Sportscaster Dick Engberg (1935 - 2017)

Principled Man

enberg.jpg

Enberg retired with multiple broadcasting honors, including the National Baseball Hall of Fame’s Ford C. Frick Award, the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Rozelle Award and the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame’s Gowdy Award. He also took home 14 Emmy awards.

After starting his full-time career calling local games in Los Angeles in the 1960s, he spent 25 years at NBC, where his highlights included calling Michigan State’s 1979 NCAA championship victory over Indiana State in a game that featured Magic Johnson and Larry Bird and helped usher in the modern era of basketball.

He spent 11 years at CBS and covered Wimbledon and French Open championships for ESPN starting in 2004. In total, he called 10 Super Bowls, 28 Wimbledon championships and 8 NCAA Tournament championships, according to the Union-Tribune.

He spent his last seven working years calling the Padres before retiring in 2016.

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

one of the best ever. always well focused on the game. his ncaa basketball work with al mcquire was a priceless combination.

You forgot Billy Packer. Was that intentional? :)

He called the 1976 and 1981 Indiana National Championship wins.

• Like 1

R.I.P. Dick Engberg. I always enjoyed watching tennis when he was there. I didn't realize he was in his eighties. Such a professional with a great voice! Edited by blueschica

R.I.P. Dick Engberg. I always enjoyed watching tennis when he was there. I didn't realize he was in his eighties. Such a professional with a great voice!

Enberg(only one "g") actually broadcast Padre games up through 2016. And was still good at it.

• Like 1

one of the best ever. always well focused on the game. his ncaa basketball work with al mcquire was a priceless combination.

no but billy packer is forgettable. especially next to al and dick.

no but billy packer is forgettable. especially next to al and dick.

Part (most?) of Al's charm was slapping the insufferable Packer down, though. (Being somewhat of a Sycamore fan in the Bird era, Packer was an asshole, IMO.)

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

Perhaps my all time favorite NFL announcer .. I have the best memories of Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen calling the Broncos games of the 1980s, including the classic "The Drive" game in Cleveland ..

RIP Mr Enberg, and thank you for being a part of some of the most bonding and fun experiences I had growing up with my parents

• Like 1

R.I.P. Dick Engberg. I always enjoyed watching tennis when he was there. I didn't realize he was in his eighties. Such a professional with a great voice!

:goodone:

He was a great tennis announcer. :yes:

• Like 1