The Last Jedi Reaction thread [SPOILERS galore!]

JohnnyBlaze

Episode VIII  

42 members have voted

1. 1. How would you grade The Last Jedi?

2. 2. Do you plan on seeing The Last Jedi in the cinema again?

3. 3. The Last Jedi is better than... ((check the ones that apply))

• A New Hope
    • The Empire Strikes Back
    • Return of the Jedi
    • Phantom Menace
    • Attack of the Clones
    • Revenge of the Sith
    • The Force Awakens
    • Rogue One
    • NONE!!!

Currently watching, for the first time, the Blu-ray reworked version of Return Of The Jedi.

Oh my gawd.....what utter stupidity. The opening scene in Jabba’s chamber....Lucas turned it into total shit.

:facepalm:

That is, BY FAR, the worst of the tinkering Lucas did to the special editions. It's worse than the entirely new and shitty ending of Jedi, worse than the terrible CGI Jabba getting stepped on by Han... It's totally embarrassing. What were they thinking??!

Worse than Greedo shooting first or kenobi’s dragin scream?

Yes, it was worse. It was blatant pandering to children. It was a Muppet Show music video.

I will NEVER watch it again. It's the original version or nothing.

It was a test. Lucas knew he’d make the prequels at that point and he wanted to test the technology and the style.

The crazy thing is he thought that these efforts passed that test.

• Like 1

just watched it for the 3rd time. I know I am in the minority but I absolutely love this movie. The blu-ray has a great making of documentary also.

star-wars-the-last-jedi-review.jpg

• Like 2

I read that Rian Johnson has received death threats. I think that's just terrific. :finbar: :yes: :madra: :banana: :nya nya: :ranton:

yeah I am sure he losing sleep about that as he develops his new trilogy

just watched it for the 3rd time. I know I am in the minority but I absolutely love this movie. The blu-ray has a great making of documentary also.

It doesn't matter if we're in the minority.....and are we really in the minority? I don't know and I don't care. The film has flaws, just like every other Star Wars film. I still find it very entertaining.

• Like 2

It doesn't matter if we're in the minority.....and are we really in the minority? I don't know and I don't care. The film has flaws, just like every other Star Wars film. I still find it very entertaining.

We are not in the minority. Whiny fanboys have very loud voices.

• Like 1

We are not in the minority. Whiny fanboys have very loud voices.

:LOL:

I hated it so much, I saw it twice. :P

• Like 1

I read that Rian Johnson has received death threats. I think that's just terrific. :finbar: :yes: :madra: :banana: :nya nya: :ranton:

Supposedly, he's being pulled from the new trilogy. I can only hope, but the damage its done. This is the only Star Wars movie I didn't see more than once or even buy the dvd. I'm not even going to Solo. I know I'm in the minority, but its a large minority. Disney is understandably all about money, I would think the disappointing returns after the opening week of Episode 8 and the 49% Rotten Tomatoes score would be obvious to them.

Supposedly, he's being pulled from the new trilogy. I can only hope, but the damage its done. This is the only Star Wars movie I didn't see more than once or even buy the dvd. I'm not even going to Solo. I know I'm in the minority, but its a large minority. Disney is understandably all about money, I would think the disappointing returns after the opening week of Episode 8 and the 49% Rotten Tomatoes score would be obvious to them.

I think Disney rescued the franchise from Lucas. Sorry but those prequels are almost unwatchable, as is Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Suck.

• Like 2

Supposedly, he's being pulled from the new trilogy.

Are you sure about this? Has there been a new press release? I haven't seen anything since November.

Supposedly, he's being pulled from the new trilogy.

Are you sure about this? Has there been a new press release? I haven't seen anything since November.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure. That's why I said supposedly. I read it in an article that reportedly had inside information. Kathleen Kennedy is a stubborn witch though. She can go to hell also.

I think Disney rescued the franchise from Lucas. Sorry but those prequels are almost unwatchable, as is Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Suck.

I actually like the prequels and think they approach classic status when compared to the latest debacle called Episode 8. Episode 7 was cool, then Rian Johnson admittedly threw out the general story line JJ Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan had laid out for the trilogy. It's evident over and over and over and over again that he was saying 'f**k you Star Wars fans, look how clever I am!' It's fiction writing 101, you can't completely subvert a story arc in the second act and expect it to turn out well. Rian Johnson doesn't give a shit what Star Wars is about, what it represents, it was just a say for him to push his ego AND Kathleen Kennedy's neo-feminist agenda on everyone.
  • Like 2

I actually like the prequels and think they approach classic status when compared to the latest debacle called Episode 8. Episode 7 was cool, then Rian Johnson admittedly threw out the general story line JJ Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan had laid out for the trilogy. It's evident over and over and over and over again that he was saying 'f**k you Star Wars fans, look how clever I am!' It's fiction writing 101, you can't completely subvert a story arc in the second act and expect it to turn out well. Rian Johnson doesn't give a shit what Star Wars is about, what it represents, it was just a say for him to push his ego AND Kathleen Kennedy's neo-feminist agenda on everyone.

If you watch "The Director and the Jedi" documentary, you'll see Rian Johnson very much cares about Star Wars. He just didn't make the Star Wars movie you wanted. I think the film is smart and surprising and moves the franchise in a much needed new direction. There were some missteps (Can you hear me now? Luke tossing the light saber over his shoulder, Mary Poppins Leia, the Canto Bight stampede), but overall it made me feel something unlike Rogue One. I really don't get the anger this film has generated among some fans. It seems over the top.

I saw the original and Empire in theaters back in the day. They are the only classics in the franchise :finbar:

• Like 3

If you watch "The Director and the Jedi" documentary, you'll see Rian Johnson very much cares about Star Wars. He just didn't make the Star Wars movie you wanted.

