The Rush Forum's GODZ OF ROCK VOCALS - Round TWO - Semi Finals

Lucas

Gods Of Rock Vocals SEMI FINALS  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Group One - Pick THREE From This Group

2. 2. Group Two - Pick THREE From This Group

3. 3. Group Three - Pick THREE From This Group

No Robert :( but still a lot of amazing vocalists here

A guitarist one sounds cool tbh I am enjoyin this vocal one maybe another similar one can be done?? After this is over??

There already was...

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/104548-the-rush-forums-gods-of-the-electric-guitar-mega-poll-round-one/page__hl__%2Bgods+%2Bguitar

But both the guitarist and vocalist polls were inspired by this:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/104417-the-duckblaze-gods-of-the-cinema-thread/page__hl__%2Bgods+%2Bcinema

No Pearl Thompson in that guitar list, really??

This is her guitar work in this song:

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Edited by Permanent-Rush

How did Ian Anderson make it to this round? He really doesn't compare to most of these guys as a singer, at least I wouldn't think so. Even Bowie and Gabriel have more versatility than him, and they're two of the other least "technically" great singers here. :eh:

What's the defense for Anderson? Have I not heard enough Tull to know his full abilities, or is it just a matter of taste?

"Rock vocalist" does not mean "singer". Ian is a great rock and roll front man with fantastic stage presence and vocals that fit the music. That's the stuff of a great "rock vocalist". Geddy can't really "sing" (check out his rendering of Canada's anthem). Axl can't really "sing". But both are great rock vocalists.
  • Like 1

It’s all a taste thing anyway. Imho, Brad Delp destroys Ozzy but there they are, side by side in section 3. (I didn’t vote either this round, but I went with Delp in round 1).

I went with Delp in round 1 as well. Perhaps the best "singer" in the whole poll. But, moving on to Round Two, he's outclassed in terms being a rock vocalist (which for me includes being a front man).
  • Like 1

How did Ian Anderson make it to this round? He really doesn't compare to most of these guys as a singer, at least I wouldn't think so. Even Bowie and Gabriel have more versatility than him, and they're two of the other least "technically" great singers here. :eh:

What's the defense for Anderson? Have I not heard enough Tull to know his full abilities, or is it just a matter of taste?

"Rock vocalist" does not mean "singer". Ian is a great rock and roll front man with fantastic stage presence and vocals that fit the music. That's the stuff of a great "rock vocalist". Geddy can't really "sing" (check out his rendering of Canada's anthem). Axl can't really "sing". But both are great rock vocalists.

See, also, Jagger, Michael, Roth, David Lee, Osbourne, John.

• Like 2

It’s all a taste thing anyway. Imho, Brad Delp destroys Ozzy but there they are, side by side in section 3. (I didn’t vote either this round, but I went with Delp in round 1).

I went with Delp in round 1 as well. Perhaps the best "singer" in the whole poll. But, moving on to Round Two, he's outclassed in terms being a rock vocalist (which for me includes being a front man).

Yeah, my votes were all based on who I like the best as a rock vocalist, not who appears to be best suited for the church choir.

• Like 2

I guess I just don't see him as particularly special as a vocalist, technically good or not (and I would argue All can really "sing," he's just got that annoying tone that people hate). Unique is one thing, but special is another that I don't think Anderson's got.

But whatever, it's all onions anyway! :P

Yeah, my votes were all based on who I like the best as a rock vocalist, not who appears to be best suited for the church choir.

Didn't mean to make it sound like I only value technical ability, mores I meant to highlight that to me Anderson lacks both technical ability AND (probably more importantly) especially enticing character, but that's just a taste thing. I'm just surprised that many people like him that much compared to other somewhat similar vocalists on here.

Aw dang...Paul Rogers got left behind. That's a crying shame. All Right Now might be the purest rock vocal ever recorded...maybe the purest rock song ever recorded.

Actually, in the other thread he's currently tied with Elton John at 6 votes...was this an oversight or did he not have that many before the cutoff?

EP, Paul Rogers was in Group Three, while Elton John, Robin Zander, Lemmy, Roger Waters and Rik Emmett were in Group Two ... Six votes in Group Three ( Rogers ) wasn't enough to get into the Top 10 in that particular group .... In Group Two, six votes was good enough to tie for the 10th and final spot ..

Ah, I missed that bit of it, ty!

• Like 1

Didn't mean to make it sound like I only value technical ability, mores I meant to highlight that to me Anderson lacks both technical ability AND (probably more importantly) especially enticing character, but that's just a taste thing. I'm just surprised that many people like him that much compared to other somewhat similar vocalists on here.

Who is “somewhat similar” to Ian? To me it’s like saying someone is somewhat similar to Geddy. I don’t know of anyone similar to either.

But when talking about 80s hair metal vocalists, now those guys are similar.

