New Gibson double cut

HemiBeers

So what do you think? $4k is a sweet deal for one of these right?

https://reverb.com/n...B&utm_source=FB

My first thought is...WTF is the market they think they're going after? Looks sort of PRS-ish. Or some kind of $300 Ibanez beginner guitar. But no wammy bar. Colors look like Daisy Guitar. And how many other realllllllly nice guitars could you get for less than $4k?

:facepalm: If I walked by this in the store, I'd just think 'jesus...ugly AF' and not look twice. Fail.

Guitar manufacturers have it tough to come up with something 'new' considering the same basic design has been working for the past 60-70 years. It's pretty much all been done in that timeframe.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

Gibson is advertising this as their first 24-fret guitar, and their inexperience shows. It's a 24-fret guitar, sure, but access to the upper frets is not that great. It's almost like a normal 22-fret neck and body configuration with an extended fretboard. Gibson wasn't willing to configure the neck joint to allow the kind of access that a PRS and other real 24-fret guitars give you. This guitar is a cop-out.
  • Like 2

At the same price as our Modern Double Cut Standard, it's also a tremendous value

??

It looks like an accessory that would come with a Barbie Doll

"Rock'n Barbie" complete with plastic guitar and cardboard amp

• Like 1

They look cheap. If I'm forking out that kind of cash I want something that at least looks like it took some time and effort to make.
  • Like 3

I think if you pay that much for a Gibson, you want it to look like a Gibson . . .

Yeah, there's nothing really Gibsony about them. Of course, I don't know what they sound like, but it's hard to believe something so cheesy looking would have the tonal guts of a Les Paul or ES model.

• Like 3

I just channeled this spirit of Les Paul. He asked 'WTF is this shit? I thought the SG was a huge f**k up, but this takes the cake.'

Apparently the bastard child of a Rickenbacker/PRS one night stand. And you know those don't produce good results.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 3

Who needs it, anyway? If you bend the f**k out of the string at the 22nd fret, you'll reach the 24th fret note.

I'm already incompetent enough with 22 frets. the extra two would just be a waste.
  • Like 2

Who needs it, anyway? If you bend the f**k out of the string at the 22nd fret, you'll reach the 24th fret note.

I love playing a 24-fret. Not because I play the 23rd and 24th frets much, but because you have wide-open access to up to the 22nd fret. There's absolutely nothing in the way, and when you've played Les Pauls and Strats all your life, that kind of access to the upper frets is quite liberating.

• Like 1

I don't know how classical guitars do it - on my cheap little classical, the last 7 frets are on the body, beyond where I can play them comfortably. Of course, I suck at classical guitar.
  • Like 1

No contest, really.

140518180632.jpghttp://www.long-mcquade.com/files/97235/lg_ad35843ebef0e1455cc5ecb6eb4ec2d6.jpg

Edited by toymaker

Those Gibsons look like something that would have been seen in a Bangles video, circa 1986.

Is that something we want to go back to?

Edited by Blue J