Why not a 40th Anniversary of Caress of Steel??

Jaminbenb

A 40th anni release of COS would have been something that I would have loved. I am relatively new to the band, so it would have been a good introduction to that time.

I am new to this forum too. This is my first post.

A 40th anni of COS would have been timely considering the band was on a farewell tour.

Nice to meet everyone here btw

I don't know why they didn't do a 40th anniversary release of COS, but the members of Rush are on record as considering the album something of an embarrassment and as others here have pointed out it is one of their worst selling albums.

People keep saying that the band members were embarrassed about the album. If it is on record, please provide a link. In BTLS, Geddy states they were really proud of the album. They were certainly disappointed in the lack of sales and lack of turnout for the shows, but not in the album itself.

I think it is their best album along with Hemispheres. I certainly would have been all excited about a 40th anniversary offering.

• Like 4

Looks like we will just get the regurging of 2112 and Moving Pictures every anniversary like marriage. Be interesting to see if anything happens with Hemispheres next year.

While I am hardly an insider, my guess is that with it being the 40th anniversary we will.

I hope that not only does that happen, but part of the deluxe edition includes a soundboard from the band's archive on this tour (and ideally, a date that has no audience source available).

Edit: To stay on topic with this, my guess is that based on past comments, the band has no soundboards from this tour. With the sales it had at the time (and I forget if it has hit gold or platinum) and the way the band seems to view the album in retrospect, I am not surprised that it had no 40th anniversary edition.

Edited by 78jazz
  • Like 2

I demand a 40th anniv with covers of fountains of lamneth by 80's synth pop bands. Maybe like Howard Jones or the pet shop boys . now that would be something
  • Like 2

They should release a "Chronicles of By-Tor" package. Just By-Tor & the Snow Dog and The Necromancer, along with a live recording, Lifeson's isolated guitar tracks, and an incredibly long essay about why By-Tor changed his evil ways. Or a graphic novel, as long as it's not written by what'shisface. And rather than getting other bands to do covers, have Lifeson and Lee perform a new vocal-less version, using the original drum tracks.
  • Like 1

They should release a "Chronicles of By-Tor" package. Just By-Tor & the Snow Dog and The Necromancer, along with a live recording, Lifeson's isolated guitar tracks, and an incredibly long essay about why By-Tor changed his evil ways. Or a graphic novel, as long as it's not written by what'shisface. And rather than getting other bands to do covers, have Lifeson and Lee perform a new vocal-less version, using the original drum tracks.

Your last sentence won’t happen. Not saying it’s a bad idea though.

Your last sentence won’t happen. Not saying it’s a bad idea though.

None of it will happen, because I never get my way. Rush never listens to me.

• Like 3

A 40th anni release of COS would have been something that I would have loved. I am relatively new to the band, so it would have been a good introduction to that time.

A 40th anni of COS would have been timely considering the band was on a farewell tour.

I don't know why they didn't do a 40th anniversary release of COS, but the members of Rush are on record as considering the album something of an embarrassment and as others here have pointed out it is one of their worst selling albums.

People keep saying that the band members were embarrassed about the album. If it is on record, please provide a link. In BTLS, Geddy states they were really proud of the album. They were certainly disappointed in the lack of sales and lack of turnout for the shows, but not in the album itself.

I think it is their best album along with Hemispheres. I certainly would have been all excited about a 40th anniversary offering.

I seem to remember Geddy saying in an audio interview that he and Alex listened to it (maybe 15 or 20 years ago.) because they were listening to some of their older stuff to get song ideas for a tour. He said that when he listened to CoS the song writing was quite weak.
  • Like 1

I seem to recall that the band were proud of COS at that time but in retrospect they admitted that they may have been smoking too many jazz cigarettes.
  • Like 2

I seem to recall that the band were proud of COS at that time but in retrospect they admitted that they may have been smoking too many jazz cigarettes.

Yeah Ged actually says that in BTLS.

Geddy has even said that he hates Lakeside Park, so I was pleasantly surprised when they performed it on the R40 tour.

Geddy Lee: "I can’t go back beyond 2112 really, because that starts to get a bit hairy for me, and if I hear ‘Lakeside Park’ on the radio I cringe. What a lousy song! Still, I don’t regret anything that I’ve done!”

