POLL: Worst Rush song?

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

Poll: POLL: Worst Rush song? (65 member(s) have cast votes)

Worst Rush song?

1. Rivendell (11 votes [16.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.92%

2. I'm Think I'm Going Bold (3 votes [4.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.62%

3. Madrigal (2 votes [3.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.08%

4. Red Lenses (2 votes [3.08%] - View)

5. Emotion Detector (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Tai Shan (9 votes [13.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.85%

7. Superconductor (3 votes [4.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.62%

8. Face Up (6 votes [9.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.23%

9. Neurotica (5 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

10. Speed of Love (5 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

11. Dog Years (10 votes [15.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

12. The Stars Look Down (2 votes [3.08%] - View)

13. Bravest Face (6 votes [9.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.23%

14. Virtuality (1 votes [1.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.54%

How do you feel about a chosen song?

1. I still like it, though it's the worst. (2 votes [3.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.17%

2. It's kinda OK. (9 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. I don't care for it (and very rarely listen it). (13 votes [20.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.63%

4. I just dislike it. (19 votes [30.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.16%

5. I loathe it! (20 votes [31.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 theredtamasrule

theredtamasrule

The Elitist Booby Type

• Members
  • 8956 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:39 AM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 09 January 2018 - 03:22 AM, said:

View PostThe Cat 3, on 08 January 2018 - 04:57 PM, said:

"In a dog's life
A year is really more like seven
And all too soon a canine
Will be chasing cars in doggie heaven"

Quite possibly the worst rock lyrics by any artist, anywhere and at anytime in history.

:facepalm:
Not even the worst lyrics on T4E....ever heard Half the World?

Or Color of Right...threw up a little as I typed that.

Sponsored Post

#82 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4013 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:50 AM

Least favorite for me are:

Can't Fight It
Need Some Love
Fly By Night
Limelight
Superconductor
Face Up
Neurotica
The Speed Of Love
Carve Away The Stone

#83 TheAccountant

TheAccountant

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1295 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:39 AM

Dog Year for me which I loathe.  The lyrics are horrible and, what makes the song even worse, is that Neil wrote them while dealing with a massive hangover.  By that point in his life Neil was not a 20 year old and Alex & Geddy were not 20 year old's either.  My point is that Neil, after shaking off the hangover, should have been mature enough to realize what a monster he had created and (1) ripped them up and (2) told the guys he was hungover when he wrote them and (3) the guys should have told them they sucked.  When you are 20 you think everything you do is great.  By the time you are 40 you should have the idea that perhaps not everything you create (esp. when not at 100%) is all that great.

I believe I read that story in Martin Popoff's "Contents Under Pressure".  

So I can't stand the song but the guys get extra negative points for not realizing at the time that perhaps it should not have been allowed to exist.

That being said, Virtuality is a song I long did not like but overlooked because it was also on T4E.  In the last few years I have taken a better listen to it and man, it really stinks.  Not as bad as Dog Years but it may be the second worst Rush song, even worse than The Fountain of Lamneth & The Necromancer.  Perhaps even worse than the original VT album.  Thats really saying something for me.  Just bad lyrics.  Perhaps Neil was hungover again?

As for some of the other songs on the list, some are filler material, some are poor but not horrible, some are ok.  Some are actually decent.  I happen to like The Speed of Love a lot.  Tai Shan is very good.  Also Rivendell is ok.

#84 jnoble

jnoble

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1112 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:53 PM

The weaker half of the RTB songs isn't even so much because of the lyrics/music itself, its that damned Rupert Hine gutless sound & mix. Imagine these songs with the beefier Counterparts sound.

#85 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 71621 posts
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:00 PM

View PostTheAccountant, on 14 January 2018 - 11:39 AM, said:

Dog Year for me which I loathe.  The lyrics are horrible and, what makes the song even worse, is that Neil wrote them while dealing with a massive hangover.  By that point in his life Neil was not a 20 year old and Alex & Geddy were not 20 year old's either.  My point is that Neil, after shaking off the hangover, should have been mature enough to realize what a monster he had created and (1) ripped them up and (2) told the guys he was hungover when he wrote them and (3) the guys should have told them they sucked.  When you are 20 you think everything you do is great.  By the time you are 40 you should have the idea that perhaps not everything you create (esp. when not at 100%) is all that great.

I believe I read that story in Martin Popoff's "Contents Under Pressure".  

So I can't stand the song but the guys get extra negative points for not realizing at the time that perhaps it should not have been allowed to exist.

