So Mike Portnoy doesn't like any Rush after Moving Pictures?

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#41 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 73545 posts
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 01 January 2018 - 01:29 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 01 January 2018 - 01:25 PM, said:

Portnoy loves the most heavy metal era of RUSH like me 1974-1981. At last Portnoy does something right! :haz: :goodone:
I'd be willing to bet that that's Gruden's favorite era of Rush too.

Sponsored Post

#42 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 87418 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 01:30 PM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 01 January 2018 - 01:29 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 01 January 2018 - 01:25 PM, said:

Portnoy loves the most heavy metal era of RUSH like me 1974-1981. At last Portnoy does something right! :haz: :goodone:
I'd be willing to bet that that's Gruden's favorite era of Rush too.
Aye!

#43 New_World_Man

New_World_Man

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1003 posts
  • Interests:Music, internet, reading, outdoors, movies, etc.

Posted 01 January 2018 - 01:32 PM

View PostRushFanForever, on 01 January 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

Mike Portnoy and Eddie Trunk are the same. They don't like anything musically the band has done past the early 80's.

I didn't know this but I'm not surprised. I don't see Trunk being much into prog but being that for the most part their earlier heavy stuff and prog stuff seemed to go hand in hand. However, it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense when you think that starting around the time of Counterparts Rush started to get heavy again and most of the later stuff has continued in that vein(more or less).

#44 New_World_Man

New_World_Man

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1003 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 01:35 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 01 January 2018 - 12:06 PM, said:

HYF is my Fav Rush album.  And i think AFTK is vastly over praised.

Rush 1980-89 is my fav period.  so there it is, lol

Mick

well, I think it's safe to say you are probably in the minority but that's cool. I think in some ways it's the most interesting era of the band. They moved away from the heaviness to focus on other sounds and textures. To me that's what makes this band so special. They didn't stay in one spot for so long. I think lyrically that period is very strong too with some of Neil's best lyrics.

#45 BowlCity

BowlCity

Cutler's Like a Knife (but it feels so right)

• Members *
  • 10519 posts
  • Interests:Video games, computer programming, guitar, Da Bears and Cubs

Posted 01 January 2018 - 01:55 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 01 January 2018 - 12:12 PM, said:

View PostTransverse Leaf Spring, on 01 January 2018 - 12:10 PM, said:

View Postbluefox4000, on 01 January 2018 - 12:06 PM, said:

HYF is my Fav Rush album.  And i think AFTK is vastly over praised.

Rush 1980-89 is my fav period.  so there it is, lol

Mick
A period of change no doubt, fresh change and too many great songs to dismiss.

and i'm sorry but the live shows got better too.

Mick

The live shows DEFINITELY got better as they got older. There came a point (probably around Time Machine) where Geddy's voice started really deteriorating live, but up until then, while the albums always polarized fans, the live shows got better and better, probably peaking around Vapor Trails or R30 IMO.

#46 BenjaminW

BenjaminW

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Playing and listening to music, reading about history, and having a good time talking with other Rush fans.

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:07 PM

Mike Portnoy is definitely one of my favorite drummers out there, but if you want to know how he feels about Rush, you could always just meet him and ask him about it.

#47 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 26655 posts
  • Interests:American Muscle/Sports cars, Movies, New York City Subway, Cigar Lounges

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:13 PM

View PostBenjaminW, on 01 January 2018 - 02:07 PM, said:

Mike Portnoy is definitely one of my favorite drummers out there, but if you want to know how he feels about Rush, you could always just meet him and ask him about it.
He doesn’t run away from fans?

#48 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10510 posts
  • Interests:Music, movies, my family....my goofy Shih Tzu.

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:18 PM

Ironically I don’t much like them prior to AFTK myself.  A hat for every head I guess.  I was a late bloomer to Rush so I didn’t hang out in a friend’s room getting stoned to 2112, so I missed that formative experience that so many had.  I much prefer 80s to 70s Rush.

#49 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 17304 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:18 PM

View PostTransverse Leaf Spring, on 01 January 2018 - 02:13 PM, said:

if your wearing Post Portnoy DT shirt he'll unleash a mighty bitch fit on you.

