Symphonic/Power Metal fantasy band

kazzman

Ok, same concept as the 80's metal gods thread, but having to do with symphonic/power metal. You can pick anybody from any band, BUT, your pick for the slotted instrument must be alive. And it must be from a symphonic/power metal band (not progressive metal). Oh, and keyboards are a standard in this style of metal too...

Vocals - Roy Khan (Kamelot)- You have no idea how hard this pick was for me. It came down to Khan, Hansi Kursch (Blind Guardian/Demons & Wizards), Niklas Istfeldt (Dream Evil), Fabio Leone (Rhapsody), Kristoffer Gobel (Falconer) and Matt Barlow (Iced Earth). I went with Khan because he simply has the greatest male tenor voice I've ever heard and his style fits power metal so briliantly.

Backing Vocals/Choir - Tarja Turunen (Nightwish), Marco Hietala (Nightwish/Tarot), Hansi Kursch (Blind Guardian/Demons & Wizards), Micheal Kiske (Helloween), Kai Hansen (Gamma Ray), Simone Simmons (Epica), Matt Barlow (Iced Earth), Timo Kotepelto (Stratovarius), Niklas Istfeldt (Dream Evil), and Tony Kakko (Sonata Arctica). - Yeah since I had a hard time picking a lead vocalist, and since a lot of power metal bands use choirs, I opted for one in this band.

Guitars - Luca Turilli (Rhapsody) - Think Yngwie Malmsteen with soul in his guitar playing and no ego...

Guitars - Emppu Vuorinen (Nightwish) - Listen to the guitar/keyboard battle on the song Crownless as well as the song The End of All Hope and

NOTE: Both guitarists are doing a rythm/lead combo. Both are too good for one to just sit back and do rythm

Bass - Glenn Barry (Kamelot) - Good bassist. Nothing major, but gets the job done.

Drums - Richard Christy (Iced Earth) - Check out the albums The Glorius Burden and Horror Show for my reasoning. I was tempted to have Snowy Shaw of Dream Evil be the drummer, because his resume is really impressive (drummed for King Diamond, Mercyful Fate, Illwill, Memento Mori, and Dream Evil as well as played lead guitar/vocals for Notre Dame), but Christy is one of those drummers who's presence is well known and contributes wholly to the music being played.

Keyboards - Jens Johannson (Stratovarius) - The guy is a god with keyboards...

i'd like to make one of these but i really don't listen to much power metal. i mean, i LOVE power metal but i'm just still new to it so i have yet to discover many PM bands. i'll check out some of the bands that those people are from though. i've been wanting to check out Iced Earth for a while i just gotta remember to dl some stuff lol and i'll check out some of those other bands too.

I must confess i'm not up on all of this genre of metal, but i'm trying. Right now though i would have to go with guys i'm more familiar with and i'm not sure if they would even fall into the same category. I don't have a complete band yet, but here's what i got.

Vocals: John Oliva - The guy, when he's healthy, has an amazing wail of a voice. Check out the albums Sirens or Hall of the Mountain King for proof of this. As far as Symphonic metal goes, Savatage may have wrote the book on it's beginnings. Founding members of the band went on to create Trans-Siberian Orchestra. John's vocals and his brother Chris's guitar work were purely astounding.

Lead Guitar: I'm dying to find a place for my bud Karl Logan and this might just be it. Though not a huge fan of ManoWar, I am a HUGE fan of Karl's. His guitar work would be a huge fit to a band like this.

Again, i'm not good with names and i might be wrong with genre classification, but the drummer from King Diamond was amazing, so he may be my pick for that spot.

I think i'll just defer to Kazz's knowledge of this on the other slots until i know more about it myself.

QUOTE (Freedom_Fighter @ Oct 1 2005, 04:42 PM)
nope there are more.

by the way would Symphony X be considered symphonic/power metal? i always thought of them as progressive but they also seem to have sympho/power qualities too.

They're progressive...

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Oct 1 2005, 03:09 PM)
You guys are killing me with all these specific genres smile.gif

The reason we go with specific genres is because the premise is that if this could happen, what people would it take to create it. As much as music brings people together, i don't see say... Mustaine working with C.C. DeVille. See what i'm saying? The whole point of the thread is that it's a possibility and if it were to happen, who would you want in each slot. That's why dead guys and almost dead guys from the seventies wouldn't work also. Though maybe we could have a thread about the most INCOMPATIBLE guys. That might be cool. To see a Pier 6 brawl break out on stage. Sweet.

Archived