Which album has the better guitar work by Lifeson?

Texas King

Which album has the better guitar work by Lifeson: COS or MP?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which album has the better guitar work by Lifeson: COS or MP?

I agree with Caress of Steel. There are individual songs on Moving Pictures that stand out for the guitar work, but Caress is just a beast, from start to finish.

Interesting comparison, by the way.

Those two albums were only recorded a little more than five years apart. But what totally different feels, between them.

• Like 2

Well COS is more heavy metal so that automatically raises the guitar work to a different level. Also Alex is a little more "Alex" on COS, he'd stopped trying to be Jimmy page by then. On Moving Pictures Alex was deliberately using ideas and signature techniques of other guitarists, Andy Summers (Vital Signs), Allan Holdsworth (YYZ) for instance.
  • Like 2

idk, I know CoS has a lot of great Alex work on it, but even if there's a bit less of it on MP, I'd argue the good stuff there is just a whole level better. The guitar solos on TS and YYZ are just so fantastic, and of course there's the Limelight solo, which is otherworldly. Ooh, I always forget TCE solo, which is basically the best part of the entire 11 minute piece. And the RB solo is wonderful as well.

Sure CoS has a lot of great stuff, but I just don't hear it reaching those incredible heights of the solos on MP.