That being said, Virtuality is a song I long did not like but overlooked because it was also on T4E.  In the last few years I have taken a better listen to it and man, it really stinks.  Not as bad as Dog Years but it may be the second worst Rush song, even worse than The Fountain of Lamneth & The Necromancer.  Perhaps even worse than the original VT album.  Thats really saying something for me.  Just bad lyrics.  Perhaps Neil was hungover again?

As for some of the other songs on the list, some are filler material, some are poor but not horrible, some are ok.  Some are actually decent.  I happen to like The Speed of Love a lot.  Tai Shan is very good.  Also Rivendell is ok.
I like Virtuality (though the lyrics are lame).  On the other hand,  if Half the World was written when Neil was drunk,  and how could it not have been,  I'd be in favor of Prohibition.

Edited by laughedatbytime, 14 January 2018 - 05:00 PM.

#86 jnoble

jnoble

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1112 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:04 PM

Rush took one step forward one step back starting with Counterparts. The sound was bigger and bolder, possibly the best produced Rush album second only to Moving Pictures. Seriously, the production on CP was amazing. The bass was growling and in your face again, Alex's guitars were distorted and upfront, Neil's drums were bold and not buried in a thick coating of 80s reverb (HYF, I'm looking at you)
The step back was the lyrics. Neil suddenly taking himself too seriously and trying to wax poetic on themes like love and sex which, lets be honest guys, doesn't exactly suit this band.
I didn't care for most of the lyrics until Vapor Trails came out years later. (And then THAT one took a step back again with the crappy sound and no guitar solos or the bands trademark wry humor)

#87 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridge™

• Members *
  • 9925 posts
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:12 PM

Granted there are some prize stinkers on the list, but no Nobody's Hero?........the sad thing is that the sentiment of the song is worthy, even noble, but "written" in such a ham handed, clumsy and emotionally inarticulate way to practically induce vomiting.

On the very rare occasion I hear it, I swear I can feel my buttocks clench with embarrassment.

#88 jnoble

jnoble

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1112 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:51 PM

He's right. I liked Nobody's Hero when it first came out. But all these years later it hasn't aged well along with some of the other songs on those 90s albums

#89 jnoble

jnoble

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1112 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:55 PM

I don't get the hatred for Dog Years. Granted its not a great song but since it was written and intended in a light hearted goofy manner, why some of you take it so seriously goes over my head

#90 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 31029 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:10 PM

View Postjnoble, on 14 January 2018 - 05:55 PM, said:

I don't get the hatred for Dog Years. Granted its not a great song but since it was written and intended in a light hearted goofy manner, why some of you take it so seriously goes over my head

Nah, nobody takes it seriously. Everybody knows it’s supposed to be lighthearted and goofy.

I think Jack Black is forgettable despite knowing 100% what he’s trying to do with his sense of whimsy.

Yes, I just compared Dog Years to Jack Black. ;)

#91 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 55511 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:01 PM

View PostFridge, on 14 January 2018 - 05:12 PM, said:

Granted there are some prize stinkers on the list, but no Nobody's Hero?........the sad thing is that the sentiment of the song is worthy, even noble, but "written" in such a ham handed, clumsy and emotionally inarticulate way to practically induce vomiting.

On the very rare occasion I hear it, I swear I can feel my buttocks clench with embarrassment.
I think the chorus is solid, but agree the verses are every bit as clumsy as you say.

#92 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 31029 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:15 PM

View Postgoose, on 14 January 2018 - 09:01 PM, said:

View PostFridge, on 14 January 2018 - 05:12 PM, said:

I think the chorus is solid, but agree the verses are every bit as clumsy as you say.

Nobody’s Hero is my third worst song off Counterparts. BUT even the second worst tune isn’t THAT bad. They’re both just floating in that “Meh...but it doesn’t totally suck” region. :P

#93 theredtamasrule

theredtamasrule

The Elitist Booby Type

• Members
  • 8956 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:44 PM

View Postjnoble, on 14 January 2018 - 05:04 PM, said:

Neil suddenly taking himself too seriously and trying to wax poetic on themes like love and sex which, lets be honest guys, doesn't exactly suit this band.

You got that right!

#94 Wil1972

Wil1972

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1623 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:24 PM

I rank Nobody's Hero low too. It has potential but those clunky lyrics... However I do love CP, in spite of NH and Speed of Love.

#95 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 31029 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:26 PM

View PostWil1972, on 15 January 2018 - 06:24 PM, said:

I rank Nobody's Hero low too. It has potential but those clunky lyrics... However I do love CP, in spite of NH and Speed of Love.

Speed of Love needs my hands gripping it firmly around its neck.

