Gear Acquisition Syndrome

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#41 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 4786 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:50 PM

View PostLucas, on 22 March 2018 - 07:13 PM, said:

The newest member of the family

Alvarez Yairi 5056 with the "Tree Of Life" inlay

I have always loved this model, but they are few and far between .. This one came available, and I made the owner an offer he couldn't refuse - he agreed, then changed his mind - I was crushed ... About a week later, he contacted me and agreed ... I assured him the 5056 was going to a good home !!

Older Alvarez acoustics are very hard to date, but the owner had it for 35 years - my guess is late 70s

Posted Image

Posted Image
Noice! I got a 93 Alverez Regent 5212 that I use for my 'screwing around while watching tv' guitar. Really surprised that it plays well for a $300 or so beginner instrument that's 25 years old. But the quality of mine doesn't hold a candle to your Yairi.

Sponsored Post

#42 Blue J

Blue J

Official SOCN Designated Driver

• Members *
  • 18301 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 08:35 AM

View PostLucas, on 22 March 2018 - 07:13 PM, said:

The newest member of the family

Alvarez Yairi 5056 with the "Tree Of Life" inlay

I have always loved this model, but they are few and far between .. This one came available, and I made the owner an offer he couldn't refuse - he agreed, then changed his mind - I was crushed ... About a week later, he contacted me and agreed ... I assured him the 5056 was going to a good home !!

Older Alvarez acoustics are very hard to date, but the owner had it for 35 years - my guess is late 70s

Posted Image

Posted Image

Beautiful!

I haven’t been around enough lately to know that you posted pics of it here.

Isn’t there a serial number inside that you could verify the date exactly, if you wanted to?

That’s what I’d do. But I’m a total numbers and dates geek, and I realize that others may not be, haha.

Now I’m thinking of getting an image-hosting account just so I can post a few pics of my prize possession, too! (Well...two or three of them!).

#43 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridge™

• Members *
  • 10528 posts
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:12 AM

My GAS seems to have stopped for the meantime....I used to buy things like crazy, but I now find myself in a position where I now have the best sounding gear (to my ears anyway) I have ever owned, and nothing I have tried out recently can top it.

It's not even particularly expensive, just an Ernie Ball Musicman Silhouette, a Blackstar HT Stage 60, and a Boss GT8 (yes really lol) which I run in 4CM for effects only.

Crazy I know, but even the likes of Mesa Boogie stuff etc can't seem to improve on it.

#44 Symmetre

Symmetre

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Travel, wine, music, photography.

Posted 03 April 2018 - 03:09 PM

I hear ya, Fridge. I have what I want too, for the most part. Love my Boogie. Love my Les Paul. Love my Yamaha AES 420. Very much love the 30 year-old Washburn dreadnaught I've had for most of my adult life. Love my Strat most of all. The only two things that tempt me now are a PRS P22 with the piezo, and perhaps a Gibson doubleneck. I need a doubleneck like I need a hole in the head, but who ever said GAS had to make any sense at all?

#45 Maverick

Maverick

SWEDGIN!

• Members *
  • 24856 posts
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:14 PM

View PostSymmetre, on 03 April 2018 - 03:09 PM, said:

I hear ya, Fridge. I have what I want too, for the most part. Love my Boogie. Love my Les Paul. Love my Yamaha AES 420. Very much love the 30 year-old Washburn dreadnaught I've had for most of my adult life. Love my Strat most of all. The only two things that tempt me now are a PRS P22 with the piezo, and perhaps a Gibson doubleneck. I need a doubleneck like I need a hole in the head, but who ever said GAS had to make any sense at all?

What Mesa Boogie do you have?  I have a 2006 Lone Star Classic and a 2013 Mark V.

#46 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridge™

• Members *
  • 10528 posts
    hillwalking

Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:49 AM

View PostMaverick, on 03 April 2018 - 11:14 PM, said:

What Mesa Boogie do you have?  I have a 2006 Lone Star Classic and a 2013 Mark V.

The Mark v seems like a whole load of amp for the money, but unfortunately funds won't allow it.

#47 Maverick

Maverick

SWEDGIN!

• Members *
  • 24856 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:46 AM

View PostFridge, on 04 April 2018 - 03:49 AM, said:

The Mark v seems like a whole load of amp for the money, but unfortunately funds won't allow it.