Mick

#50 HemispheresserehpsimeH

HemispheresserehpsimeH

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 891 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:22 PM

There's a reason people still talk about Rush's epics, while Portnoy continues to try to pump out the same fluff over and over. He's entitled to his opinion to be sure, but I'd much rather play HYF to a group of people over whatever the hell epic masturbation Transatlantic has tried to accomplish over the years. Or Adrenaline Mob's crap. Or whatever nu-metal inspired epic fluff he's in these days. What is it now? Sons of Apollo? Good lord. More uninspired junk to try to recapture that epic metal feeling. Rush moved on. It's not always a great result, but I'm still beyond glad they didn't become try hards. They just had fun.

Oh, and Eddie Trunk is a moron. He's another relic.

#51 GrandDesigner

GrandDesigner

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1114 posts
  • Interests:Crime, Physics, Cosmology

Posted 01 January 2018 - 04:09 PM

I mean to be fair, they came up with their first band name Majesty while waiting in line to buy tickets for the PoW tour so I’m sure that he remained a fan throughout the years but wasn’t necessarily influenced by them past MP. It’s the same with me and Metallica. I haven’t been musically influenced by them since the Black Album, but I still like a lot of their music that came after.

Plus, he was asked to do the liner notes for VT I believe so there’s that. Portnoy is a lot of things, but he’s definitely not a music/prog snob.

#52 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 11925 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 04:28 PM

I've tried many a time to warm up to Dream Theater, and while it hasn't happened yet, I have the same feelings as Portnoy and agree with him ..

.. and calling Portnoy a prog snob is pretty ridiculous considering he played with Twisted Sister and called it an honor

#53 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

Loves that dirty water

• Members *
  • 23821 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 05:04 PM

View Postgoose, on 01 January 2018 - 11:44 AM, said:

View PostBowlCity, on 31 December 2017 - 06:21 PM, said:

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 31 December 2017 - 04:17 PM, said:

View PostFordgalaxy, on 31 December 2017 - 04:03 PM, said:

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 31 December 2017 - 03:58 PM, said:

View PostTransverse Leaf Spring, on 31 December 2017 - 03:39 PM, said:

View Postgrasbo, on 31 December 2017 - 03:34 PM, said:

Would Rush still be around if they made Son of Moving Pictures,Book xxv11,an exercise in extreme indulgence parts 1-xxv111.?
I doubt it. I enjoyed the transition and journey back to basics with Vapor Trails, Snakes and CA.
You'd have to be a real fanboi to stick with the band past p/g at least until the end of career resurgence.

Or maybe just not stuck listening to 1 style of music. I personally much prefer Counterparts or Presto over Snakes & Arrows and most of Clockwork Angels but I'm no fanboy because they (the band) definitely have some clunkers.
Clunkers like Presto,  Counterparts,  T4E, Hold Your Fire,  and Snakes?   No, thanks.

ETA:   nah,  that's too harsh.    Like what you like.    Dislike what you like.   It's all fine.  I agree (mostly) with Portnoy but it's just an opinion.

That's the thing about Rush, they've used so many different styles over the course of their career. They kept it pretty consistent for better or worse from Counterparts onward (straightforward hard rock, but it's definitely Rush in nature) but prior to that they did a lot of different things. I've read from some people here that Hold Your Fire is their favorite album, which is absolutely bonkers to my ears.

Really though, as long as your favorite Rush album isn't Presto, you can't have that much loose wiring in the head.
I'll take Presto over AFTK all day, so there you go.

AFTK gets my vote for most overrated by the fan base.  But Presto is in the middle of the far too long “mediocre or worse” era.

