Jump to content


Horror/ Supernatural Thread


  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Boots

Boots

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3123 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Dragon's Lair
  • Interests:art, design, Stephen King, Anne Rice, Neil Gaiman, Clive Barker

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:14 PM

New Discovery:  Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and Owen King

This novel takes place in an Appalachian town whose main employer is a women's prison. The women become encased in a cocoon-like covering when they sleep.  If they wake up or are disturbed, then they become violent.  While asleep, they are transported to another realm. When the women are sleeping, the men are abandoned and resort to their primal instincts.  One woman named Evie is immune to the sleeping sickness. The powers that be attempt to figure out if she is an exception or a demon.

Posted Image

Edited by Boots, 07 January 2018 - 08:06 PM.


Sponsored Post

#2 Boots

Boots

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3123 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Dragon's Lair
  • Interests:art, design, Stephen King, Anne Rice, Neil Gaiman, Clive Barker

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:21 PM

Anne Rice is another horror author to check out.  Known mostly for her vampire novels, Anne has sold 100 million copies worldwide.  Two film adaptations were made from her Vampire Chronicles, Interview with the Vampire and Queen of the Damned. She has also written Christian literature and erotic fiction.  Her son Christopher is a writer, too.

#3 Boots

Boots

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3123 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Dragon's Lair
  • Interests:art, design, Stephen King, Anne Rice, Neil Gaiman, Clive Barker

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:29 PM

H.P. Lovecraft was known mostly for his short stories.  He was also one of the primary influences of Stephen King.  His fiction was published in pulp magazine in the 1920's and 1930's.  His most famous writings were The Call of the Cthulhu, At the Mountains of Madness, and The Shadow Out of Time.  He was unsuccessful in promoting himself, so most of his success occurred posthumously.  

Posted Image

#4 Boots

Boots

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3123 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Dragon's Lair
  • Interests:art, design, Stephen King, Anne Rice, Neil Gaiman, Clive Barker

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:35 PM

Clive Barker is another important writer in the horror genre.  He made a name for himself with the Books of Blood.  His books have been adapted into the Hellraiser and Candyman series.  In addition to writing, Barker is also a film director and visual artist. He produced the film Gods and Monsters.  His paintings and illustrations have been exhibited in many American galleries.

Posted Image

#5 Lucas

Lucas

    Leave That Wrench Alone

  • Members
  • 11353 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:49 PM

Boots, are you familiar with Michael Slade ??

As it began, "Michael Slade" was the pen name for a few Canadian authors, and the first novel, "Headhunter" ( 1984 ) was the first ( and best ) ..

I've read a few more of Slade's novels, but Headhunter was really the only outstanding one .. Unforgettable book, esp the ending ... and it was very apparent that the author(s) were Canadian, with the locations and RCMP being brought to life in great detail ..

Edited by Lucas, 07 January 2018 - 08:49 PM.


#6 Boots

Boots

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3123 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Dragon's Lair
  • Interests:art, design, Stephen King, Anne Rice, Neil Gaiman, Clive Barker

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:52 PM

View PostLucas, on 07 January 2018 - 08:49 PM, said:

Boots, are you familiar with Michael Slade ??

As it began, "Michael Slade" was the pen name for a few Canadian authors, and the first novel, "Headhunter" ( 1984 ) was the first ( and best ) ..

I've read a few more of Slade's novels, but Headhunter was really the only outstanding one .. Unforgettable book, esp the ending ... and it was very apparent that the author(s) were Canadian, with the locations and RCMP being brought to life in great detail ..
No, I haven't heard of him.  I'll have to check him out.  Thanks

#7 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 4218 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:34 AM

I enjoyed Peter Straub's "Shadowland". Sort of horrific magical realism.
I tried reading a couple of his other books but couldn't finish them. Too long-winded.
Akutagawa's short fiction can be quite horrific (Hell Screen, Cogwheels) and very depressing!
He's kind of like a Japanese EA Poe, and is probably best known for writing Rashomon and In a Grove (which were combined into the "Rashomon" movie). He was one crazy mofo.

Edited by vaportrailer, 08 January 2018 - 09:35 AM.


#8 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 85924 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:42 PM

Posted Image

#9 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 4218 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:52 AM

View Posttreeduck, on 08 January 2018 - 03:42 PM, said:

Posted Image

Super-naturals?

Edited by vaportrailer, 14 January 2018 - 03:52 AM.


#10 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 85924 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:54 AM

View Postvaportrailer, on 14 January 2018 - 03:52 AM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 08 January 2018 - 03:42 PM, said:

Posted Image

Super-naturals?
Her boobs are supernatural! :smoke:

#11 Finding IT

Finding IT

    Kung Fu Fighting

  • Members *
  • 16641 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Family and Friends, Education, Literature, FIRST Robotics, Teaching Martial Arts, Baltimore Ravens, MMA, Writing, Special Needs Kids, Classical Guitar, Gerrymandering

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:27 AM

View Postvaportrailer, on 08 January 2018 - 09:34 AM, said:

I enjoyed Peter Straub's "Shadowland". Sort of horrific magical realism.
I tried reading a couple of his other books but couldn't finish them. Too long-winded.
Akutagawa's short fiction can be quite horrific (Hell Screen, Cogwheels) and very depressing!
He's kind of like a Japanese EA Poe, and is probably best known for writing Rashomon and In a Grove (which were combined into the "Rashomon" movie). He was one crazy mofo.

I believe that Ghost Story is the most frightening book ever written in the English language.

Straub does write dense prose but I find it's worth it.

#12 Finding IT

Finding IT

    Kung Fu Fighting

  • Members *
  • 16641 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Family and Friends, Education, Literature, FIRST Robotics, Teaching Martial Arts, Baltimore Ravens, MMA, Writing, Special Needs Kids, Classical Guitar, Gerrymandering

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:40 AM

View PostBoots, on 07 January 2018 - 08:29 PM, said:

H.P. Lovecraft was known mostly for his short stories.  He was also one of the primary influences of Stephen King.  His fiction was published in pulp magazine in the 1920's and 1930's.  His most famous writings were The Call of the Cthulhu, At the Mountains of Madness, and The Shadow Out of Time.  He was unsuccessful in promoting himself, so most of his success occurred posthumously.  

Posted Image

Many fans of modern horror are unaware of the "Golden Age" of the ghost story which was the second half of the 19th century and the first half of the 20th. Much of this grew out of the Christmas and winter ghost stories told around the fire before radio was available. Authors like MR James, Sheridan Le Fanu, Elizabeth Gaskell, Ambrose Bierce, Wilkie Collins, etc. Many authors who are better known for other genres also wrote in this area such as Wilde, Stevenson, James, Doyle, and, of course, Dickens.

Victorian ghost stories are a very different kind of tale than modern horror - subtle and rich in intimation. I love 'em.

Edited by Finding IT, 22 January 2018 - 03:41 AM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users