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/rush-caress-of-steel-album/?trackback=tsmclip

Edited by rftag
  • Like 1

Geddy Lee: "I can’t go back beyond 2112 really, because that starts to get a bit hairy for me, and if I hear ‘Lakeside Park’ on the radio I cringe. What a lousy song! Still, I don’t regret anything that I’ve done!”

He also expressed regret about the album on "That Metal Show".

He regards COS as their second worst album (oddly enough he regards Fly By Night as the worst - I love the album).

Oddly enough, Geddy is actually quite fond of the debut. Now, I love the debut album as well, but I don't understand how he could hate FBN but like the debut.

You may notice of course that the members of Rush tend to be somewhat inconsistent in their public remarks. For example, in the quote I cited Geddy says he can't listen to stuff prior to 2112, yet in his appearance on That Metal Show he said he thinks the debut has aged well.

They are pretty consistent however regarding their latter day disapproval of COS. It is true that they were very proud of it at the time (I actually pointed that out in my original post to which you responded), but they subsequently revised their opinions of it.

Alex doesn't seem particularly critical of those pre-2112 albums (he seems to be most critcal of the synth period stuff).

BTW, though Geddy says in BTLS that they were very proud of COS - at the time - he also suggests that their high opinion of the album at the time was clouded by the fact that they were high a lot back then. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Note also that I had nothing bad to say about the album in my post. I think there is a lot of great stuff on COS (Lakeside Park, Bastille Day, Alex's riffage on The Necromancer) but I also think it's the weakest of their first three albums.

Having said that I played the shit out of that album and like it a lot.

Edited by rftag
  • Like 2

http://ultimateclass...ackback=tsmclip

He regards COS as their second worst album (oddly enough he regards Fly By Night as the worst - I love the album).

Oddly enough, Geddy is actually quite fond of the debut. Now, I love the debut album as well, but I don't understand how he could hate FBN but like the debut.

You may notice of course that the members of Rush tend to be somewhat inconsistent in their public remarks. For example, in the quote I cited Geddy says he can't listen to stuff prior to 2112, yet in his appearance on That Metal Show he said he thinks the debut has aged well.

They are pretty consistent however regarding their latter day disapproval of COS. It is true that they were very proud of it at the time (I actually pointed that out in my original post to which you responded), but they subsequently revised their opinions of it.

Alex doesn't seem particularly critical of those pre-2112 albums (he seems to be most critcal of the synth period stuff).

BTW, though Geddy says in BTLS that they were very proud of COS - at the time - he also suggests that their high opinion of the album at the time was clouded by the fact that they were high a lot back then. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Note also that I had nothing bad to say about the album in my post. I think there is a lot of great stuff on COS (Lakeside Park, Bastille Day, Alex's riffage on The Necromancer) but I also think it's the weakest of their first three albums.

Caress of Steel is easily my favorite of the first three.

• Like 1

People change their opinions on albums all the time. Many TRFers have admitted to it. Geddy seems to have changed his mind on those early albums too. No big deal.

• Like 1

They don't give a rats ass about COS.
  • Like 1

People change their opinions on albums all the time. Many TRFers have admitted to it. Geddy seems to have changed his mind on those early albums too. No big deal.

True dat. I change my opinions about Rush albums more frequently than I change the oil in my car.

• Like 2

True dat. I change my opinions about Rush albums more frequently than I change the oil in my car.

:yes:

I used to like Snakes & Bones and now they’re at the bottom of my pile. I dislike the former and tolerate the latter.

I used to not care too much about CoS but I like it enough now. It’s not in my top 5 BUT I do like it.

• Like 2

They might be better off doing the 40th anniversary of Archives...which is next year!

I found an original copy of that album at a record store few months ago, 15$ and in great condition!!

Gray cover or black cover?

• Like 1

They might be better off doing the 40th anniversary of Archives...which is next year!

I found an original copy of that album at a record store few months ago, 15$ and in great condition!!

Gray cover or black cover?

Grey

That was my first exposure to RUSH. I borrowed my friend's copy and recorded it on Akai reel-to-reel tape.
  • Like 2

If they did a COS 40th anniversary box set I would hope they would reinstate the original artwork as it was intended before it was bronzed over by a record company print error.

If they did a COS 40th anni box set, they’d be at least a few years late!

Well yea.