So Mike Portnoy doesn't like any Rush after Moving Pictures?

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#1 New_World_Man

New_World_Man

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 978 posts
  • Interests:Music, internet, reading, outdoors, movies, etc.

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:11 PM

I was thinking about this for some reason. In the Beyond the Lighted Stage dvd Mike Portnoy(who is probably most famous as the former drummer for Dream Theater of course)says that they lost him when they started doing shorter songs. He didn't specify what album that happened on or which one "lost him" but can we rightfully assume he doesn't like Signals? Also, did he become a fan again later on or is he just a prog snob? I know some of his own stuff involves shorter songs(Flying Colors for example)so he seems to be a bit of a hypocrite imo.

I know this topic involves someone other than Rush so if the mods want to move this post I'm ok with that.

Sponsored Post

#2 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 16645 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:33 PM

Portnoy's a dipstick.  Talented but a dipstick

Mick

#3 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 849 posts
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:34 PM

I think in general he means when he was growing up that they lost him with the change of direction as it did for Tom Commerford,Les Claypool and many others.Suddenly they were looking and sounding like the Police,Ultravox,etc which wasn't very metal/prog.I started with Hemispheres back in the day and when it came to GUP and Power Windows i was sold completely but many weren't.My mates liked the early stuff but the later stuff ,nah.As we get older our tastes change unless your into AC/DC and can't see past Bon Scott as per one of my mates and as a musician you gotta try something new.Would Rush still be around if they made Son of Moving Pictures,Book xxv11,an exercise in extreme indulgence parts 1-xxv111.?I think Portney is ok with what he is doing and thinking

#4 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 25749 posts
  • Interests:American Muscle/Sports cars, Movies, New York City Subway, Cigar Lounges

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:36 PM

Mike Portnoy’s opinion as you expressed above sounds like some other Rush “fans” I know.

Did he “comeback” into the fold with Vapor Trails?

#5 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 25749 posts
  • Interests:American Muscle/Sports cars, Movies, New York City Subway, Cigar Lounges

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:39 PM

View Postgrasbo, on 31 December 2017 - 03:34 PM, said:

Would Rush still be around if they made Son of Moving Pictures,Book xxv11,an exercise in extreme indulgence parts 1-xxv111.?
I doubt it. I enjoyed the transition and journey back to basics with Vapor Trails, Snakes and CA.

#6 taurus

taurus

The Seeker

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:43 PM

I don't know but it sounds like many Rush fans, as the eighties progressed, the ardent fans of "old" Rush increasingly lost interest. Most of my buddies from that time lost interest. Even my personal tastes veered towards heavy metal and Rush became an anomaly. I quietly would hope for a return to the PeW/MP sound with each subsequent 80's and then 90's release and not until CP did I deem them once again a "hard rock" band.

#7 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 72480 posts
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:58 PM

View PostTransverse Leaf Spring, on 31 December 2017 - 03:39 PM, said:

Would Rush still be around if they made Son of Moving Pictures,Book xxv11,an exercise in extreme indulgence parts 1-xxv111.?
I doubt it. I enjoyed the transition and journey back to basics with Vapor Trails, Snakes and CA.
You'd have to be a real fanboi to stick with the band past p/g at least until the end of career resurgence.

#8 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4746 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 04:03 PM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 31 December 2017 - 03:58 PM, said:

You'd have to be a real fanboi to stick with the band past p/g at least until the end of career resurgence.

Or maybe just not stuck listening to 1 style of music. I personally much prefer Counterparts or Presto over Snakes & Arrows and most of Clockwork Angels but I'm no fanboy because they (the band) definitely have some clunkers.

#9 Babycat

Babycat

Party Animal

• Members *
  • 81380 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 04:05 PM

:ph34r:

#10 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 72480 posts
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 31 December 2017 - 04:17 PM

View PostFordgalaxy, on 31 December 2017 - 04:03 PM, said:

Or maybe just not stuck listening to 1 style of music. I personally much prefer Counterparts or Presto over Snakes & Arrows and most of Clockwork Angels but I'm no fanboy because they (the band) definitely have some clunkers.
Clunkers like Presto,  Counterparts,  T4E, Hold Your Fire,  and Snakes?   No, thanks.

ETA:   nah,  that's too harsh.    Like what you like.    Dislike what you like.   It's all fine.  I agree (mostly) with Portnoy but it's just an opinion.

Edited by laughedatbytime, 31 December 2017 - 04:37 PM.

#11 Oracle

Oracle

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2181 posts
  • Interests:Basically anything that can interest me.

Posted 31 December 2017 - 04:32 PM

View PostNew_World_Man, on 31 December 2017 - 03:11 PM, said:

I was thinking about this for some reason. In the Beyond the Lighted Stage dvd Mike Portnoy(who is probably most famous as the former drummer for Dream Theater of course)says that they lost him when they started doing shorter songs. He didn't specify what album that happened on or which one "lost him" but can we rightfully assume he doesn't like Signals? Also, did he become a fan again later on or is he just a prog snob? I know some of his own stuff involves shorter songs(Flying Colors for example)so he seems to be a bit of a hypocrite imo.

