#61 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 11952 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 03:25 PM

View PostBlue J, on 04 July 2018 - 08:30 AM, said:

View PostLucas, on 25 June 2018 - 08:01 PM, said:

I had not heard of Morris acoustic guitar until somewhat recent  .. Their 1970s acoustic guitar are very similar to Martins in terms of woods and bracing, and they can be had for a fraction of the cost ... I came upon one and bought it ..  I'm not ever going to say "for a $200 guitar is sounds great" because it sounds great, period .. I was shocked when I first picked it up and played it ..

The projection and tone are incredible .... I've got a 1990 Martin M38, the 70s  and my 1979 Guild 412 , and this Morris fits right in in terms of sound and feel ..

Morris on the left, Guild 12 string on the right .... This was the Guild that, when my Dad and I went to pick it up in 1980, Jimmy Crespo wanted to see and played .. He actually showed me some of the chords to Stairway To Heaven ... great guy ..

Posted Image

For those who may be interested:

http://morris-guitar...m/about-morris/

I had no idea you had a Guild 412, Lucas! Very, very nice...and the Jimmy Crespo story, unreal...very cool.

I have never heard of Morris guitars before this- have to check that out.

I have my eye on another Martin right now, an HD-28...not quite 20 years old, and in just beautiful condition, nearly perfect. This is from another instrument dealer local to me, who is getting set to retire, so I may be getting an incredible deal on it. (Not $200, but still)...second time I’ve encountered this situation in the past six months. That was how I got my O-17 so cheap, too.

Josh, that sounds great -- go for it !!!!

Post pics when you get it ( .. not if you get it, but when :lol:

Sponsored Post

#62 Blue J

Blue J

Official SOCN Designated Driver

• Members *
  • 17917 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 04:32 PM

View PostLucas, on 04 July 2018 - 03:25 PM, said:

View PostBlue J, on 04 July 2018 - 08:30 AM, said:

I had not heard of Morris acoustic guitar until somewhat recent  .. Their 1970s acoustic guitar are very similar to Martins in terms of woods and bracing, and they can be had for a fraction of the cost ... I came upon one and bought it ..  I'm not ever going to say "for a $200 guitar is sounds great" because it sounds great, period .. I was shocked when I first picked it up and played it ..

The projection and tone are incredible .... I've got a 1990 Martin M38, the 70s  and my 1979 Guild 412 , and this Morris fits right in in terms of sound and feel ..

Morris on the left, Guild 12 string on the right .... This was the Guild that, when my Dad and I went to pick it up in 1980, Jimmy Crespo wanted to see and played .. He actually showed me some of the chords to Stairway To Heaven ... great guy ..

Posted Image

I had no idea you had a Guild 412, Lucas! Very, very nice...and the Jimmy Crespo story, unreal...very cool.

I have never heard of Morris guitars before this- have to check that out.

I have my eye on another Martin right now, an HD-28...not quite 20 years old, and in just beautiful condition, nearly perfect. This is from another instrument dealer local to me, who is getting set to retire, so I may be getting an incredible deal on it. (Not $200, but still)...second time I’ve encountered this situation in the past six months. That was how I got my O-17 so cheap, too.

Josh, that sounds great -- go for it !!!!

Post pics when you get it ( .. not if you get it, but when :lol:

I am going for it! Been talking to the guy today, picking it up tomorrow ;)

#63 pjbear05

pjbear05

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 2074 posts
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:54 AM

Just finished watching the YouTube vid of Joe Bonamassa's Nerdville.  Jesus freaking Christ.

#64 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6317 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:57 PM

Posted Image

Three beauties in that picture, for sure...

#65 fraroc

fraroc

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2592 posts
  • Interests:Rock music, roller coasters, aviation, writing novels,

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:09 PM

Posted Image

The guitars are nice but OMG A PUPPY <3

#66 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 11952 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:49 PM

View Postfraroc, on 06 July 2018 - 03:09 PM, said:

Posted Image

The guitars are nice but OMG A PUPPY <3

Thank Fraroc, that's "The Professor"

:lol:

#67 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 11952 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:53 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 05 July 2018 - 11:57 PM, said:

Posted Image

Thanks TM

Any new acquisitions on your end  ??

Blue J just upped the ante

#68 Blue J

Blue J

• Members *
  • 17917 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:34 AM

View PostLucas, on 06 July 2018 - 08:53 PM, said:

View Posttoymaker, on 05 July 2018 - 11:57 PM, said:

Posted Image

Thanks TM

Oh did I, then? :D

I got that guitar on Thursday, but went on a short trip Friday...just returned yesterday and was feeling crappy, so anyway, I’ve hardly had time to play it at all yet.

But this is Sunday morning, so that’s prime time for me :)

Photos to follow...of my whole acoustic guitarsenal, to this point...