#54 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 73545 posts
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 01 January 2018 - 06:08 PM

View PostRick N. Backer, on 01 January 2018 - 05:04 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 01 January 2018 - 11:44 AM, said:

View PostBowlCity, on 31 December 2017 - 06:21 PM, said:

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 31 December 2017 - 04:17 PM, said:

View PostFordgalaxy, on 31 December 2017 - 04:03 PM, said:

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 31 December 2017 - 03:58 PM, said:

View PostTransverse Leaf Spring, on 31 December 2017 - 03:39 PM, said:

View Postgrasbo, on 31 December 2017 - 03:34 PM, said:

Would Rush still be around if they made Son of Moving Pictures,Book xxv11,an exercise in extreme indulgence parts 1-xxv111.?
I doubt it. I enjoyed the transition and journey back to basics with Vapor Trails, Snakes and CA.
You'd have to be a real fanboi to stick with the band past p/g at least until the end of career resurgence.

Or maybe just not stuck listening to 1 style of music. I personally much prefer Counterparts or Presto over Snakes & Arrows and most of Clockwork Angels but I'm no fanboy because they (the band) definitely have some clunkers.
Clunkers like Presto,  Counterparts,  T4E, Hold Your Fire,  and Snakes?   No, thanks.

ETA:   nah,  that's too harsh. Like what you like. Dislike what you like.   It's all fine.  I agree (mostly) with Portnoy but it's just an opinion.

That's the thing about Rush, they've used so many different styles over the course of their career. They kept it pretty consistent for better or worse from Counterparts onward (straightforward hard rock, but it's definitely Rush in nature) but prior to that they did a lot of different things. I've read from some people here that Hold Your Fire is their favorite album, which is absolutely bonkers to my ears.

Really though, as long as your favorite Rush album isn't Presto, you can't have that much loose wiring in the head.
I'll take Presto over AFTK all day, so there you go.

AFTK gets my vote for most overrated by the fan base.  But Presto is in the middle of the far too long “mediocre or worse” era.
Even the Georgia defense in the first 18 minutes of the Rose Bowl is better than Presto.

#55 Wil1972

Wil1972

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1808 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 06:11 PM

View PostReRushed, on 01 January 2018 - 01:20 PM, said:

I think Power Windows and Hold Your Fire are among the very best albums Rush has produced. Everything thing post-Hold Your Fire is either okay or good with a fair share of mediocre or bad songs. Some good editing and trimming of the fat would have benefited those albums. All of 'em are way to long.

A topic I've discussed with my wife before. Post PoW albums could stand some trimming for the most part. Might be worth someone starting a new thread about: what if the albums HYF - CA had been confined to the time considerations of vinyl? Where to trim?...

#56 New_World_Man

New_World_Man

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1003 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 07:48 PM

View PostLucas, on 01 January 2018 - 04:28 PM, said:

I've tried many a time to warm up to Dream Theater, and while it hasn't happened yet, I have the same feelings as Portnoy and agree with him ..

.. and calling Portnoy a prog snob is pretty ridiculous considering he played with Twisted Sister and called it an honor

Playing on one 80's hair metal song doesn't change anything.

#57 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

• Members
  • 17304 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 07:55 PM

I couldn't care. snob or not.  he's still a blow hard.

he's his greatest fan, lol  oh his drumming is beyond stale.  i can hear him on a completely new song and i can tell you what fill he'll use and where.  it's not really style at this point.  he just has 1 bag of fills he will use at any given moment.

he's lost any fire he might have had.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000, 01 January 2018 - 07:55 PM.

#58 BenjaminW

BenjaminW

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Playing and listening to music, reading about history, and having a good time talking with other Rush fans.

Posted 01 January 2018 - 07:58 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 01 January 2018 - 02:18 PM, said:

Mick
Crap, I gotta do something about my Images, Words & Beyond shirt.

#59 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

• Members
  • 17304 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:01 PM

View PostBenjaminW, on 01 January 2018 - 07:58 PM, said:

View Postbluefox4000, on 01 January 2018 - 02:18 PM, said:

Mick
Crap, I gotta do something about my Images, Words & Beyond shirt.

i got it....Get it signed by Mike Mangini.  then Mail it to Portnoy.....then sit back for the fun, lol

Mick

#60 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 11925 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:07 PM

View PostNew_World_Man, on 01 January 2018 - 07:48 PM, said:

View PostLucas, on 01 January 2018 - 04:28 PM, said:

Playing on one 80's hair metal song doesn't change anything.

He did an entire tour with them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users