I got mine from Guitar Center here in the states for basically $1000 off ($1300 instead of $2300) because Guitar Center had terminated their contract with Mesa, and were just trying to unload their inventory.  It's a beast of an amp, totally versatile.  But I generally set it up like a Lone Star but with the graphic EQ, which the Lone Star doesn't have.

#48 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridge™

• Members *
  • 10528 posts
    hillwalking

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:40 AM

The only two things that tempt me now are a PRS P22 with the piezo,

I must admit, if I could somehow get a piezo bridge fitted to my musicman, I would be very tempted.....I know the MM JP6 has one, so maybe it's possible.

#49 Blue J

Blue J

• Members *
  • 18301 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:08 AM

I think if I were going to get an electric guitar, I’d have to get a Gretsch. I played one at my local independent shop about a week ago, and man, it was nice.

There’s another local shop in another part of town, where I bought my latest (well, vintage) Martin- they had a 1964 Country Gentleman there, and god, it was a beauty. A bit too rich for my blood, though, at $4000.

#50 Symmetre

Symmetre

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Travel, wine, music, photography.

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:38 PM

Little Mark V 25, pushing two Boogie Thiele 1x12 cabinets (one open backed, one closed backed). Most of the time I run it at 10 watts and it's still massively loud for such a little head.

What I like about the V 25 is the clean channel. It sparkles like nothing else ... add a tiny bit of reverb for color and it's just ... luscious.

The dirty channel is nice, but running it in clean (Ch. 1) with crunch on, gain, treble and mids cranked up gives it a meaty, Marshall plexi-like sound that's even nicer. Check it out - here it is with the Strat (2014 American Deluxe, with fender Noiseless 3 single coils ... same guitar in my avatar pic) ... I know I muffed up the solo but you get the point. This is on the clean channel, with the crunch on and gain/treb/mids all around 8. Just hacking around in the basement, playing along with the album, recorded on my phone.  https://soundcloud.c...imelight-almost

Seriously, it's the nicest amp I've ever owned. I couldn't be more impressed with it.

Edited by Symmetre, 11 April 2018 - 03:46 PM.

#51 Maverick

Maverick

SWEDGIN!

• Members *
  • 24856 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:46 PM

I recently ordered and received an AnalogMan Sun Face NKT Red Dot fuzz, and I love it!

It's a great Fuzz Face type fuzz, but with no RF, and it is extremely quiet while not playing, even with single coils.

#52 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 34664 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:35 PM

View PostMaverick, on 14 June 2018 - 05:46 PM, said:

I recently ordered and received an AnalogMan Sun Face NKT Red Dot fuzz, and I love it!

It's a great Fuzz Face type fuzz, but with no RF, and it is extremely quiet while not playing, even with single coils.

At some point I'm going to add a fuzz, and what you're describing there is pretty much what I'm looking for. Will seek out samples on YouTube.

#53 Maverick

Maverick

SWEDGIN!

• Members *
  • 24856 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 06:35 AM

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 14 June 2018 - 10:35 PM, said:

At some point I'm going to add a fuzz, and what you're describing there is pretty much what I'm looking for. Will seek out samples on YouTube.

The one I got actually makes an appearance at the end of the video.  They replace the fuzz on the left side with one that says NKT and has a red dot beneath it.  then they have a little back and forth with the NKT 275 and the NKT Red Dot.  The first time I watched the video, I thought the Red Dot sounded the best of the four they had been looking at.  And the guy Dan (with the beard and glasses) actually bought one, as well.  I've seen it show up on his pedal board in subsequent videos.

#54 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 34664 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 11:33 AM

View PostMaverick, on 15 June 2018 - 06:35 AM, said:

The one I got actually makes an appearance at the end of the video.  They replace the fuzz on the left side with one that says NKT and has a red dot beneath it.  then they have a little back and forth with the NKT 275 and the NKT Red Dot.  The first time I watched the video, I thought the Red Dot sounded the best of the four they had been looking at.  And the guy Dan (with the beard and glasses) actually bought one, as well.  I've seen it show up on his pedal board in subsequent videos.

I like the red dot the best, too. I think I'll get one, but not right now -- by the time I add the LED and power jack it will cost over $200, so it'll have to wait a bit.

#55 Maverick

Maverick

SWEDGIN!

• Members *
  • 24856 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:16 PM

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 21 June 2018 - 11:33 AM, said:

I like the red dot the best, too. I think I'll get one, but not right now -- by the time I add the LED and power jack it will cost over $200, so it'll have to wait a bit.