#96 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 55511 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:44 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 15 January 2018 - 06:26 PM, said:

Generally, I don't care for how Ged songs the word "love".  As in "looking for loooove", or"speeed of loooove".

#97 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 71621 posts
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:34 PM

View Postgoose, on 15 January 2018 - 10:44 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 15 January 2018 - 06:26 PM, said:

Generally, I don't care for how Ged songs the word "love".  As in "looking for loooove", or"speeed of loooove".
You need to listen to  "Need Some Love" from the debut.   It's even worse there.

#98 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 31065 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:37 AM

View PostCyclonus X-1, on 06 January 2018 - 04:11 PM, said:

I think Red Lenses is the worst in this group, but there are quite a few other Rush songs that I like less than that one.

I could cry red tears of blood that flow like a waterfall from my mud shot eyes.

Really?

Perhaps being a drummer since the 6th grade has tainted my so called intellectual brain.

I remember being GUP on cassette on release day at Record Factory.

I was like fuckking Elliot in ET racing home on my bike as fast as I could to hear it.

I remember hating Signals when it first came out on new release day.

So I was soooooo excited to hear the next Rush record.

I listened to the album all the way through and I fuckking fell in love after one listen.

"RED LENSES" blew my MIND!

Perhaps I am wired differently?  I zone into the music of RUSH, my brain sadly tends to tune out the lyrics.

Not sure if this is why you HATE "Red Lenses."  It's a masterpiece.  One of my all time favorites.  "The Soviets are the blues."

Love it.

The drumming so fuckking hard and fun to play too.  It really makes me mad that they faded the song out the end when Neil goes fuckiing nuts.

LOVE LOVE IT!

I was 16 when I saw the GUP Tour.

I was smashed into the barrier under Geddy after many of us Rush Hooligans well "BUM RUSHED THE STAGE!"  LOL!

Ged was staring down at me with a nervous face.  I seriously thought they were going to stop the show.

It was fuckking incredible.

I was able to see the YYZ NEIL PEART SOLO RED LENSES sequence with my very own 16 year young eyes!  I had "TEARS" in my eyes!!

BLEW MY FUCKKING MIND!

I saw the VAN HALEN 1984 that same year!  Same venue COW PALACE!!!  MIND BLOWN!

No wonder everyone thinks I'm on drugs and booze!!!  I'm high as a fuckking kite right now!  ROCK AND ROLL BABY!  MY DRUG OF CHOICE!!!!

Cranking "ELECTRIC" by THE CULT!  

CAPS ON BABY!

SUE ME!

#99 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 31029 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:58 AM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 16 January 2018 - 12:37 AM, said:

I think Red Lenses is the worst in this group, but there are quite a few other Rush songs that I like less than that one.

I could cry red tears of blood that flow like a waterfall from my mud shot eyes.

Really?

Perhaps being a drummer since the 6th grade has tainted my so called intellectual brain.

I was like fuckking Elliot in ET racing home on my bike as fast as I could to hear it.

I listened to the album all the way through and I fuckking fell in love after one listen.

Perhaps I am wired differently?  I zone into the music of RUSH, my brain sadly tends to tune out the lyrics.

Not sure if this is why you HATE "Red Lenses."  It's a masterpiece.  One of my all time favorites.  "The Soviets are the blues."

Love it.

The drumming so fuckking hard and fun to play too.  It really makes me mad that they faded the song out the end when Neil goes fuckiing nuts.

LOVE LOVE IT!

I was smashed into the barrier under Geddy after many of us Rush Hooligans well "BUM RUSHED THE STAGE!"  LOL!

Ged was staring down at me with a nervous face.  I seriously thought they were going to stop the show.

I was able to see the YYZ NEIL PEART SOLO RED LENSES sequence with my very own 16 year young eyes!  I had "TEARS" in my eyes!!

BLEW MY FUCKKING MIND!

No wonder everyone thinks I'm on drugs and booze!!!  I'm high as a fuckking kite right now!  ROCK AND ROLL BABY!  MY DRUG OF CHOICE!!!!

CAPS ON BABY!

SUE ME!

You’re not on drugs. Drugs are on you.

#100 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 31065 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:08 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 16 January 2018 - 12:58 AM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 16 January 2018 - 12:37 AM, said:

Really?

Love it.

LOVE LOVE IT!

BLEW MY FUCKKING MIND!

CAPS ON BABY!

SUE ME!

You’re not on drugs. Drugs are on you.

How can drugs be on me Johnny?

I'm sitting here naked.

Cranking some 1987 Live WHITESNAKE!

Signed,

SLIDE IT IN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users