The Programming Thread

The Analog Cub

Any other software geeks folks lurking in TRF? I've been working mostly in Rails and Java development for the last couple years and am curious what other people in the field are interested in.
  • Like 4

Any other software geeks folks lurking in TRF? I've been working mostly in Rails and Java development for the last couple years and am curious what other people in the field are interested in.

There's some Bears fans on the street, I think they're eating rotting loves of bread out of a dumpster...again!

I go back to the days of fortran, pascal and cobol on mainframes :codger: but the new toys you're playing with would probably run circles around me. Since my job doesn't officially allow 'development', I'm pretty limited to report extracts via sql and writing some limited Access applications. Hey it's a simple gubment job that pays the bills, but in a way I feel like a neutered old dog that sleeps on the porch all day.

stock-photo-old-black-dog-lying-down-on-porch-looking-tired-655646059.jpg

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 2

I go back to the days of fortran, pascal and cobol on mainframes :codger: but the new toys you're playing with would probably run circles around me. Since my job doesn't officially allow 'development', I'm pretty limited to report extracts via sql and writing some limited Access applications. Hey it's a simple gubment job that pays the bills, but in a way I feel like a neutered old dog that sleeps on the porch all day.

If you've the time and desire, I highly recommend getting a Raspberry Pi and picking up Python. Easy as hell language and you can do so many things with a Pi for cheap.

• Like 3

I wrote trading systems on Wall St in Assembler / Cobol / PL/1 / CICS / batch / VSAM / JCL etc. for mainframes for many many many years. Some of my programs are still running ( a scary thought ).

More recently I was in involved with Linux and shell scripting supporting MySQL databases.

Now retired. :codger:

Edited by custom55
  • Like 2

I wrote trading systems on Wall St in Assembler / Cobol / PL/1 / CICS / batch / VSAM / JCL etc. for mainframes for many many many years. Some of my programs are still running ( a scary thought ).

More recently I was in involved with Linux and shell scripting supporting MySQL databases.

The change to graphically programming many things have changed things tremendously (for the better I admit). The young bucks never experienced Fortran on punchcards and then dropping the cards on the floor. :rage: Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 3

The change to graphically programming many things have changed things tremendously (for the better I admit). The young bucks never experienced Fortran on punchcards and then dropping the cards on the floor. :rage:

I remember writing programs on Cobol sheets and turning them into the keypunch pool for overnight keying. Then going into the glass fishbowl ( computer room ) and loading the punch cards into the read to run my program.

Deltak training videos ?

• Like 2

The change to graphically programming many things have changed things tremendously (for the better I admit). The young bucks never experienced Fortran on punchcards and then dropping the cards on the floor. :rage:

The oldest thing I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with was an AIX system from the mid-90's. God that was infuriating :laughing guy:

• Like 2

For work I've mostly been invested in Rails and Java, outside of work I've been enjoying where React.js has been going in the past year or so as it's gained massive popularity. I wrote a few group projects in it in college when it was still really new.
  • Like 2

If you've the time and desire, I highly recommend getting a Raspberry Pi and picking up Python. Easy as hell language and you can do so many things with a Pi for cheap.

I know what Python is but have never used it (or any other programming language) and I know what a Raspberry Pi is, but have never used one of those either. What kinds of things can one do with it?

I know what Python is but have never used it (or any other programming language) and I know what a Raspberry Pi is, but have never used one of those either. What kinds of things can one do with it?

They're primarily geared towards helping people learn basic programming but common uses I've seen for them are for "software furniture" like hooking it up against an LED board, of which there are plenty of kits out there for. I hooked mine up to a 32x32 LED board, had one of my friends make some pixel art, and we made a basic weather clock. Having it scrape against a weather API every few minutes or so will have it update the current temperature, time, and weather condition for my area.

I build in-house web-based tools, using SQL (Oracle's flavor), C#/Javascript/AJAX all in a .NET environment (aspx pages).

• Like 1