Alex confirms Rush is "basically done"

Wil1972

Wikipedia just changed their page on RUSH to say, "Rush WAS a Canadian prog Rock band..."

IT'S OFFICIAL, FOLKS!!!!

Should be "Rush WERE a Canadian prog rock band". They speak the Queen's English in Canada. Therefore I don't believe it ;)

A grammatical difference that I've never been able to tolerate. I will always say Rush was..... :laughing guy:

Rush is a collective noun functioning as a unit - "was" is correct.

So, would you say "The Beatles was great"?

No. That's clearly a plural noun, not a collective noun.

And putting quotes around "The Beatles" (post #198) is conceptualizing the phrase as a name, thereby treating it as singular. You've boxed it up, in a way.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 3

Wikipedia just changed their page on RUSH to say, "Rush WAS a Canadian prog Rock band..."

IT'S OFFICIAL, FOLKS!!!!

Should be "Rush WERE a Canadian prog rock band". They speak the Queen's English in Canada. Therefore I don't believe it ;)

A grammatical difference that I've never been able to tolerate. I will always say Rush was..... :laughing guy:

And putting quotes around "The Beatles" (post #198) is conceptualizing the phrase as a name, thereby treating it as singular. You've boxed it up, in a way.

A+ :ebert:

In the case of Rush, use of a singular or plural verb form can be used, depending on context. "Rush is a prog band." (collective) But, "Rush are playing in Seattle tomorrow." ( individuals, acting together)

Now, how about the use of "None of them are..."? :P

IT'S OFFICIAL, FOLKS!!!!

In the case of Rush, use of a singular or plural verb form can be used, depending on context. "Rush is a prog band." (collective) But, "Rush are playing in Seattle tomorrow." ( individuals, acting together)

None = not one

Also:

Make sure everybody has proper shoes.

Make sure every body has a toe-tag.

• Like 3

Alex saying that Rush is finished is evidence enough to me that Rush will record a new album and tour again. Alex always gets his facts wrong when talking about what Rush is planning to do and what makes this any different?

:LOL:

I said something about Lifeson giving incorrect info earlier in this thread or another thread maybe.

I do think Rush is done but not because of his quote. I had already thought they were. Anyway...

Yeah, I think that they are done, also. Like I said earlier in this thread, I suspected the end was near after they released CA and Neil did an interview saying how he wanted to make CA the bands best album ever.

I remember thinking that was a red flag as well. He said something to the effect of wanting it to be his highest achievement artistically. If it accomplishes that, then where do you go from there?

• Like 1

IT'S OFFICIAL, FOLKS!!!!

None = not one

Also:

Man, you guys are gramma nazis..I thought CP was bad...:P

• Like 2

IT'S OFFICIAL, FOLKS!!!!

None = not one

Also:

Man, you guys are gramma nazis..I thought CP was bad...:P

This is what happens when Rush retires.

The Counterparts board has always been messed up :P

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 2

Man, you guys are gramma nazis....

Come on over to the Green Bay Packers' websites, where we eternally argue over "I'm a Packer fan" v. "I'm a Packers fan"....... :laughing guy:

• Like 2

Alex saying that Rush is finished is evidence enough to me that Rush will record a new album and tour again. Alex always gets his facts wrong when talking about what Rush is planning to do and what makes this any different?

I said something about Lifeson giving incorrect info earlier in this thread or another thread maybe.

I do think Rush is done but not because of his quote. I had already thought they were. Anyway...

Yeah, I think that they are done, also. Like I said earlier in this thread, I suspected the end was near after they released CA and Neil did an interview saying how he wanted to make CA the bands best album ever.

Poor guy. What a bitter disappointment that must be.

• Like 2

.....there were posts on CP by a guy who was trying to figure out how not to miss his 100th show that was on his wife's due date. I've long since forgotten his name, but he always wore a red Rush hockey jersey in his pics.

Yes, I was referring to that guy when I posted my earlier comment about attending lots of Rush shows. I definitely didn't mean to shame the guy here. It was on Counterparts, and he did catch a lot of flak, but it happened years ago. I hope the guy is very happy wherever he is.

