Your Rush a-ha moment?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21906 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:17 AM

First time I heard Xanadu over my bands PA back in 1977. I knew I was a goner from that point on.

Sponsored Post

#22 MusicHead

MusicHead

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1272 posts
  • Interests:God, writing, family, football, Dean Koontz, music, all things Spidey and Marvel.

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:56 AM

You asked for it...  

https://www.youtube....h?v=djV11Xbc914

#23 Mr. JD

Mr. JD

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1958 posts
  • Interests:Professional Photographer

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:58 PM

For me, it was the first time I heard them In 1974 on WMMS out of Cleveland. It gelled for me the first time I saw them live in December of the same year. Been my favorite band ever since.

#24 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5380 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 01:06 PM

Rush and a-ha have never collaborated nor toured together. :16ton:

For me, there wasn't 1. I just liked them from the first time I heard them. Then again, I didn't make my life fit their songs so they didn't "write the soundtrack to my life". That's like diagnosing yourself after reading a medical dictionary.

#25 apetersvt

apetersvt

The Professor

• Members
  • 3485 posts
  • Interests:wine (good beer and cheap liquor actually), women, and song

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:19 AM

View PostGeminiRising79, on 06 January 2018 - 10:46 PM, said:

Instantly for me, with Atwas, my first intro into Rush.

Same for me.  Had never heard Rush before.  Was about 13 and heard ATWAS on a Walkman while in a tent on a Boy Scout camping trip.

#26 Relayer2112

Relayer2112

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:38 PM

My brother had been playing their stuff for years back in the early 80's, mostly Moving Pictures and I liked it, but it wasn't until I heard Xanadu for the first time that I was hooked.  That intro gave (and still gives) me instant goosebumps.  It's just so damn atmospheric and I would guess that I have Terry Brown to thank for it as much as the band.

#27 Blue Barchetta

Blue Barchetta

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 625 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, sports, and Rock n' Roll

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:09 PM

View PostMusicHead, on 07 January 2018 - 07:56 AM, said:

Believe it or not, I actually sat and watched that whole video.

#28 Mosher

Mosher

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:Geography, music, basketball, philosophy, fantasy, writing, world-building

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:27 PM

I had no singular a-ha moment, but I had a collective one.

Over the years of my early adolescence I would of course listen to the radio. And there were songs I always loved.

Closer to the Heart, Fly By Night, New World Man, Tom Sawyer, Spirit, Limelight, Freewill, The Trees, Subdivisions, etc. etc.

The in an advertisement for a concert in Omaha I heard all of these songs in the promo and realized that all of these songs I heard sporadically, but loved, were the SAME BAND.

That was the moment, and from that point on I always paid close attention and once I actually had my own income I bought everything.

#29 vital signz

vital signz

Médico en La Villa

• Members *
  • 5382 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:59 PM

When I heard 2112 the first time......My high school band learned the song and played it for our yearly talent show, and we won the show.  What a great time that was.  1980.  What a great year.

#30 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 20391 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:58 PM

I've told this story before, so here's the abbreviated version. The first time I heard Rush I didn't like 'em. It was late summer of '76 and I was 11 years old. One of my brother's friends was playing 2112 in his car (on 8 track, of course) and it didn't do a thing for me. Fast forward about a year and I heard ByTor and the Snowdog playing on the home stereo as I was walking down the sidewalk and I was mesmerized. I came in and sat down with the lyric sheet and became an instant fan.

#31 LedRush

LedRush

The Counterparts Remain The Same

• Members *
  • 25765 posts
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:59 PM

Great thread topic.  

I’ve also told my story...I was introduced through Roll the Bones, Exit Left, and Chronicles, and liked all but the second disc of Chronicles (after Subdivisions).  I didn’t move beyond this for 3 years or so.  A friend knew I liked some Rush and talked about how 2112 was transformative for him...I listened and loved the full version of 2112, but didn’t do buy anything else.  That summer (6 months later) I went to a used CD place and was able to get Rush, FBN, CoS, AFTK, Hemishperes, PeW, and MP (I already had 2112) for about $20 total, so I did.  I fell in love with CoS and Hemispheres especially.  It took another few years before I fell for the rest of the catalog, but it was inevitable at that point.

#32 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 881 posts
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:11 AM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 06 January 2018 - 04:49 PM, said:

View Postgrasbo, on 06 January 2018 - 03:39 PM, said:

First had Hemispheres,then Moving Pics,Signals but perhaps when HIP came out I went bang ! this band is going somewhere.

HIP?
Blast it.It  was supposed to be GUP  (Grace Under Pressure).

#33 librarian

librarian

Aquarian Librarian

• Members
  • 5911 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:59 PM

Seeing :rush: my first time and experiencing the band and the crowd bounce off each other as they performed
natural science live and I said to myself at that point - I will love this band until the day I die.

#34 rftag

rftag

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, travel, science, philosophy, wildlife, skepticism, belief systems, consciousness

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:40 PM

My Rush "a-ha" moment was actually somewhat similar to yours. I've recounted this story on here before at least twice.

It was in the summer of 1980, and I had at that point never heard of Rush.

I went into a Carvel ice cream shop in Staten Island, New York and while waiting on line The Spirit Of Radio came on.