I know this topic involves someone other than Rush so if the mods want to move this post I'm ok with that.

He's always come off to me as the elitist type of progressive music fan. Never could get my head around WHY he's like that, he just is. Perhaps he just feels Rush had better output of longer songs than shorter songs, which isn't entirely wrong, but it certainly is very close minded.

#12 New_World_Man

New_World_Man

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 978 posts
  • Interests:Music, internet, reading, outdoors, movies, etc.

Posted 31 December 2017 - 04:56 PM

View PostOracle, on 31 December 2017 - 04:32 PM, said:

He's always come off to me as the elitist type of progressive music fan. Never could get my head around WHY he's like that, he just is. Perhaps he just feels Rush had better output of longer songs than shorter songs, which isn't entirely wrong, but it certainly is very close minded.

He also said something like "nothing but f-ing epics" in regards to Transatlantic who are known for really long pieces of music(the kind that some say killed off prog rock in the first place). Anyway, yeah he does sometimes come across as a prog elitist. I remember when he was on that Metal Show everyone else chose Mercyful Fate as their favorite but he chose King Diamond(or maybe it was the other way around)because they were more complex.

#13 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4746 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 05:03 PM

View PostNew_World_Man, on 31 December 2017 - 04:56 PM, said:

View PostOracle, on 31 December 2017 - 04:32 PM, said:

He also said something like "nothing but f-ing epics" in regards to Transatlantic who are known for really long pieces of music(the kind that some say killed off prog rock in the first place). Anyway, yeah he does sometimes come across as a prog elitist. I remember when he was on that Metal Show everyone else chose Mercyful Fate as their favorite but he chose King Diamond(or maybe it was the other way around)because they were more complex.

He's not known for his humbleness. Him and Trump would get along just great. 2 peas in a pod, as they say.

#14 canadianice

canadianice

The Professor

• Members
  • 3159 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 05:14 PM

Who Cares??????

#15 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 4253 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 31 December 2017 - 05:28 PM

Right or wrong, Rush was not afraid to change with the times. As much as I hate some of the results of these changes, I admire the f**k out of it. You quickly become a stale dinosaur by not developing in new directions. As awesome as Hemispheres and MP was, it would be boring as F to hear the same sound on subsequent records.

Did Portnoy want them to become the Ted Nugent of prog?

This is something an unimaginative meathead like Portnoy can't comprehend because his head is stuck at being a pretentious bore.

#16 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4075 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 06:03 PM

Not exactly breaking news and it seems like many people here and elsewhere have the same opinion anyway.

#17 BowlCity

BowlCity

Cutler's Like a Knife (but it feels so right)

• Members *
  • 10519 posts
  • Interests:Video games, computer programming, guitar, Da Bears and Cubs

Posted 31 December 2017 - 06:21 PM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 31 December 2017 - 04:17 PM, said:

Clunkers like Presto,  Counterparts,  T4E, Hold Your Fire,  and Snakes?   No, thanks.

ETA:   nah,  that's too harsh. Like what you like. Dislike what you like.   It's all fine.  I agree (mostly) with Portnoy but it's just an opinion.

That's the thing about Rush, they've used so many different styles over the course of their career. They kept it pretty consistent for better or worse from Counterparts onward (straightforward hard rock, but it's definitely Rush in nature) but prior to that they did a lot of different things. I've read from some people here that Hold Your Fire is their favorite album, which is absolutely bonkers to my ears.

Really though, as long as your favorite Rush album isn't Presto, you can't have that much loose wiring in the head.

#18 BowlCity

BowlCity

• Members *
  • 10519 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 06:23 PM

I did read somewhere from Portnoy (maybe somewhere on his forums) that while he didn't pay much attention to Rush post-Signals, he enjoyed Counterparts and Vapor Trails. No idea what his thoughts were on Clockwork Angels, which is IMO a Rush classic.

#19 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 25749 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 06:27 PM

View PostBowlCity, on 31 December 2017 - 06:21 PM, said:

ETA:   nah,  that's too harsh.    Like what you like.    Dislike what you like.   It's all fine.  I agree (mostly) with Portnoy but it's just an opinion.

That's the thing about Rush, they've used so many different styles over the course of their career. They kept it pretty consistent for better or worse from Counterparts onward (straightforward hard rock, but it's definitely Rush in nature) but prior to that they did a lot of different things. I've read from some people here that Hold Your Fire is their favorite album, which is absolutely bonkers to my ears.

Really though, as long as your favorite Rush album isn't Presto, you can't have that much loose wiring in the head.
Well, I won’t say Presto is my favorite.

#20 BowlCity

BowlCity

• Members *
  • 10519 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 06:30 PM

View PostTransverse Leaf Spring, on 31 December 2017 - 06:27 PM, said:

View PostBowlCity, on 31 December 2017 - 06:21 PM, said:

ETA:   nah,  that's too harsh. Like what you like. Dislike what you like.   It's all fine.  I agree (mostly) with Portnoy but it's just an opinion.

Well, I won’t say Presto is my favorite.

You've still got plenty of loose wiring but I don't think your opinion towards Presto did that :P :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users