• Ian Gillan
    • Rob Halford
    • Robert Plant
    • Chris Cornell
    • Freddy Mercury
    • Paul McCartney
    • Geddy Lee

Congrats Freddie !!

In the end, it was closer than Jimi's landslide in the electric guitar poll, but in truth, this was never in doubt

TRFs newly crowned GOD OF ROCK VOCALS is the one and only Freddie Mercury

I voted for Geddy, but this was the right choice - Freddie

freddie-mercury-riding-superman-1.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you to everyone for participating and making this fun

The Who lead singer Roger Daltrey called Mercury "the best virtuoso rock 'n' roll singer of all time. He could sing anything in any style. He could change his style from line to line and, God, that's an art. And he was brilliant at it."

If you love music, you love Freddie Mercury - Neil Sedaka

Freddie ? a genius - Lady Gaga

What will I be doing in twenty years' time? I'll be dead, darling! Are you crazy? - Freddie Mercury

• Like 3

Congrats Freddie !!

In the end, it was closer than Jimi's landslide in the electric guitar poll, but in truth, this was never in doubt

TRFs newly crowned GOD OF ROCK VOCALS is the one and only Freddie Mercury

I voted for Geddy, but this was the right choice - Freddie

freddie-mercury-riding-superman-1.jpg

Of course! Great poll Lucas!

I love Freddie and he was the greatest.

For me Halford will always be number one.

But yes.

Freddie Fuckking was Fabulous! RIP!

I saw Queen last year with Adam.

Not the same but I'm just happy I saw Roger and Brian.

I got me wish Lucas.

I saw "I'm In Love With My Car" live.

Amen

• Like 2

Thank you to everyone for participating and making this fun

The Who lead singer Roger Daltrey called Mercury "the best virtuoso rock 'n' roll singer of all time. He could sing anything in any style. He could change his style from line to line and, God, that's an art. And he was brilliant at it."

If you love music, you love Freddie Mercury - Neil Sedaka

Freddie ? a genius - Lady Gaga

What will I be doing in twenty years' time? I'll be dead, darling! Are you crazy? - Freddie Mercury

Yes Lucas!

Of course!!

Lady GaGa got her stage name from "Radio GaGa."

And of course I am sure you are aware that Lady GaGa is a HUGE KISS FAN!

• Like 2

Time's up!

You hadn’t been sweatin’ these polls since the first fifteen seconds of round one...aka, the longest stint Mercury wasn’t in the lead. :LOL:

Not really, no, lol. We all know Fred had something just beyond special that means he tends to win these kinds of things pretty easily.

Freddie Mercury will always be my biggest hero that I've never met. In my mind, he was one of the truest people ever to make it into the history books, even as "just an entertainer." His talent was of course astounding, but as with any musician, it's not your instrument but the way that you use it, not what you play but how you play it. The reason he was able to connect so assuredly with all sorts of people was that he took it upon himself to bare himself completely on stage and in the studio. He took the vulnerability that comes with being in the limelight and turned it into a superpower, and never looked at himself as more important than the world around him. He refused to compromise himself for the sake of doubters or haters or anyone who didn't get it. Certainly, that voice and that showmanship were the most valuable tools in doing all this, but in lesser hearts and hands such beautiful tools would go to waste, or at least never live up to Freddie.

Perhaps this is all easier to see for some than others, but for those who struggle to get what I'm saying here, I point to the end of his life. In 1986ish, Freddie was diagnosed with AIDS, a death sentence in those days. He was given only a few more years to live by doctors. Naturally, this is the kind of news which would stop most people in their tracks and cause them to completely change their lives, and not always (dare I say often) for the better. But Freddie was different. He wasn't going down without a fight, and he wasn't going down a much pitied celebrity lying in bed with the world watching and praying for a cure. He took the news as a challenge, "how much more can you accomplish in these last few years?" He gave himself completely to his craft and to his passion for it, going on one final world tour with Queen for A Kind Of Magic, probably their most famous and one of the most beloved tours of all time. He put out solo material in which he followed his every musical whim, even dueting with one of his own heroes, opera star Montserrat Caballé, the result of which became an international hit (not so big in America, but such is the tragedy of Queen and America in the 80s).

He then worked tirelessly with Queen to put out as much music as humanly possible before his time was up. This ultimately resulted in three more albums, though one was to become an often maligned posthumous tribute of sorts, patching together unfinished material into an album's length of music (I still love it). Freddie worked diligently not to draw attention to his physical state or to let the press' rumors be confirmed. He didn't want anyone buying Queen music out of pity for a sick and dying artist, he wanted it to be properly evaluated on its own terms. The general consensus is rather mixed on the first of these albums, The Miracle (which I love), but most everyone acknowledges the final album before Freddie's passing, Innuendo, as one of Queen's most well crafted bodies of work, and one of the greatest swan song releases of all time. This was the result of the tireless efforts of a dying legend who dragged himself into the studio as often as he physically could in order to finish his life's work. He has been quoted as asking his bandmates to "bring me words" so that he could sing more and record more before his time. He didn't publicly confirm the suspicions of his illness until one day prior to his death, finally accepting there was no more he could do to keep going.

