Jump to content


My review/thoughts on Sons of Apollo


  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Tick

Tick

    Mr: 26,000!!!

  • Members *
  • 26469 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:I'm not in this stove!
  • Interests:I like big butts and i cannot lie, you other brothers cant deny !....oh sorry, lost my mind for a minute.

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:36 AM

After about 10 full listens to this album I now have a true feeling on it...
I would say its boring, predictable, rushed, cookie cutter, formulaic. Average at best.
It sounds like something written in a 24 hour period.

Derrick's keyboards are very uninventive here. Sounds like he uses a lot of pre made samples as well. (The opening of God of the Sun)The same ones I used on my 1995 CD.

This is my first experience listening to Jeff Scott Sotto and I'm not all that impressed. He flats a lot on this record.
Example...
Stare at the wall
Pray for reflection
Try to recall
Beg for "redemption" <------ Very flat!
and how many times can you accentuate a part of song with, "YEAH!"


The guitar, bass, and drum work is fine, but as I said the songs are very forgettable.

Lastly, the lyrics are really bad at times.

"Wastin' time
Lost in oblivion
I'm leaving tomorrow"

Leaving for where? Cheese....

I am a big fan of MP but this is the weakest project of anything I've heard from him. I'd say focus on Winery Dogs, Flying Colors, Neal Morse, and a Transatlantic reunion.

I am just giving my honest assessment. I wanted to like it but its just not great. That being said, if they played close to me I'd go (if the tickets were cheap)just because the musicians are great and hopefully it would be better live.

Sponsored Post

#2 stoopid

stoopid

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 850 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upstate, NY
  • Interests:Music, climbing

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:38 AM

Most of Portnoy's post-DT projects are mediocre to my ears.  Really only The Similitude of a Dream struck a chord with me and even then it's only an occasional play.  Thankfully for me I always try-before-I-buy ;) , so no loss to my wallet but no gain to theirs either.

#3 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 16787 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:40 AM

This record may well be the worst of all Portnoy's projects.  dull hook-less.  longest 57 minuses of my life.

sorry mike.  no "glorious return" here.

Mick

#4 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 86938 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:35 AM

View PostTick, on 18 January 2018 - 10:36 AM, said:

After about 10 full listens to this album I now have a true feeling on it...
I would say its boring, predictable, rushed, cookie cutter, formulaic. Average at best.
It sounds like something written in a 24 hour period.

Derrick's keyboards are very uninventive here. Sounds like he uses a lot of pre made samples as well. (The opening of God of the Sun)The same ones I used on my 1995 CD.

This is my first experience listening to Jeff Scott Sotto and I'm not all that impressed. He flats a lot on this record.
Example...
Stare at the wall
Pray for reflection
Try to recall
Beg for "redemption" <------ Very flat!
and how many times can you accentuate a part of song with, "YEAH!"


The guitar, bass, and drum work is fine, but as I said the songs are very forgettable.

Lastly, the lyrics are really bad at times.

"Wastin' time
Lost in oblivion
I'm leaving tomorrow"

Leaving for where? Cheese....

I am a big fan of MP but this is the weakest project of anything I've heard from him. I'd say focus on Winery Dogs, Flying Colors, Neal Morse, and a Transatlantic reunion.

I am just giving my honest assessment. I wanted to like it but its just not great. That being said, if they played close to me I'd go (if the tickets were cheap)just because the musicians are great and hopefully it would be better live.
Get the new Priest album instead Tick! This is where it's at!



#5 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 33498 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    Sonata Arctica
    Machine Head
    Mastodon
    Trivium
    Metallica
    Jimmy Eat World
    The Juliana Theory
    Bruce Springsteen

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:26 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 18 January 2018 - 11:35 AM, said:

View PostTick, on 18 January 2018 - 10:36 AM, said:

After about 10 full listens to this album I now have a true feeling on it...
I would say its boring, predictable, rushed, cookie cutter, formulaic. Average at best.
It sounds like something written in a 24 hour period.

Derrick's keyboards are very uninventive here. Sounds like he uses a lot of pre made samples as well. (The opening of God of the Sun)The same ones I used on my 1995 CD.