I really don't get the anger this film has generated among some fans. It seems over the top.

Many fans didn't get what they wanted. Just my opinion, but I think many fans really wanted to see Luke Skywalker kick some serious ass, and not as a Force ghost. It didn't happen. 35 years worth of fans' hopes and dreams were crushed. That is the main cause of misery for fans.

If you watch "The Director and the Jedi" documentary, you'll see Rian Johnson very much cares about Star Wars. He just didn't make the Star Wars movie you wanted.

I really don't get the anger this film has generated among some fans. It seems over the top.

Many fans didn't get what they wanted. Just my opinion, but I think many fans really wanted to see Luke Skywalker kick some serious ass, and not as a Force ghost. It didn't happen. 35 years worth of fans' hopes and dreams were crushed. That is the main cause of misery for fans.

I totally get it. But if you think about Obi-Wan in A New Hope or Yoda in Empire, they were disillusioned old Jedi hermits as well.

I thought the showdown between Luke and Kylo was epic. Reminded me of an old Spaghetti Western

19d13ab3dfe80db4be9588e377c18a8e.gif

Edited by Rushman14
  • Like 3

I totally get it. But if you think about Obi-Wan in A New Hope or Yoda in Empire, they were disillusioned old Jedi hermits as well.

I thought the showdown between Luke and Kylo was epic. Reminded me of an old Spaghetti Western

I enjoyed Luke's confrontation with Ben very much, but I think that many fans (including myself) expected something totally different.

Obi-Wan and Yoda were in the twilight of their lives. I never saw them as disillusioned. They were merely waiting for the right time to seek out Luke (or Leia) and beseech him to bring the Jedi back.

After the victory over Palpatine, we all believed that Luke was fully in control and confident, and that the future Jedi were in safe hands.

JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson said "Hold on just a second...." :doh:

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 2

That's a great image, with Luke projecting light and Kylo projecting darkness.
  • Like 1

Luke's finale in TLJ is the best scene or collection of scenes in the sequel trilogy thus far. Also I vastly prefer VIII Luke to original trilogy Luke.

Bite me.

• Like 1

Luke tossing the light saber over his shoulder, Mary Poppins Leia, the Canto Bight stampede), but overall it made me feel something unlike Rogue One. I really don't get the anger this film has generated among some fans. It seems over the top.

It seems over the top because that’s the nature of the internet these days.

These are obviously imho:

light saber over the shoulder - an unfunny sequence

Mary Poppins Leia - dumb and cheap looking

Canto Bight stampede - forgettable yet not hate worthy

I’d guess that the majority of viewers who disliked it are similar to me: It had some cool looking scenes but it was an overall disappointment. But, that’s where it ends. And despite that disappointment, I/We will be back to see the finale (with the Han Solo flick coming before that)

• Like 1

My biggest dislikes of Episode 8:

1. Luke isn't Luke

2. After Carrie Fisher's unfortunate death, they should have left Luke alive on the island...although apparently you can do anything with the force now so...

3. Nonchalantly killing off Admiral Ackbar off screen...Christ, have some f**king respect for this character.

4. They spend way too much time on that island going nowhere.

5. Finn & Rose's misadventure was pointless and sloppy writing

6. EVERY MALE CHARACTER HAS A FEMALE TELLING THEM THEY ARE WRONG EVERY STEP OF THE WAY.

* Finn has Rose telling him he is wrong about leaving the ship, about Benico Del Toro, about what made Canto Byte worth it, about sacrificing himself.

* Poe has has Laura Dern and Leia telling him he's wrong (because they won't include him in their plan for no reason)

* Luke has Rey telling him he's wrong about his pessimistic hermitic ways (rightly so).

* Kylo Ren has Rey telling him he's wrong about holding onto his New Order philosophies (another flawed male).

There is an overt message here. I call this neo-feminism, because true feminism is about equality for everybody and not being pigeon-holed into a gender stereo type because of your sex. Trust me, I'm an educated person and have read a lot of literary criticism and their schools of thought. In short, some themes are on purpose, some themes are not. The diminution of the male is purposeful in this movie, there is no escaping it.

Things I didn't necessarily have a problem with, because I think they will be rectified in Episode 9:

1. Snoke being offed. One of the few twists that made sense and was exciting. But, I think (hope) he'll be back because he's Darth f***ing Plagueis --Daisy Ridley blurted it out in an interview and Rian Johnson inadvertently admitted it later too.

2. Captain Phasma being offed so quickly--she'll be back.

3. No confrontation between BB-8 and BB-9E. We just see this new intriguing evil little bastard looking at BB-8...then nothing. Seriously? There has to be a duel of the droids in Episode 9. And hopefully more R2-D2; I miss you buddy!

• Like 3

Luke's finale in TLJ is the best scene or collection of scenes in the sequel trilogy thus far. Also I vastly prefer VIII Luke to original trilogy Luke.

Bite me.

I agree that what they did with Luke was an improvement

Bite me.

The Jedi and Sith caused him nuthin' but trouble, pain and suffering. Can't blame him for telling everyone to piss off.... :o

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 2

Updated:

Tier 1

ESB

ANH

ROTJ

R1

Solo

Tier 2

TFA

ROTS

Tier 3

TLJ

TPM

AOTC

Edited by Todem

Bite me.

I somehow missed this. Making Luke an illogical pessimist and completely gutting his character in order to create fake drama? Making him die in a 5 minute stall plan in an unbelievable reversal of 2 hours of grumpiness? The assisination of Luke was the worst thing about this movie. Rose and Finn were harder to watch, but it at least made some sort of sense based on who they were.

• Like 1