My earlier post was only meant to describe how I personally felt about seeing as many Rush shows as possible. It's great if you can see them live many times, but I never wanted to make it into an obsession. I've never had the need to compete with anyone over how many times I've seen the band in concert. There's just no point to it..... :huh:

I could understand 5,10,20 shows per tour if the setlist varied. But when it's the same every single night with one or two different songs, I just don't have that desire. The only tour I saw more than twice was Time Machine, which is ironic because that was the worst tour they've ever done. Even the between-song banter is scripted.

The only time I saw them twice in one tour was their 30th Anniversary Tour. I saw them in Milwaukee in June, and then saw them again at Radio City Music Hall in August.

I lucked out big time, as I got to witness Alex's classic Paris Hilton rant during La Villa Strangiato. Best Rush moment EVER!!

:haz: :haz:

I got to see them twice in a number of tours:

RTB: Three times--Milwaukee in the fall of 91, and two nights in a row (Alpine Valley and Chicago) in the summer of 92

T4E: Milwaukee both times, at the Bradley Center in the fall of 96 and Marcus Ampitheater in the summer of 97

VT: Milwaukee in the summer of 2002 and Chicago in the fall

S & A: Atlanta in the summer of 2007 and Cincinnati in the summer of 2008

For all of these shows (except the summer Alpine Valley shows on the RTB tour), there was at least some variation in the sets, although typically a handful of songs.

Neil is 65, and Alex & Geddy are 64. It's their time.

I don't think any of the "old-timer" bands who are still touring could do on stage what Rush did. Yeah, Charlie Watts can play until he's 80. He's been playing the same simple beat for nearly 60 years. He could never do what Neil did every night on stage.

Charlie Watts couldn't do what Neil did on stage for ten seconds.

Hahahaha!

Neil couldn't do what Charlie could do on stage for 21.12 seconds!!

Charlie can swing!

Neil can not!

But...but...what about the Peter Erskine lessons??

Sincerely,

Joe Morello

• Like 2

Neil actually believes it is the best album that they ever made.

As does Geddy. At least that's what he told Dan Rather.

They always think their latest album is the best ever. I get why that would be. But when one of them said it when Test for Echo was released I stopped giving that stuff much value after a couple weeks of listening to that album.

• Like 1

Of course he does. What else could he believe?

IT'S OFFICIAL, FOLKS!!!!

Neil edited that.

You know, I don’t think I’ve ever heard Peart use the word “prog” in reference to the band. I thought he always simply said “rock band”. I believe fans and writers/critics inserted the word “prog” later...sometimes years later.

He’d definitely use “WAS” though. Especially the CAPS!

• Like 1

IT'S OFFICIAL, FOLKS!!!!

None = not one

Also:

None also = not any

Fun with grammar! I actually wish we'd go back to when grammar - and spelling - was flexible.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

IT'S OFFICIAL, FOLKS!!!!

None = not one

Also:

Man, you guys are gramma nazis..I thought CP was bad... :P

I think you meant to say, "When RUSH retire".

:P

• Like 1

IT'S OFFICIAL, FOLKS!!!!

None = not one

Also:

Man, you guys are gramma nazis..I thought CP was bad... :P

I think you meant to say, "When RUSH retire".

:P

I just put that in there to see if anyone caught it!

Yeah yeah that’s what I meant to do!

You passed!

• Like 1

Neil is 65, and Alex & Geddy are 64. It's their time.

I don't think any of the "old-timer" bands who are still touring could do on stage what Rush did. Yeah, Charlie Watts can play until he's 80. He's been playing the same simple beat for nearly 60 years. He could never do what Neil did every night on stage.

Charlie Watts couldn't do what Neil did on stage for ten seconds.

Hahahaha!

Neil couldn't do what Charlie could do on stage for 21.12 seconds!!

Charlie can swing!

Neil can not!

But...but...what about the Peter Erskine lessons??

Sincerely,

Joe Morello

Erskine should have prescribed a steady diet of triplets and Afro-Cuban music.

Joe Morello f***ing rules!

• Like 2

Well whatever happens boys, here's to ya! Enjoy your well deserved time with friends and family. Thanks for all the music and memories.
  • Like 1