This is my first experience listening to Jeff Scott Sotto and I'm not all that impressed. He flats a lot on this record.
Example...
Stare at the wall
Pray for reflection
Try to recall
Beg for "redemption" <------ Very flat!
and how many times can you accentuate a part of song with, "YEAH!"


The guitar, bass, and drum work is fine, but as I said the songs are very forgettable.

Lastly, the lyrics are really bad at times.

"Wastin' time
Lost in oblivion
I'm leaving tomorrow"

Leaving for where? Cheese....

I am a big fan of MP but this is the weakest project of anything I've heard from him. I'd say focus on Winery Dogs, Flying Colors, Neal Morse, and a Transatlantic reunion.

I am just giving my honest assessment. I wanted to like it but its just not great. That being said, if they played close to me I'd go (if the tickets were cheap)just because the musicians are great and hopefully it would be better live.
Get the new Priest album instead Tick! This is where it's at!



I think I will enjoy this album. It will likely be my first Priest purchase, and it makes up for what I predict to be a disappointing Machine Head album.

#6 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 86938 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:37 PM

I'm listening to Al Di Meola's Casino album right now and surely this is one of the places where Portnoy got his ideas from for this band! :o

#7 tangy

tangy

    The Great Progholio

  • Members
  • 9646 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:00 PM

Yeah. What i have heard is ok. I do love me some sherinian.

They are playing 3 hours away in a venue that holds 750. I doubt i go but for $25 that is a sick group of players.

#8 Tick

Tick

    Mr: 26,000!!!

  • Members *
  • 26469 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:I'm not in this stove!
  • Interests:I like big butts and i cannot lie, you other brothers cant deny !....oh sorry, lost my mind for a minute.

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:07 PM

View Posttangy, on 18 January 2018 - 04:00 PM, said:

Yeah. What i have heard is ok. I do love me some sherinian.

They are playing 3 hours away in a venue that holds 750. I doubt i go but for $25 that is a sick group of players.
Killer musicians but no leadership skills. Someone to take the reigns and critique the places they went wrong. Like Jeff Scott Sotto singing "YEAH!" like 3 times in every song. Its a bit much.
Also, I have never heard him sing before so I have no point of reference but to me he is a journeyman singer. Like a utility man in baseball, or a boxer who is good but is used as a stepping stone opponent for up and coming boxers.
He is flat a lot, and his voice does not impress me.

Edited by Tick, 18 January 2018 - 05:08 PM.


#9 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 16787 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:47 PM

Played this once more.

i don't think i'll bother again.

Mick

#10 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

    Crushed in Rio

  • Members *
  • 9121 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:34 PM

Tick, I liked this album a lot!

#11 Tick

Tick

    Mr: 26,000!!!

  • Members *
  • 26469 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:I'm not in this stove!
  • Interests:I like big butts and i cannot lie, you other brothers cant deny !....oh sorry, lost my mind for a minute.

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:06 PM

I know you did Rod and that’s cool. But for reasons I stated it is falling flat for me. I tried.

#12 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 86938 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:39 PM

View PostTick, on 18 January 2018 - 05:07 PM, said:

View Posttangy, on 18 January 2018 - 04:00 PM, said:

Yeah. What i have heard is ok. I do love me some sherinian.

They are playing 3 hours away in a venue that holds 750. I doubt i go but for $25 that is a sick group of players.
Killer musicians but no leadership skills. Someone to take the reigns and critique the places they went wrong. Like Jeff Scott Sotto singing "YEAH!" like 3 times in every song. Its a bit much.
Also, I have never heard him sing before so I have no point of reference but to me he is a journeyman singer. Like a utility man in baseball, or a boxer who is good but is used as a stepping stone opponent for up and coming boxers.
He is flat a lot, and his voice does not impress me.
YEAH!