I loved it immediately (got goose pimples), but had no idea who the band was or what the name of the song was.

As much as I loved it I remember thinking at the time that it would be better with a male singer (yes, I thought it was a woman singing).

Over the next two years or so I became familiar with Rush, but only by way of teens wearing Rush concert shirts or having Rush album covers painted on the back of their denim jackets as was all the rage back then.

Usually it would be  what I would today recognize as 2112, but at the time I took it to be a satanic pentagram. I figured this "Rush" band must be a pretty intense heavy metal group.

This presumption was reinforced by the fact that the teens who sported these Rush shirts and jackets were typically of the long haired, leather jacket, weed smoking variety who would be just as likely to be sporting shirts or jackets with Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, or Black Sabbath images as Rush images.

So I assumed this band "Rush" must be a pretty intense metal band.

The next time I heard it was while driving with an older cousin and it came in the radio and I was like "Who is she?" and my cousin was like "That's not a woman, that's Rush you idiot!"

Then Moving Pictures came out and by that time I was listening to FM album oriented rock radio (the two best at the time in the NYC metro area at the time were WNEW and WPLJ) and whenever Rush came on it was a thrill (the Rush songs played were generally limited to Closer To The Heart, TSOR, Free Will, Limelight, and Tom Sawyer).

Then one day on the school bus some kids were playing ATWAS and I heard songs from 2112 and FBN and the debut album for the first time and was blown away. At the t and started buying all of their albums and listening to them all the time.

I was hooked.

#35 GeminiRising79

GeminiRising79

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2713 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:32 PM

View Postapetersvt, on 08 January 2018 - 09:19 AM, said:

View PostGeminiRising79, on 06 January 2018 - 10:46 PM, said:

Instantly for me, with Atwas, my first intro into Rush.

Same for me.  Had never heard Rush before.  Was about 13 and heard ATWAS on a Walkman while in a tent on a Boy Scout camping trip.

Very cool!

I hung out with the freaks in HS, listened to Nugent, Hendrix, FMac, etc. When I abruptly broke away from this crowd I distinctly remember when a football-team jock(of all people!) recommended Atwas to me as we were standing in front of the auto shop door.  I soon went out and bought the Atwas 8-track  -and that was it!!  It was so refreshing to listen to, comparatively, and felt like I had finally found "my" band.

#36 Rutlefan

Rutlefan

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 2092 posts
  • Interests:Things that roll and fly, Tolkien, baseball (depressingly fatalistic Tribe fan), classic sci-fi, history and such

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:53 PM

It was my first Rush exposure to Rush in '76 with ATWAS; along with The Song Remains the Same, it dominated my listening for a year (it took me forever to warm up to the first four LPs as I thought the definitive versions of those songs are the ATWAS version, and if it wasn't on ATWAS, it was second tier. I got over that eventually). Of all the cool moments, I think it was In The End more than anything. "One, two, buckle-my-shoe" ... And then came Xanadu the next year, and Hemi the year after. Those were very good years.

Edited by Rutlefan, 12 January 2018 - 04:55 PM.

#37 Jaminbenb

Jaminbenb

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2907 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:23 PM

I've said it before...but a friend years back got ATWAS when it came out, and about a week or two later, I was at his house and he said "Hey...you're a drummer, right?  I saw this band a few months back and they released a live album.... you have to hear this drum solo"!  So he played Working Man through the end, and I was AMAZED!  So I had my mother order it from Columbia House the next day (along with Caress of Steel, which was the only other album they had listed)  and became an instant fan!

#38 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9682 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:55 PM

Big money to take on me on one tripping day on mtv...

#39 Crimsonmistymemory

Crimsonmistymemory

Testing the Fences

• Members *
  • 17959 posts
  • Interests:Just an interested cat,
    Living in a,
    Dog eat Dog World

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:08 PM

Well besides seeing them perform live the very 1st time in 1980, I would say my AhHa moment (although I have to admit this still happens sometimes :D ) was during Natural Science. PeW was the 1st album I had go out and buy (when it was released). After getting through the last track I was completely blown away! The promenent thought was " Holy $#!T that song was f**kin AWESOME! It was a song that connected with me instantaneously , me being a science nut and all. The next (& very real revelation) was I had never heard that song played on the radio. I lived outside of Philly and if it did get played it was only when the local rock station(s) would play the entire album. Believe me Philly is a very, very :rush: friendly city. So my thought was "If this kind of music is on one of their albums and rarely gets recognized, what is "Lerxting" on all the other albums? The quest had begun as I started collecting and digesting every album :rush: had released up until that point. As I mentioned before in this post and on this forum Philly was the 1st :rush: show I had ever attended in 1980 and that experience forever forged :rush: as my favorite band of all times!
Long live :rush: !!!

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory, 15 January 2018 - 06:11 PM.

#40 thizzellewashington

thizzellewashington

The Seeker

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:03 AM

When I was a kid I listened to classic-rock radio all the time and I'm sure I'd heard the hits over the years but they never registered. But one day the DJ said they were going to play the new single from Rush, "One Little Victory." This was around the time I had started playing drums and knew Neil's name and that he was considered one of the greats, but hearing that blistering drum intro for the first time, man...

I bought Vapor Trails when it came out and really liked it, and then started working my way through the rest of the catalogue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users