Now, this is an amazing story for many reasons, but what I find most amazing is how true Freddie was to his convictions and how stubbornly attached he was to his goals. He represents the classic human story of one who is up against literally insurmountable odds, doing everything within his or her power to fight them. And he most importantly represents one who completely embraces themselves, and showed the world exactly who they were, no matter anyone else's judgements. This is how he lived his entire life, though it is most vividly apparent at the end of it. This is also what makes him my favorite singer, and, as voted in the poll, the greatest rock vocalist of all time. That confidence shines through in every microsecond of his recorded voice. He held nothing back in front of the microphone, and audiences responded with love and awe (and have continued to ever since) as a natural reaction to that charisma and confidence, though the sheer musical talent he possessed made it all the more effective.

Freddie Mercury is the champion, and the king. Truly, though he is no longer with us, he will never die.

• Like 5

As great as Dio and Halford are, IMO they are first and foremost metal vocalists.

As such I'm very pleased that best Rock vocalists went to Mr Mercury.

• Like 2

Time's up!

You hadn’t been sweatin’ these polls since the first fifteen seconds of round one...aka, the longest stint Mercury wasn’t in the lead. :LOL:

Not really, no, lol. We all know Fred had something just beyond special that means he tends to win these kinds of things pretty easily.

Freddie Mercury will always be my biggest hero that I've never met. In my mind, he was one of the truest people ever to make it into the history books, even as "just an entertainer." His talent was of course astounding, but as with any musician, it's not your instrument but the way that you use it, not what you play but how you play it. The reason he was able to connect so assuredly with all sorts of people was that he took it upon himself to bare himself completely on stage and in the studio. He took the vulnerability that comes with being in the limelight and turned it into a superpower, and never looked at himself as more important than the world around him. He refused to compromise himself for the sake of doubters or haters or anyone who didn't get it. Certainly, that voice and that showmanship were the most valuable tools in doing all this, but in lesser hearts and hands such beautiful tools would go to waste, or at least never live up to Freddie.

Perhaps this is all easier to see for some than others, but for those who struggle to get what I'm saying here, I point to the end of his life. In 1986ish, Freddie was diagnosed with AIDS, a death sentence in those days. He was given only a few more years to live by doctors. Naturally, this is the kind of news which would stop most people in their tracks and cause them to completely change their lives, and not always (dare I say often) for the better. But Freddie was different. He wasn't going down without a fight, and he wasn't going down a much pitied celebrity lying in bed with the world watching and praying for a cure. He took the news as a challenge, "how much more can you accomplish in these last few years?" He gave himself completely to his craft and to his passion for it, going on one final world tour with Queen for A Kind Of Magic, probably their most famous and one of the most beloved tours of all time. He put out solo material in which he followed his every musical whim, even dueting with one of his own heroes, opera star Montserrat Caballé, the result of which became an international hit (not so big in America, but such is the tragedy of Queen and America in the 80s).

He then worked tirelessly with Queen to put out as much music as humanly possible before his time was up. This ultimately resulted in three more albums, though one was to become an often maligned posthumous tribute of sorts, patching together unfinished material into an album's length of music (I still love it). Freddie worked diligently not to draw attention to his physical state or to let the press' rumors be confirmed. He didn't want anyone buying Queen music out of pity for a sick and dying artist, he wanted it to be properly evaluated on its own terms. The general consensus is rather mixed on the first of these albums, The Miracle (which I love), but most everyone acknowledges the final album before Freddie's passing, Innuendo, as one of Queen's most well crafted bodies of work, and one of the greatest swan song releases of all time. This was the result of the tireless efforts of a dying legend who dragged himself into the studio as often as he physically could in order to finish his life's work. He has been quoted as asking his bandmates to "bring me words" so that he could sing more and record more before his time. He didn't publicly confirm the suspicions of his illness until one day prior to his death, finally accepting there was no more he could do to keep going.

Now, this is an amazing story for many reasons, but what I find most amazing is how true Freddie was to his convictions and how stubbornly attached he was to his goals. He represents the classic human story of one who is up against literally insurmountable odds, doing everything within his or her power to fight them. And he most importantly represents one who completely embraces themselves, and showed the world exactly who they were, no matter anyone else's judgements. This is how he lived his entire life, though it is most vividly apparent at the end of it. This is also what makes him my favorite singer, and, as voted in the poll, the greatest rock vocalist of all time. That confidence shines through in every microsecond of his recorded voice. He held nothing back in front of the microphone, and audiences responded with love and awe (and have continued to ever since) as a natural reaction to that charisma and confidence, though the sheer musical talent he possessed made it all the more effective.

Freddie Mercury is the champion, and the king. Truly, though he is no longer with us, he will never die.

Well said !!

• Like 3

Time's up!

Great post EP !!

Shia-sized applause are in order

applause.gif

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 3

Time's up!

:goodone: I had seen a documentary one time about Freddie's life but I didn't realize until I read your post that he kept his health a secret so the work would stand on its own. Your writing is a wonderful tribute to him.

• Like 4