in, he said yes and I said "I got the door, bub". He said thank you and as he got closer I realized it was Bill Murray. Now my instinct was to tell him how much I loved his movies but he was giving me a sidelong look and I figured he didn't want to be bothered so I just nodded and asked how he was doing today and he said "good, sir, how are you?" Which just goes to show he's got good manners which in my experience equals class in most cases. After he went in, I caught up to Bill (my friend, not Mr. Murray) and said as quietly as I could "that's Bill Murray!" while pointing surreptitiously. He said: "Dave, you don't know what you're talking about, that's not Bill Murray" (to Bill's credit, we were looking at him from behind). I told Bill to go and look, so he did and came back to me and said "wow! It is!" Everybody in the store was cool and gave him his space. After he left, I was down an aisle and I heard the clerks giggling and talking about him so I walked over and said "oh my God, are y'all geeking out, too?! I got to hold the door for him! I was trying to be cool, but I really, really wanted to walk over to him and tell him how much I love Ghostbusters." And also I did have the thought of acting like Woody Harrelson did when he met him in Zombieland! :D

Awesome awesome story. That last bit is utterly hilarious! Thx for sharing.

• Like 1

Nice amigo!

I'm not into golf but I love watching Pebble Beach. I love me some Bill Murray at that tournament.

You are a very lucky soul.

Not that you did anything wrong but you could have said "by the way big fan" and that would not have been too intrusive. I guess it doesn't really matter too much and it's cool you talked to him even if it was very brief.