Jump to content


Controversial Rush opinions!

love the cat and the duck

  • Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#21 That One Guy

That One Guy

    Straight Outta Sunnyvale

  • Members *
  • 24969 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Utah
  • Interests:The boys, cold ones, cracking, the latest fajita at Arby's

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:01 PM

A Farewell To Kings is a Fairly Bad Album. Without Xanadu and CTTH it would be unthinkably bad.

Sponsored Post

#22 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 17421 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:03 PM

View PostThat One Guy, on 18 January 2018 - 03:01 PM, said:

A Farewell To Kings is a Fairly Bad Album. Without Xanadu and CTTH it would be unthinkably bad.

MY MAN!! lol

Totally agree.

stunningly over praised record.

Mick

#23 Fridge

Fridge

    The Freezable Fridge™

  • Members *
  • 10133 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:15 PM

I think they should have retired about 1988-89 whilst there was still some dignity left.

#24 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 17421 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:20 PM

View PostFridge, on 18 January 2018 - 03:15 PM, said:

I think they should have retired about 1988-89 whilst there was still some dignity left.

Honestly if they ended after HYF.....that''s a great career man.

Mick

#25 Fridge

Fridge

    The Freezable Fridge™

  • Members *
  • 10133 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:21 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 18 January 2018 - 03:20 PM, said:

View PostFridge, on 18 January 2018 - 03:15 PM, said:

I think they should have retired about 1988-89 whilst there was still some dignity left.

Honestly if they ended after HYF.....that''s a great career man.

Mick

Indeed...though if I was generous I'd allow them presto because it's half a good album.

#26 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 5208 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:33 PM

I had no clue this thread would take off so well! Great job Mick!!! :lol:

I'm disagreeing with so much of what's being said right now it's hilarious. That comment about CoS vs. 2112, priceless.

Okay okay, here's another:

Hemispheres is significantly worse than Signals, and not even as good as Power Windows.

#27 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 17421 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:37 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 18 January 2018 - 03:33 PM, said:

I had no clue this thread would take off so well! Great job Mick!!! :lol:

I'm disagreeing with so much of what's being said right now it's hilarious. That comment about CoS vs. 2112, priceless.

Okay okay, here's another:

Hemispheres is significantly worse than Signals, and not even as good as Power Windows.

you want Controversial.  that's been me here since post one, lol

It's all cool though.

Power Windows and Signals ARE better than Hemispheres bro.

good call.

Mick

#28 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 5208 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:38 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 18 January 2018 - 02:41 PM, said:

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 18 January 2018 - 02:39 PM, said:

View Postbluefox4000, on 18 January 2018 - 02:29 PM, said:

as an album.  COS is a million times better than 2112.

Mick
Damn this thread was made for you. You should share your thoughts on GUP

I think it's by far the weakest 80's record.

i like about 2 songs.

I think ultravox sucks and that's basically Rush's take on them.

So that's that, lol

Mick

I'm not a huge fan of HYF, but yeah GuP is pretty close to the bottom of their 80s work imo too. That production just kills the atmosphere dead and too much of it is too boring.

#29 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 5208 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:39 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 18 January 2018 - 03:37 PM, said:

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 18 January 2018 - 03:33 PM, said:

I had no clue this thread would take off so well! Great job Mick!!! :lol:

I'm disagreeing with so much of what's being said right now it's hilarious. That comment about CoS vs. 2112, priceless.

Okay okay, here's another:

Hemispheres is significantly worse than Signals, and not even as good as Power Windows.

you want Controversial.  that's been me here since post one, lol

It's all cool though.

Power Windows and Signals ARE better than Hemispheres bro.

good call.

Mick

I didn't have anyone in mind when I made the thread, and now I'm wondering how I wasn't thinking of you, lol.

ikr? The amount of praise for hems shocked me when I first got here and still kinda confuses me. And PoW is so underrated, the guitar and synth interplay is to die for.

#30 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 17421 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:40 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 18 January 2018 - 03:38 PM, said:

View Postbluefox4000, on 18 January 2018 - 02:41 PM, said:

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 18 January 2018 - 02:39 PM, said:

View Postbluefox4000, on 18 January 2018 - 02:29 PM, said:

as an album.  COS is a million times better than 2112.

