Can you name your ONE fave rhythm guitarist?

Texas King

Ritchie Havens

Great, unique acoustic rhythm style, and one of the most mind blowing stories was that when he played Woodstock, he had finished his set, but because of traffic, the next few acts were late and not ready to play ..

Ritchie was asked to kill some time, and on the spot, he came up with the song "Freedom" .. It was loosed based around a hymn he sung as a kid called "Motherless Child", and he said he came up with the word freedom because of what he saw when he looked out into the audience .. His band just joined right in, totally improvised

• Like 2

Ritchie Havens

Great, unique acoustic rhythm style, and one of the most mind blowing stories was that when he played Woodstock, he had finished his set, but because of traffic, the next few acts were late and not ready to play ..

Ritchie was asked to kill some time, and on the spot, he came up with the song "Freedom" .. It was loosed based around a hymn he sung as a kid called "Motherless Child", and he said he came up with the word freedom because of what he saw when he looked out into the audience .. His band just joined right in, totally improvised

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rynxqdNMry4

Absolutely :yes: :goodone:

Ritchie Havens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rynxqdNMry4

Absolutely :yes: :goodone:

He does a great job on Steve Hackett's Please Don't Touch album as well.

If Eddie Van Halen plays rhythm, who plays lead, and what's the difference between the two?

Generally speaking, rhythm guitar is chord work that forms the foundation of a song and lead guitar is single note soloing. Single guitarists in bands (Rush, Who, Zep, Queen) are thus often pulling double duty. So, in answer to your more specific question, when Eddie Van Halen is playing rhythm guitar, the lead line is most likely whatever David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar is singing.

• Like 2

If Eddie Van Halen plays rhythm, who plays lead, and what's the difference between the two?

Generally speaking, rhythm guitar is chord work that forms the foundation of a song and lead guitar is single note soloing. Single guitarists in bands (Rush, Who, Zep, Queen) are thus often pulling double duty. So, in answer to your more specific question, when Eddie Van Halen is playing rhythm guitar, the lead line is most likely whatever David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar is singing.

With the early VH albums, you often actually have Eddie's rhythm in one speaker and the lead/solo in the other.
  • Like 1

With the early VH albums, you often actually have Eddie's rhythm in one speaker and the lead/solo in the other.

Name a song I can listen to so I know what you're talking about, please.

• Like 1

Name a song I can listen to so I know what you're talking about, please.

Running with the Devil. Start at around 14:00 on this vid and the guy breaks down the rhythm part, then the solo.

Jamie's Cryin' has the same kind of effect going on.

There's the lead (Wooowwww..wah...wah-woooowww...), and the opposing rhythm track that follows the bass (chunk...chunk-chunk...chunk-chunk..duhhh-duh-duh-duh...chunk...chunk-chunk...)

• Like 1

That's very kind and thoughtful of you, Goose, to include the videos.

Thank you. I will give a listen to them.

Earbuds for maximum effect!
  • Like 1

Tony Iommi, Ritchie Blackmore, Brian May.

A guy not mentioned here Malcolm Young's brother. He's playing much of the same riffs as his brother, he's not just playing lead and standing around is he? And he probably wrote at least 50% of the riffs or maybe more than that. So Angus Young is another great rhythm player.

• Like 4

A guy not mentioned here Malcolm Young's brother. He's playing much of the same riffs as his brother, he's not just playing lead and standing around is he? And he probably wrote at least 50% of the riffs or maybe more than that. So Angus Young is another great rhythm player.

That's who I thought of when I saw the thread topic! Honestly duck, you are still reading my mind :LOL:

• Like 1

That's who I thought of when I saw the thread topic! Honestly duck, you are still reading my mind :LOL:

AYE!

• Like 1

The Edge

Andy Summers

Two excellent choices. The Edge's hyper-percussive approach, plus his particular use of echo, really were innovative.
  • Like 2