Black Sabbath PARANOID ... 47 Years Ago Today

Lucas

January 7th, 1971

Black Sabbath release the now classic album Paranoid here in the US of A ..

The album was issued in the United Kingdom in October 1970, where its sales were enhanced by the success of the "Paranoid" single. "That single attracted screaming kids", Iommi recalled in the liner notes to Reunion in 1998. "We saw people dancing when we played it and we decided that we shouldn't do singles for a long while after that to stay true to the fans who'd liked us before we'd become popular." Paranoid's US release was delayed until January 1971, as the Black Sabbath album was still on the charts at the time of its UK release. Paranoid reached No. 12 in the US in March 1971 with virtually no radio airplay.

In the early 1970s, an American nurse committed suicide and the Paranoid album was found on her turntable. The album's possible influence in her decision to commit suicide was mentioned in the inquest, but ultimately it was decided that Black Sabbath were not to blame for her death. "A lot of the words in the songs – a lot of the moods of the songs – are aggressive," Iommi acknowledged. "Especially in the early days – Satanic, if you like ... That was the way it felt, so that was the way we played. But it got out of hand. With Paranoid in England, for instance. There was a girl found dead – a nurse she was: dead in her room with our album on the turntable going round. And it was taken to court saying that it was because of the album that she was depressed and killed herself, which was totally ridiculous, I think."

In a 1982 interview with The New Music Butler claimed, "If the moral majority don't understand it they'll try to put it down, or get other people to read all sorts of things into it ... The moral majority sort of people picked up on the Satanic part of it. I mean, most of it was about stopping wars and that side of it, and some science fiction stuff. There wasn't that much Satanic stuff, and what there was it wasn't exactly for the devil or anything like that; it was just around at the time and we just brought it to people's attention." In the documentary The Black Sabbath Story, Vol. 1, Butler expresses his frustration at how fans misinterpreted the band's lyrics, stating that "for instance, on 'Hand of Doom' they'll pick up one sentence out of that and blow it up into this big thing, like as if we're telling everyone to go and shoot smack. The whole song is against drugs."

Happy 47th Paranoid ... I'll give this classic a spin a bit later on

5b27b72e39988794d8da13075c10593d.1000x1000x1.png

• Like 9

I can play this album note for note all the way through.

Planet Caravan is my favourite Sabbath track.

"We sail the moonlit skies,

Stars shine like eyes,

The black night sighs..."

fantastic song !!!

• Like 1

This is the album that got me into Black Sabbath. I missed the release of their first album so as soon as I bought Paranoid, I quickly bought their first.

I thought this band photo was so cool when I first opened the album.

24696703877_6494b17f33_m.jpg

Edited by custom55
  • Like 4

Actually this album was released 18 September 1970.

In your neck of the woods Duck

Here in the states, it was Jan 7th 1971

The album was issued in the United Kingdom in October 1970, where its sales were enhanced by the success of the "Paranoid" single. "That single attracted screaming kids", Iommi recalled in the liner notes to Reunion in 1998. "We saw people dancing when we played it and we decided that we shouldn't do singles for a long while after that to stay true to the fans who'd liked us before we'd become popular." Paranoid's US release was delayed until January 1971, as the Black Sabbath album was still on the charts at the time of its UK release. Paranoid reached No. 12 in the US in March 1971 with virtually no radio airplay.

You always count the original release date as the real release date. Same with American bands who release an album in America or wherever. Like Dokken's Under Lock and Key which was released in October 1985, I got the US import on release day from a place called Shades in London but it wasn't released in the UK until the following March. Now I don't consider that a 1986 release, it's a 1985 release. Just like Paranoid is a 1970 release and not a 1971 release.

• Like 2

You always count the original release date as the real release date. Same with American bands who release an album in America or wherever. Like Dokken's Under Lock and Key which was released in October 1985, I got the US import on release day from a place called Shades in London but it wasn't released in the UK until the following March. Now I don't consider that a 1986 release, it's a 1985 release. Just like Paranoid is a 1970 release and not a 1971 release.

Dokken in a Sabbath thread? :rfl:

It had to be done. :smoke:

• Like 2

Nowhere near as bad as Nirvana getting mentioned in the top ten greatest bands thread.

• Like 2

But where did I say "original release date ??"

I simply made a thread "47 Years Ago Today"

Now don't get smart with me young man

But where did I say "original release date ??"

I simply made a thread "47 Years Ago Today"

Now don't get smart with me young man

it wasn't released 47 years ago today though, it was released in America 47 years ago today but it was already out there for anyone to buy the previous September.

Now I feel old !! :codger: Seems like not very long ago that I was sitting in class and my classmate Jeff Wasserman was telling me how his brother took him to the Black Sabbath concert in Pittsburgh, this was early 1972. (Cool brother! We were young!) I was jealous! Edited by blueschica
  • Like 3

It was 2008. I saw Ozzy, Priest and NIN in the same week. When it rains, it pours. Everyone comes in the summer. No one likes to come in the winter.

It was 2008. I saw Ozzy, Priest and NIN in the same week. When it rains, it pours. Everyone comes in the summer. No one likes to come in the winter.

It's too cold!

I saw Ozzy in 1984 at Donington Monsters of Rock along with Motley Crue, Accept, Y&T, Gary Moore, Van Halen and AC/DC. And then twice on the Ultimate Sin tour in 1986 with Ratt.

• Like 2

It's too cold!

I saw Ozzy in 1984 at Donington Monsters of Rock along with Motley Crue, Accept, Y&T, Gary Moore, Van Halen and AC/DC. And then twice on the Ultimate Sin tour in 1986 with Ratt.

Ozzy, Motley Crue, Van Halen and AC/DC is pretty amazing on one bill. And Ratt's a great opener for Ozzy.

The 80s were good for that. I saw Sabbath/Quiet Riot, Priest/Maiden, Def Leppard/Krokus, Aerosmith/GNR, Ozzy/UFO, Ozzy/Vandenberg, Crue/Whitesnake and probably a few I'm forgetting.

• Like 1

The moral majority sort of people picked up on the Satanic part of it. I mean, most of it was about stopping wars and that side of it, and some science fiction stuff. There wasn't that much Satanic stuff, and what there was it wasn't exactly for the devil or anything like that; it was just around at the time and we just brought it to people's attention."

For not having much Satanic stuff in their albums, the band sure did use Satanic imagery to market themselves. It's bad enough that a lot of fans misinterpreted the lyrics, but putting huge upside-down crosses on their stage and Satanic orgies on their album covers only made the misinterpretations worse.

This young man fell for it hook, line and sinker. The entire mystique of Black Sabbath was seductive, taboo, and thrilling. I still dig the band's albums quite a bit, but I can see how dorky I was for getting the message of their songs totally wrong. :LOL:

Edited by Principled Man

It's too cold!

Ozzy, Motley Crue, Van Halen and AC/DC is pretty amazing on one bill. And Ratt's a great opener for Ozzy.

The 80s were good for that. I saw Sabbath/Quiet Riot, Priest/Maiden, Def Leppard/Krokus, Aerosmith/GNR, Ozzy/UFO, Ozzy/Vandenberg, Crue/Whitesnake and probably a few I'm forgetting.

Motley Crue opened the show at 12 Noon with everybody still sitting around in picnic mode. So me and my mates were able to easily run to the front of the stage, and stay there...for a while.

• Like 1

It's too cold!

Motley Crue opened the show at 12 Noon with everybody still sitting around in picnic mode. So me and my mates were able to easily run to the front of the stage, and stay there...for a while.

I was at that Monsters of Rock gig. My fave Donington bill ever!

• Like 1