Mick
Damn this thread was made for you. You should share your thoughts on GUP

I think it's by far the weakest 80's record.

i like about 2 songs.

I think ultravox sucks and that's basically Rush's take on them.

So that's that, lol

Mick

I'm not a huge fan of HYF, but yeah GuP is pretty close to the bottom of their 80s work imo too. That production just kills the atmosphere dead and too much of it is too boring.

ihh that reminds me......

much as i love the 80's album after Broon.  the production DID take a  slight dip after he left.

don't care......i loved his work on signals.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000, 18 January 2018 - 03:41 PM.


#31 Bigbobby10

Bigbobby10

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3197 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:41 PM

I like Tears just as much as I like 2112.

#32 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 17421 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:43 PM

View PostBigbobby10, on 18 January 2018 - 03:41 PM, said:

I like Tears just as much as I like 2112.

Tears is a great little tune.  i always forget about it, lol

Mick

#33 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 5208 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:44 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 18 January 2018 - 03:40 PM, said:

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 18 January 2018 - 03:38 PM, said:

View Postbluefox4000, on 18 January 2018 - 02:41 PM, said:

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 18 January 2018 - 02:39 PM, said:

View Postbluefox4000, on 18 January 2018 - 02:29 PM, said:

as an album.  COS is a million times better than 2112.

Mick
Damn this thread was made for you. You should share your thoughts on GUP

I think it's by far the weakest 80's record.

i like about 2 songs.

I think ultravox sucks and that's basically Rush's take on them.

So that's that, lol

Mick

I'm not a huge fan of HYF, but yeah GuP is pretty close to the bottom of their 80s work imo too. That production just kills the atmosphere dead and too much of it is too boring.

ihh that reminds me......

much as i love the 80's album after Broon.  the production DID take a dive after he left.

don't care......i loved his work on signals.

Mick

I was reading about the making of each album back when I was researching for my big Rush essay, and when I read about the making of GuP it all finally made sense. They basically had a newbie engineer producing for them, and his accounts were something like "yeah I was just so in awe the whole time and I felt kinda bad that I didn't really know what I was doing for them."

#34 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 5208 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:44 PM

View PostBigbobby10, on 18 January 2018 - 03:41 PM, said:

I like Tears just as much as I like 2112.

Tears is in the running for top 3 on the album. I'd put it up there against Bangkok and Twilight Zone any day.

#35 Justus_2112

Justus_2112

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 302 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hesperia, CA
  • Interests:Music to the point that I am uninterested in sports.

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:46 PM

"The Trees" is a really dumb song when you consider the fact that it is meant to be taken as a literal story.

"You Bet Your Life" fun to listen to, and is very catchy.

"Closer to the Heart" gets kinda boring after a while.

#36 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 5208 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:46 PM

View PostJustus_2112, on 18 January 2018 - 03:46 PM, said:

"The Trees" is a really dumb song when you consider the fact that it is meant to be taken as a literal story.

"You Bet Your Life" fun to listen to, and is very catchy.

"Closer to the Heart" gets kinda boring after a while.

Dang, I completely disagree with all of this... good job! :D

#37 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 17421 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:47 PM

The vocals on All the Worlds a stage make me want to stab someone in the eyes.

Mick

#38 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 17421 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:48 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 18 January 2018 - 03:46 PM, said:

View PostJustus_2112, on 18 January 2018 - 03:46 PM, said:

"The Trees" is a really dumb song when you consider the fact that it is meant to be taken as a literal story.

"You Bet Your Life" fun to listen to, and is very catchy.

"Closer to the Heart" gets kinda boring after a while.

Dang, I completely disagree with all of this... good job! :D

:laughing guy: :laughing guy:

Mick

#39 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 17421 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:54 PM

Here's one.

I often think i would have enjoyed seeing a 4 man Rush.  if they had decided to hire a keyboard/synth player in the 80's.

i just ponder it from time to time.

Mick

#40 toymaker

toymaker

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 6345 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:55 PM

Okay, there a LOT of totally cracked opinions here.

Why am I the only one making sense?





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: love the cat and the duck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users