#13 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 86938 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:40 PM

View PostTick, on 18 January 2018 - 08:06 PM, said:

I know you did Rod and that’s cool. But for reasons I stated it is falling flat for me. I tried.
Tick you'll get over this, things are going to get brighter. You'll see. :cheers:

#14 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

    Crushed in Rio

  • Members *
  • 9121 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:15 PM

On the positive side of things, I just heard an album called Into the Great Divide - an instrumental concept album, believe it or not. It sounds EXACTLY like Dream Theater from the early 2000´s, but with no vocals. The main man behind this album is called Zack Zalon, and I´ll be interviewing him for my blog tomorrow. Oh, and Mike Mangini plays drums on the whole album. Here´s a sample:



#15 stoopid

stoopid

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 850 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upstate, NY
  • Interests:Music, climbing

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:09 PM

View PostRod in Toronto, on 18 January 2018 - 10:15 PM, said:

On the positive side of things, I just heard an album called Into the Great Divide... Oh, and Mike Mangini plays drums on the whole album.

Is that supposed to be a selling point?  :P

#16 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 16787 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:15 PM

View Poststoopid, on 19 January 2018 - 12:09 PM, said:

View PostRod in Toronto, on 18 January 2018 - 10:15 PM, said:

On the positive side of things, I just heard an album called Into the Great Divide... Oh, and Mike Mangini plays drums on the whole album.

Is that supposed to be a selling point?  :P

For me it is, lol

Mick

#17 stoopid

stoopid

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 850 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upstate, NY
  • Interests:Music, climbing

Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:39 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 19 January 2018 - 12:15 PM, said:

View Poststoopid, on 19 January 2018 - 12:09 PM, said:

View PostRod in Toronto, on 18 January 2018 - 10:15 PM, said:

On the positive side of things, I just heard an album called Into the Great Divide... Oh, and Mike Mangini plays drums on the whole album.

Is that supposed to be a selling point?  :P

For me it is, lol

Mick
I was ASKING ROD!  :rage:


:16ton:

Edited by stoopid, 19 January 2018 - 01:40 PM.


#18 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 16787 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:41 PM

View Poststoopid, on 19 January 2018 - 01:39 PM, said:

View Postbluefox4000, on 19 January 2018 - 12:15 PM, said:

View Poststoopid, on 19 January 2018 - 12:09 PM, said:

View PostRod in Toronto, on 18 January 2018 - 10:15 PM, said:

On the positive side of things, I just heard an album called Into the Great Divide... Oh, and Mike Mangini plays drums on the whole album.

Is that supposed to be a selling point?  :P

For me it is, lol

Mick
I was ASKING ROD!  :rage:


:16ton:

lol.

I was feeling chatty.

Mick

#19 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 33498 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    Sonata Arctica
    Machine Head
    Mastodon
    Trivium
    Metallica
    Jimmy Eat World
    The Juliana Theory
    Bruce Springsteen

Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:43 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 19 January 2018 - 01:41 PM, said:

View Poststoopid, on 19 January 2018 - 01:39 PM, said:

View Postbluefox4000, on 19 January 2018 - 12:15 PM, said:

View Poststoopid, on 19 January 2018 - 12:09 PM, said:

View PostRod in Toronto, on 18 January 2018 - 10:15 PM, said:

On the positive side of things, I just heard an album called Into the Great Divide... Oh, and Mike Mangini plays drums on the whole album.

Is that supposed to be a selling point?  :P

For me it is, lol

Mick
I was ASKING ROD!  :rage:


:16ton:

lol.

I was feeling chatty.

Mick

BOOBS!

#20 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 16787 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:49 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 19 January 2018 - 01:43 PM, said:

View Postbluefox4000, on 19 January 2018 - 01:41 PM, said:

View Poststoopid, on 19 January 2018 - 01:39 PM, said:

View Postbluefox4000, on 19 January 2018 - 12:15 PM, said:

View Poststoopid, on 19 January 2018 - 12:09 PM, said:

View PostRod in Toronto, on 18 January 2018 - 10:15 PM, said:

On the positive side of things, I just heard an album called Into the Great Divide... Oh, and Mike Mangini plays drums on the whole album.

Is that supposed to be a selling point?  :P

For me it is, lol

Mick
I was ASKING ROD!  :rage:


:16ton:

lol.

I was feeling chatty.

Mick

BOOBS!

Poor Debbie

:laughing guy:

Mick




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users