Also, Ian isn’t an “enticing character”? That dude is all about character.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 2

Who is “somewhat similar” to Ian? To me it’s like saying someone is somewhat similar to Geddy. I don’t know of anyone similar to either.

Was thinking the same thing. Love Ian. He isn't everyone's cup of tea but neither is Ged. I voted for Ian.

• Like 1

Was thinking the same thing. Love Ian. He isn't everyone's cup of tea but neither is Ged. I voted for Ian.

I’m surprised he made it to the semis. He almost certainly won’t reach the finals but he’s doing pretty well this round. Despite voting for him twice, I’m surprised again!

With all the Maiden fans on here I'm surprised Bruce Dickinson hasn't got more votes.

First gotta feed the Geddy Mercury machine in that section. So the third vote down there is torn between him, Jon Anderson, and Paul Mc. Bowie’s making things tough down there too.

• Like 1

With all the Maiden fans on here I'm surprised Bruce Dickinson hasn't got more votes.

First gotta feed the Geddy Mercury machine in that section. So the third vote down there is torn between him, Jon Anderson, and Paul Mc. Bowie’s making things tough down there too.

The only one I voted for out of them is Mercury.

The key word was "especially," and the more key point was made in my earlier post, being "it's all onions anyway."

I don't find him really terribly captivating compared to similarly not-so-technically-adept vocalists like Bowie or Gabriel. I don't dislike his voice, and I don't think anyone else could really sing his songs quite right, but I'm just not very interested in it either, and I'm surprised so many people are captivated by it when it seems not that special to my ears.

But most most most importantly, this is just a dumb 19 year old college sophomore's opinion. So take my two cents with this salt shaker if it pleases you!

http://www.davidtucker.me/content/paint-it-black/12-salt-shaker/davidtucker-saltshaker-04.jpg

:P

The key word was "especially," and the more key point was made in my earlier post, being "it's all onions anyway."

I don't find him really terribly captivating compared to similarly not-so-technically-adept vocalists like Bowie or Gabriel. I don't dislike his voice, and I don't think anyone else could really sing his songs quite right, but I'm just not very interested in it either, and I'm surprised so many people are captivated by it when it seems not that special to my ears.

But most most most importantly, this is just a dumb 19 year old college sophomore's opinion. So take my two cents with this salt shaker if it pleases you!

http://www.davidtucker.me/content/paint-it-black/12-salt-shaker/davidtucker-saltshaker-04.jpg

:P

Doesn’t matter. Frankly, I don’t find half of these guys in the semi-finals very captivating. I can see why they’re there though.

• Like 2

I love Ian. Especially on the "Born Again" Sabbath record."

That being said, I'm a Glenn Hughes, David Coverdale guy.

I think it's ridiculous that Glenn didn't make it into the second round.

Also no Marc Storace?

What a fuckingg joke.

No love for Krokus.

I partied with Marc and the boys in Reno like 11 years ago.

It was true. Marc confirmed it right to my face. He was going to replace Bon Scott, but shithole Arista their record company wouldn't release Marc from his contract.

So BJ slid in.

Pun intended.

How the fuckk does Dennis DeYoung make the first round but no love for Tommy Shaw?

Tommy is better.

Gowan is better than DeYoung.

Pat save your typing.

I know you HATE STYNX.

I FUICKKING LOVE THEM!

The more time that passes, the more of a lampoon DeYoung’s vocals seem to me.

“Laaaaaaady....”

To me, listening to classic Styx is like watching Brady Bunch reruns. There’s history there with me but if I listen to/watch either, it’s more for nostalgic purposes.

• Like 1

How the fuckk does Dennis DeYoung make the first round but no love for Tommy Shaw?

Tommy is better.

Pat save your typing.

I know you HATE STYNX.

I FUICKKING LOVE THEM!

“Laaaaaaady....”

To me, listening to classic Styx is like watching Brady Bunch reruns. There’s history there with me but if I listen to/watch either, it’s more for nostalgic purposes.

Wow Johnny!

You really are another one of my brothers from a different mother!

You do know that The Brady Bunch is my all time favorite TV show.

Yes, Dennis really f***ed up STYX in my opinion. Wanting to turn a cool groovy prog band into fuckking a Broadway Musical.

I love "Lady" but I HATE "BABE."

"Domo Arigato Mr. Blaze Roboto"

That album ruined it all.

Tommy is better.

Pat save your typing.

I know you HATE STYNX.

I FUICKKING LOVE THEM!

“Laaaaaaady....”

Wow Johnny!

Yes, Dennis really f***ed up STYX in my opinion. Wanting to turn a cool groovy prog band into fuckking a Broadway Musical.

I saw that Broadway musical!

Tommy is better.

Pat save your typing.

I know you HATE STYNX.

I FUICKKING LOVE THEM!

“Laaaaaaady....”

Wow Johnny!

I saw that Broadway musical!