Jump to content


Have Rush used sheet music while composing their songs?


  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Texas King

Texas King

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1844 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:41 PM

I don't know so I'm asking you...
What do you know about this?

Sponsored Post

#2 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 5209 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:43 PM

I don't think any of them know how to read sheet music. Pretty sure they were all pretty much self taught, just playing along to their favorite records.

#3 edhunter

edhunter

    Solar Federalist

  • Members *
  • 2901 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:45 PM

No.

#4 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

    The Oracle

  • Members
  • 10872 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:59 PM

How would any of us know unless we were there when they wrote stuff?

#5 Bigbobby10

Bigbobby10

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3197 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:51 PM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 13 January 2018 - 05:59 PM, said:

How would any of us know unless we were there when they wrote stuff?

They could have said it in an interview or someone in the studio with them????

Or even pictures of them with sheet music in the studio?

kinda obvious

Edited by Bigbobby10, 13 January 2018 - 06:53 PM.


#6 patjnev

patjnev

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 569 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hurst, Tx
  • Interests:Music

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:11 PM

Not likely . They would probably use charts . I kind of remember Alex referencing them in a interview. Charts are mostly handwritten notes used for reference. But like previous post stated they probably learned to play like most rock musicians by playing along to records. Thus using their memory mostly.

#7 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 5209 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:45 PM

View Postpatjnev, on 13 January 2018 - 07:11 PM, said:

Not likely . They would probably use charts . I kind of remember Alex referencing them in a interview. Charts are mostly handwritten notes used for reference. But like previous post stated they probably learned to play like most rock musicians by playing along to records. Thus using their memory mostly.

Learning sheet music will teach you a lot (I mean a heck of a lot), but in the grand scheme of all things, it will not teach you music. That, you have to figure out yourself.

#8 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 4464 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:kalamazoo, mi
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:52 PM

Sheet music turns music into math. They probably used notes and charts, but playing to sheet music really slows the creativity process down. Al is sort of the 'accidental genius' that comes up with stuff by accident. You don't do that if you're following sheet music. So highly unlikely.

Edited by HemiBeers, 13 January 2018 - 09:53 PM.


#9 Maverick

Maverick

    SWEDGIN!

  • Members *
  • 24633 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Low Earth Orbit
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:06 PM

Geddy once said he learned to read music when he began getting serious about playing piano in the late 80's or early 90's (I think it was an interview for Presto.)  Maybe they used chord charts of some kind just for guidance.  But I don't see anything being written in sheet music form, especially solos or anything like that.

#10 Tinwoodsman

Tinwoodsman

    By-Tor on the Bayou

  • Members
  • 20047 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:retired
  • Interests:Musical interludes

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:28 PM

I bought a Rush guitar tab book published by Warner Bros. C 1995

Guitar Anthology Series (Rush)

It was transcribed by Hemme Luttjeboer, Wayne Cockfield, Eli Simpson and Bill Lafleur.

It has notes and tabs for 1 or 2 guitars and solos where applicable.

There are 20 songs in the book.

... looks like they are still available  (used) for a little over ten bucks. (Ten bucks is ten bucks)

I dont think you'll find any rush written sheet music but the boys did write out some lyrics early on ... fly by night if I recall correctly.

Edited by Tinwoodsman, 13 January 2018 - 11:30 PM.


#11 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21906 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:28 AM

I would seriously doubt it. I could see Neil using drum charts for complicated songs but that’s it.

#12 grasbo

grasbo

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 881 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:australia
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:01 AM

I don't think they would have written out the music and then played it as a lot of classical composers did.Beethoven was virtually deaf at the end of his (short)  life but he kept composing because he knew what the notes would sound like.Session musicians for the most part would have to read music because the music would have been prepared in advance.One notable exception was when Steely Dan(Becker and Fagen) got Mark Knopfler in and handed him the sheet music.Knopfler admitted he couldn't read music and amazingly they let him have free reign.Most members of Yes in the 70s couldn't read.I would imagine that Alex,Geddy and Neil would be able to read music but like most bands they would just get in a room and just jam it out.

#13 edhunter

edhunter

    Solar Federalist

  • Members *
  • 2901 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:50 AM

View PostTinwoodsman, on 13 January 2018 - 11:28 PM, said:

I bought a Rush guitar tab book published by Warner Bros. C 1995

Guitar Anthology Series (Rush)

It was transcribed by Hemme Luttjeboer, Wayne Cockfield, Eli Simpson and Bill Lafleur.

It has notes and tabs for 1 or 2 guitars and solos where applicable.

There are 20 songs in the book.

... looks like they are still available  (used) for a little over ten bucks. (Ten bucks is ten bucks)

I dont think you'll find any rush written sheet music but the boys did write out some lyrics early on ... fly by night if I recall correctly.

About a year or so ago I posted a link here to about 85 basslines that I had transcribed on my own or so since 1992. It spans every record in their catalogue.

#14 edhunter

edhunter

    Solar Federalist

  • Members *
  • 2901 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:53 AM

oops...

Edited by edhunter, 15 January 2018 - 04:53 AM.


#15 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 59225 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:14 AM

View PostHemiBeers, on 13 January 2018 - 09:52 PM, said:

Sheet music turns music into math.
Dream Theater?

#16 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 59225 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:16 AM

View Postgrasbo, on 15 January 2018 - 03:01 AM, said:

I don't think they would have written out the music and then played it as a lot of classical composers did.Beethoven was virtually deaf at the end of his (short)  life but he kept composing because he knew what the notes would sound like.Session musicians for the most part would have to read music because the music would have been prepared in advance.One notable exception was when Steely Dan(Becker and Fagen) got Mark Knopfler in and handed him the sheet music.Knopfler admitted he couldn't read music and amazingly they let him have free reign.Most members of Yes in the 70s couldn't read.I would imagine that Alex,Geddy and Neil would be able to read music but like most bands they would just get in a room and just jam it out.
McCartney doesn't read sheet.  (or didn't)

Edited by goose, 15 January 2018 - 11:16 AM.


#17 toymaker

toymaker

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 6345 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:25 PM

I don't think Rush ever used sheet music, but they did start using some shit music in composing their songs later in their career.

#18 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 59225 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:45 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 15 January 2018 - 12:25 PM, said:

I don't think Rush ever used sheet music, but they did start using some shit music in composing their songs later in their career.
:lol:

#19 grasbo

grasbo

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 881 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:australia
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:48 PM

I teach guitar and i usually say to my students or anyone who will listen that  five of the greatest rock guitarists,Hendrix,Knopfler,Page,Angus Young and the brilliant Aussie Tommy Emmanuel cannot read music yet they feel,listen and use their memory and imagination to play.To play classical music you have to read music.With rock ,blues,jazz,country or anything else for that matter things get a bit more tribal and it is playing more from the gut.Despite Rush 's music being somewhat complex at times i would say it is the knowledge of the rudiments(see Neils drum videos) rather than a written out song that they would use.

#20 Lurkst

Lurkst

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 353 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:18 PM

View PostTinwoodsman, on 13 January 2018 - 11:28 PM, said:

I dont think you'll find any rush written sheet music but the boys did write out some lyrics early on ... fly by night if I recall correctly.

Fly By Night was the one album where the written lyric sheets made the album sleeve but they were done that way for most of their career. The Beyond The Lighted Stage film shows the handwritten lyrics for a number of songs.
I seem to remember Neil saying as much as he enjoyed using a computer to compose lyrics, he would always write them on a pad with a marker pen.






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users