#41 Mr. JD

Mr. JD

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1926 posts
  • Interests:Professional Photographer

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:25 PM

View Postthizzellewashington, on 17 January 2018 - 03:03 AM, said:

I bought Vapor Trails when it came out and really liked it, and then started working my way through the rest of the catalogue.

What a thrill that must have been!

Sponsored Post

#42 itsbry

itsbry

The Seeker

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 01:46 PM

Those first few chords in Big Money from A Show of Hands... first tape I ever bought.

#43 dtpoet

dtpoet

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1004 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 06:58 PM

Fall of 8th grade (1981?).  Sitting at my friends table & eating a bowl of cereal (probably hung over - oh 8th grade - sigh) and Tom Sawyer came on MTV.  It got my attention right away.

Over the next few years, I found friends who shared the same enthusiasm and respect for the musicianship.  Besides, I had a high voice and took pride in being able to imitate Ged.  It was during this late 8th - 10th grade, bring apart of our band, that my education of the band exploded.

#44 On TheRoad To Adventure

On TheRoad To Adventure

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:17 PM

It was 1995.  My husband was quoting lyrics about peer pressure to his teenaged son, mostly Subdivisions and Kid Gloves.  I liked the poetry.  He was surprised that I, a Canadian, was unfamiliar with Rush.  We had just purchased a CD player (!!) and he suggested I buy Exit Stage Left and Grace Under Pressure.  I was immediately hooked.  I loved Geddy's voice, all the instruments, and Neil's lyrics.  I didn't really like TFE, and we lived too far away from any to go see them anyhow.  Then the hiatus happened, and I didn't think I would ever see them play Live.  We missed Vapor Trails too, but when Snakes and Arrows came out, I saw them for the first time, and that's when I became a true fan.  (or fanatic)  Now we own all the music and all the later DVD's.  I listen to Rush all the time.

#45 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

Loves that dirty water

• Members *
  • 23412 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:13 PM

For me it was 1980.  When the needle dropped on Spirit at my friend’s house.

#46 lerxt1990

lerxt1990

Minister of Silly Walks

• Members *
  • 62226 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:04 PM

View Postmaplelevy, on 05 January 2018 - 11:33 PM, said:

What was the moment or moments that, when listening to a Rush song or album, you were either struck by a metaphorical bolt of lightening or had an indescribable warm feeling come over you and knew that the band would forever hold a special place in your heart?

Personally, I had a false alarm, although I'm sure it planted a seed, which finally bloomed four decades later. In the summer of 1980,  before my senior year in high school, I heard "Spirit of Radio" on the radio in front of my best friend's house. I still recall listening and thinking, how does that guy (Alex) play the guitar that frenetically? (probably didn't know the word frenetically at that time)

As the years went by, I lost touch after Signals. In fact, I gave up tickets to the 1982 Signals tour because I had a college exam the next day. After getting married and raising four kids, I didn't re-engage until hearing "Time Stand Still" on I-Heart radio in 2011? (Not the moment)

So, I decided that I was going to R40, to make up for the missed show in 1982. Went with my No. 3 son in Bristow, Va. and had a memorable evening. (Not the moment). I had done my research, listened to some of the classics (Xanadu, 2112, e.g.) to really enjoy the show.

But, the moment occurred the next day when I was doing yardwork. Decided to listen to the Roll The Bones album with headphones. Had heard Dreamline (which I liked), but the next song just stopped me in my tracks. I had to play it over again, go through the lyrics, etc. I couldn't believe that this was Rush. Of course, the song was Bravado! (That was the moment!!!). That song was the impetus for my to get into the entire Rush catalog, which I have immersed myself into for the past year and a half. The diversity of styles of their music, their individual and combined playing and writing accumen and their humble nature have made these 18 months so personally uplifting.  

So, what's your Rush a-ha moment???

Awesome.  Mine was Subdivisions.  Not only bc I liked it (I liked earlier stuff) but bc I related to it so much.

#47 pxr5

pxr5

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:34 AM

First hearing Bastille Day on Caress of Steel that my friend had brought around to my house (must have been 1979). He also brought Hemispheres and left the 2 albums with me. My old record player was pants and as soon as he'd left I dumped both albums in to my, then small, pile of LPs. It was only a few weeks later when he asked what I thought of 'Rush' and I realised I hadn't played them since. I got home a put CoS onto my old man's Bang and Olufsen record player. Wow - that was it. I played both albums as much as I could before handing them back and immediately went out and bought AFTK. The rest is, of course, history. I saw them play first on the PeW tour at the Manchester Apollo. Unfortunatley Rush then began get 'poppy'. I just about tolerated PoW, but I didn't even get through Force Ten on HYF when it came out. That's when my hiatus started and I moved on to other things. It wasn't until I accidently heard S&A in 2007 that my interest returned. I still don't like that period from GuP to RtB, but I do listen to those albums sometimes (the start of Force Ten still makes me shudder though, and not in a nice way).

#48 Red3angel

Red3angel

The Seeker

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:60s Bond. Art . Sade . Robert plant . The police

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:14 PM

I paid real attention to them when my friend told me about what happened to Neil😪 that led me to borrow ca from library. Then I read more about Neil being a lyricist which  I never knew. rented more albums.really started paying attention to each members talent. Now obsessed  with them . I’m late to the party. 😎

#49 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 6852 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:30 PM

View PostLucas, on 06 January 2018 - 02:59 PM, said:

As a kid, I would look forward to Friday and Saturday nights when The Midnight Special and Don Kirschner's Rock Concert would run on TV at the ungodly hours of 1 or 2am ..

One particular night in 1977 began in typical fashion - waiting for a hush to fall on the house, and making certain everyone was asleep, I would sneak into the family room and get ready ..

My first experience was the A Farewell To Kings video .. First off, my Dad played classical guitar, and we had musical instruments of all kinds in the house - so when A Farewell To Kings came on, I was immediately struck because here was the super cool looking rock guy with long hair playing classical guitar .. And there were the shots of Neil playing the glockenspiel or xylophone - and we had a full sized xylophone at the house - all this was fascinating for me. and as a10 year old who not only admired rock stars but also my Dad, this seemed like a big time bond ..

When the band kicked in - there were shots of explosions on the stage, and as a mega Kiss fan, I loved that ..

Geddy's unreal voice just capped everything ... I loved them right off the bat ..

My enthusiasm carried over to the next day, when unable to contain my exuberance for what I had seen the night before, I told my Dad of this incredible band - and the classical guitars and xylophones and explosions and long hair ..  

The musician in my Dad listened with curiosity and interest - but the dad in my Dad was like "What the hell were you doing awake that late ?!?"

:lol:

Lucas, you made me laugh; I used to do the exact same thing. :lol: :lol: Long live those nights in front of the brown box (with the pliers attached to change channels!)

#50 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 31978 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:32 PM

Hearing "Signals" for the first time on it's initial release date.

#51 Ultimate Rush Tribute

Ultimate Rush Tribute

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Rush, Redskins, Golf, Boating, Family, Keg Parties and Crypto-currency.

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:01 PM

I was a sophomore in high school in 1980 and was at a sleep over with a couple of my band mates and this live video of La Villa came on and it was like a punch in the face.Went out and bought Hemispheres and never looked back.  Amazing!

https://www.youtube....h?v=eK1hmDpa8bo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users