From what I read, you can, and should, forgo the LED and the 9v power input. First off, you'll know if the pedal is on, so no need for a light. Second, the pedal run amazing on a cheap, non-alkaline battery that lasts forever.

I would recommend the bias knob and fuzz knob that disconnects the battery when not in use. You will get several hundred hours out of a single battery that way.

#56 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 34664 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:21 PM

View PostMaverick, on 21 June 2018 - 03:16 PM, said:

From what I read, you can, and should, forgo the LED and the 9v power input. First off, you'll know if the pedal is on, so no need for a light. Second, the pedal run amazing on a cheap, non-alkaline battery that lasts forever.

I would recommend the bias knob and fuzz knob that disconnects the battery when not in use. You will get several hundred hours out of a single battery that way.

If I ran a pedalboard, I would probably go that way. But my pedals are in my rack and are powered by a power supply, and switched in and out of the signal path via MIDI. I could probably do without the LED, but the power jack is pretty important. I like to turn on the main power on the rack and not have to think about batteries or anything else.

#57 Maverick

Maverick

SWEDGIN!

• Members *
  • 24856 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 04:54 PM

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 21 June 2018 - 03:21 PM, said:

If I ran a pedalboard, I would probably go that way. But my pedals are in my rack and are powered by a power supply, and switched in and out of the signal path via MIDI. I could probably do without the LED, but the power jack is pretty important. I like to turn on the main power on the rack and not have to think about batteries or anything else.

I assume your rack power supplies are all isolated from each other, right? The Sun Face cannot share power with other pedals, or it will destroy the power supply.

#58 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 34664 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:10 PM

View PostMaverick, on 23 June 2018 - 04:54 PM, said:

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 21 June 2018 - 03:21 PM, said:

I assume your rack power supplies are all isolated from each other, right? The Sun Face cannot share power with other pedals, or it will destroy the power supply.

Yep, isolated. Voodoo Lab Pedal Power

#59 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 12326 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:01 PM

I had not heard of Morris acoustic guitar until somewhat recent  .. Their 1970s acoustic guitar are very similar to Martins in terms of woods and bracing, and they can be had for a fraction of the cost ... I came upon one and bought it ..  I'm not ever going to say "for a $200 guitar is sounds great" because it sounds great, period .. I was shocked when I first picked it up and played it ..

The projection and tone are incredible .... I've got a 1990 Martin M38, the 70s  and my 1979 Guild 412 , and this Morris fits right in in terms of sound and feel ..

Morris on the left, Guild 12 string on the right .... This was the Guild that, when my Dad and I went to pick it up in 1980, Jimmy Crespo wanted to see and played .. He actually showed me some of the chords to Stairway To Heaven ... great guy ..

Posted Image

For those who may be interested:

http://morris-guitar...m/about-morris/

#60 Blue J

Blue J

• Members *
  • 18301 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 08:30 AM

View PostLucas, on 25 June 2018 - 08:01 PM, said:

I had not heard of Morris acoustic guitar until somewhat recent  .. Their 1970s acoustic guitar are very similar to Martins in terms of woods and bracing, and they can be had for a fraction of the cost ... I came upon one and bought it ..  I'm not ever going to say "for a $200 guitar is sounds great" because it sounds great, period .. I was shocked when I first picked it up and played it ..

The projection and tone are incredible .... I've got a 1990 Martin M38, the 70s  and my 1979 Guild 412 , and this Morris fits right in in terms of sound and feel ..

Morris on the left, Guild 12 string on the right .... This was the Guild that, when my Dad and I went to pick it up in 1980, Jimmy Crespo wanted to see and played .. He actually showed me some of the chords to Stairway To Heaven ... great guy ..

Posted Image

For those who may be interested:

http://morris-guitar...m/about-morris/

I had no idea you had a Guild 412, Lucas! Very, very nice...and the Jimmy Crespo story, unreal...very cool.

I have never heard of Morris guitars before this- have to check that out.

I have my eye on another Martin right now, an HD-28...not quite 20 years old, and in just beautiful condition, nearly perfect. This is from another instrument dealer local to me, who is getting set to retire, so I may be getting an incredible deal on it. (Not $200, but still)...second time I’ve encountered this situation in the past six months. That was how I got my 0-17 so cheap, too.

Edited by Blue J, 04 July 2018 - 04:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users