Once again...

Saint NIck

My RUSH Family, I attended the Saints' playoff game this afternoon with an EXTREMELY heavy heart; my dear Aunt Maria passed away early yesterday afternoon. Some of Y'all may remember my posts from a while back in regards to her; with never being married, and no children, she was under our care until her siblings thought it best to be put into a nursing home. She went in for then-short-term-physical rehab, and dementia was already settling in, and Alzheimer's took full control over the last feeling-like 12 months. Aunt Maria was best friend; she was there the morning I was born, and we've always been close. When Mom got sick, and especially after she died 25 years ago, Aunt Maria & I got even closer; I'd visit her & my Grandmom every day, twice a day. When Grandmom passed on that Tuesday afternoon of June 17, 2003, the bond that we already had formed became even tighter...NEVER, EVER TO BE BROKEN. We did everything together; as a matter of fact, she used to take me to get a few RUSH albums many, many years ago. Even moreso, she came with me to my first-ever concert...RUSH...PRESTO here in New Orleans back-back-back on that Sunday night of Mardi Gras weekend in 1990. The first evening she went into the nursing home, I was talking with her in her room, and I told her, bawling in tears, "...You're not in this alone, I'll be here for you...you gotta meet me half way...". You know I was telling her, '...you gotta work with me, get back into shape...'. It wasn't happening; but beating my drum, I kept up my end...morning & evening visits, and I'm guessing over the last maybe 6 + months or more, help feed her; she couldn't. But she could hear, and I'd talk to her and try to make her laugh, even show her some, what we thought, were funny scenes from our favorite movies. I could write so much more about her, but I'm gonna be heading to morning mass soon on this rainy Monday in suburbia New Orleans. Yet, the sun is shining as our Saints advanced in the playoffs yesterday evening, and I have another very special guardian angel in Aunt Maria. Thanks & Love Y'all !!!
  • Like 2

I'm so sorry to hear this, Saint Nick. Your relatives and family have been lucky to have someone as caring as you on their journey with them. You have my sincere sympathy on the loss of your aunt.
  • Like 1

Sorry for your loss. My maternal grandpa and step grandma (my real one died 30 years ago so grandpa was widowed) died recently with the latter dying 4 months later so I know the feeling. My condolences.

Pains me my grandpa died a year before his Cubbies won since he grew up in Chicago. Because of him, they’re my NL team since I’m an Angels fan. Ryne Sandberg is my favorite Cubbie.

Edited by invisible airwave