#69 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6317 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:20 PM

Thanks TM

Thought I was done for a while, but I saw one of these second hand, in great shape:

Posted Image

I didn't buy it the first time.  Nor the second time.  Told myself if it was still there the third time I went in, and if it was fun to play, I'd get it.  Guess it was meant to be.

Edited by toymaker, 09 July 2018 - 04:21 PM.

#70 Blue J

Blue J

• Members *
  • 17917 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:25 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 09 July 2018 - 04:20 PM, said:

Thanks TM

Thought I was done for a while, but I saw one of these second hand, in great shape:

Posted Image

I didn't buy it the first time.  Nor the second time.  Told myself if it was still there the third time I went in, and if it was fun to play, I'd get it.  Guess it was meant to be.

Beautiful!

#71 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6317 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:28 PM

View PostBlue J, on 09 July 2018 - 06:25 PM, said:

Thanks TM

Posted Image

Beautiful!

The thing glows from the inside...

The Gibson folks know how to do a finish.  It has depth and life.  Call me a freak, but I get mesmerized.

Edited by toymaker, 09 July 2018 - 06:30 PM.

#72 Blue J

Blue J

• Members *
  • 17917 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:41 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 09 July 2018 - 06:28 PM, said:

Thanks TM

Posted Image

Beautiful!

The Gibson folks know how to do a finish.  It has depth and life.  Call me a freak, but I get mesmerized.

And did you have any doubt that it would be fun to play? ;)

#73 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6317 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:45 PM

View PostBlue J, on 09 July 2018 - 06:41 PM, said:

Thanks TM

Posted Image

Beautiful!

I did, a little bit, but mostly because of my own physical limitations...I have a fairly limited bag o' tricks when it comes to playing lead stuff, and added to that is a boney something in my left index finger (osteophyte?  something like that) that causes swelling, making it hard to bend my finger - cruel joke on the part of the universe.  So sometimes I look at a nice guitar and think, that would probably be wasted on me...sigh.

#74 Blue J

Blue J

• Members *
  • 17917 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 07:13 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 09 July 2018 - 06:45 PM, said:

Thanks TM

Posted Image

Beautiful!

I did, a little bit, but mostly because of my own physical limitations...I have a fairly limited bag o' tricks when it comes to playing lead stuff, and added to that is a boney something in my left index finger (osteophyte?  something like that) that causes swelling, making it hard to bend my finger - cruel joke on the part of the universe.  So sometimes I look at a nice guitar and think, that would probably be wasted on me...sigh.

I really don’t play leads or solos or anything like that either...but I can understand where you’re coming from, sure.

But I never think a nice guitar is a waste. ;)

#75 grep

grep

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:29 PM

I picked up a Tech-21 GED-2112 box.

Geddy Jazz Bass - check.
Rotosound 66 strings - check.
15" Hartke Combo Amp (150W) - check.
Cliff Burton Waaahhh. -check.
GED-2112. -Check.

My neighbors have never been more annoyed by such an awesome sound!!! I may not play anywhere near as well as Geddy. But damn, I love hearing that sound when I approximate the riff to Cygnus X-1.  ;)

#76 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6317 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:37 PM

View Postgrep, on 09 July 2018 - 08:29 PM, said:

Geddy Jazz Bass - check.
GED-2112. -Check.

My neighbors have never been more annoyed by such an awesome sound!!! I may not play anywhere near as well as Geddy. But damn, I love hearing that sound when I approximate the riff to Cygnus X-1.  ;)

Is the box pretty user-friendly?

#77 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 11952 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:21 AM

Thanks TM

Posted Image

Beautiful!

That is one beautiful guitar, and as nice as it is, it is lucky to have landed with an owner so deserving

bravo !!

#78 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6317 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:53 AM

View PostLucas, on 11 July 2018 - 11:21 AM, said:

Thanks TM

Posted Image

Beautiful!

That is one beautiful guitar, and as nice as it is, it is lucky to have landed with an owner so deserving

bravo !!

I've been wondering if I should let go of the Epiphone Les Paul Ultra.  It's a great guitar, but I'm wondering if it'll get much play now.  I can always come up with a reason for not parting with a guitar...that one was my first purchase of any quality.  But once you reach the point of guitars in their cases stuck in closets, maybe there is no point.

#79 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6317 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:13 PM

Posted Image

Edited by toymaker, 12 July 2018 - 04:15 PM.

#80 grep

grep

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:36 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 10 July 2018 - 08:37 PM, said:

View Postgrep, on 09 July 2018 - 08:29 PM, said:

Geddy Jazz Bass - check.
GED-2112. -Check.

Is the box pretty user-friendly?

It is. Just a few dials, but so many sounds. I haven't really messed with it too much, happy to hear the Geddy sound coming from my untalented fingers.

There are notes from Ged in the manual to tune to his MP era sound as well as his Chris Squire sound from the RRHOF ceremony.

Edited by grep, 13 July 2018 - 10:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users