For anyone who likes rockets and satellites...

Maverick

Tomorrow night @08:30 EST, SpaceX will launch a Falcon 9 rocket carrying 10 Iridium Next satellites to their initial orbits. The launch can be viewed from SpaceX's website, or you can also watch it live on YouTube.

In addition to the launch, you will be able to see stage one separation, fairing separation, where the cone of the rocket tip comes off, and finally the deployment of the satellites. This will be Iridium's 4th Next launch, and the rocket will be reusing a stage one component from a previous launch. Even though SpaceX has reused several stage one rockets, this will be the first time one will be reused by the same company that used it in a prior launch. In this case, the stage one rocket is the same that was used for Iridium's 2nd Next Launch.

Here is a short video of several Next satellites being deployed from Launch 3. At the 00:16 mark of the video, you'll see the last satellite deployed from the mount. If you look on the upper left side of the screen, you can see four white dots curling away (the fourth one is actually over the Earth, and might look like a cloud speck,) these are satellites that have been deployed, and are trailing behind the launch vehicle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54PXntJTwLo&feature=youtu.be

• Like 5

I remember all the NASA animations of the Apollo Saturn 5 rockets and the launches that came to later vehicles...and finally the launches that actually had cameras ON them to actually see real stuff happening.

XCg9Myz.gif

Did Elon Musk really predict that it is likely the rocket will explode on launch?

I was gonna say...if the rocket explodes, I really hope it explodes in a spectacular spectacle. I hope it won't, but for some reason I find it fascinating to watch rocket explosions (the early days of NASA/space exploration in particular) especially if it happens in such dramatic fashion. Except for the Challenger disaster...that wasn't fun to watch.

At least Elon Musk's got a pretty good attitude toward Space X failures...

Edited by PolarizeMe