Why not a 40th Anniversary of Caress of Steel??

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 rftag

rftag

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 288 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, travel, science, philosophy, wildlife, skepticism, belief systems, consciousness

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:44 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 10 December 2017 - 06:11 PM, said:

View Postrftag, on 09 December 2017 - 06:57 PM, said:

View Postapetersvt, on 07 December 2017 - 11:59 AM, said:

View Postrftag, on 06 December 2017 - 06:23 PM, said:

View PostPrincess2112, on 06 December 2017 - 05:41 PM, said:

A 40th anni release of COS would have been something that I would have loved. I am relatively new to the band, so it would have been a good introduction to that time.
I am new to this forum too. This is my first post.
A 40th anni of COS would have been timely considering the band was on a farewell tour.

Nice to meet everyone here btw

I don't know why they didn't do a 40th anniversary release of COS, but the members of Rush are on record as considering the album something of an embarrassment and as others here have pointed out it is one of their worst selling albums.

People keep saying that the band members were embarrassed about the album.  If it is on record, please provide a link.  In BTLS, Geddy states they were really proud of the album.  They were certainly disappointed in the lack of sales and lack of turnout for the shows, but not in the album itself.  

I think it is their best album along with Hemispheres.  I certainly would have been all excited about a 40th anniversary offering.

Geddy Lee: "I can’t go back beyond 2112 really, because that starts to get a bit hairy for me, and if I hear ‘Lakeside Park’ on the radio I cringe. What a lousy song! Still, I don’t regret anything that I’ve done!”

http://ultimateclass...ackback=tsmclip

He also expressed regret about the album on "That Metal Show".

He regards COS as their second worst album (oddly enough he regards Fly By Night as the worst - I love the album).

Oddly enough, Geddy is actually quite fond of the debut. Now, I love the debut album as well, but I don't understand how he could hate FBN but like the debut.

You may notice of course that the members of Rush tend to be somewhat inconsistent in their public remarks. For example, in the quote I cited Geddy says he can't listen to stuff prior to 2112, yet in his appearance on That Metal Show he said he thinks the debut has aged well.

They are pretty consistent however regarding their latter day disapproval of COS. It is true that they were very proud of it at the time (I actually pointed that out in my original post to which you responded), but they subsequently revised their opinions of it.

Alex doesn't seem particularly critical of those pre-2112 albums (he seems to be most critcal of the synth period stuff).

BTW, though Geddy says in BTLS that they were very proud of COS - at the time - he also suggests that their high opinion of the album at the time was clouded by the fact that they were high a lot back then. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Note also that I had nothing bad to say about the album in my post. I think there is a lot of great stuff on COS (Lakeside Park, Bastille Day, Alex's riffage on The Necromancer) but I also think it's the weakest of their first three albums.

Having said that I played the shit out of that album and like it a lot.

People change their opinions on albums all the time. Many TRFers have admitted to it. Geddy seems to have changed his mind on those early albums too. No big deal.

True dat. I change my opinions about Rush albums more frequently than I change the oil in my car.

Sponsored Post

#42 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30605 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:47 PM

View Postrftag, on 12 December 2017 - 08:44 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 10 December 2017 - 06:11 PM, said:

View Postrftag, on 09 December 2017 - 06:57 PM, said:

View Postapetersvt, on 07 December 2017 - 11:59 AM, said:

View Postrftag, on 06 December 2017 - 06:23 PM, said:

View PostPrincess2112, on 06 December 2017 - 05:41 PM, said:

A 40th anni release of COS would have been something that I would have loved. I am relatively new to the band, so it would have been a good introduction to that time.
I am new to this forum too. This is my first post.
A 40th anni of COS would have been timely considering the band was on a farewell tour.

Nice to meet everyone here btw

I don't know why they didn't do a 40th anniversary release of COS, but the members of Rush are on record as considering the album something of an embarrassment and as others here have pointed out it is one of their worst selling albums.

People keep saying that the band members were embarrassed about the album.  If it is on record, please provide a link.  In BTLS, Geddy states they were really proud of the album.  They were certainly disappointed in the lack of sales and lack of turnout for the shows, but not in the album itself.  

I think it is their best album along with Hemispheres.  I certainly would have been all excited about a 40th anniversary offering.

Geddy Lee: "I can’t go back beyond 2112 really, because that starts to get a bit hairy for me, and if I hear ‘Lakeside Park’ on the radio I cringe. What a lousy song! Still, I don’t regret anything that I’ve done!”

http://ultimateclass...ackback=tsmclip

He also expressed regret about the album on "That Metal Show".

He regards COS as their second worst album (oddly enough he regards Fly By Night as the worst - I love the album).

Oddly enough, Geddy is actually quite fond of the debut. Now, I love the debut album as well, but I don't understand how he could hate FBN but like the debut.

You may notice of course that the members of Rush tend to be somewhat inconsistent in their public remarks. For example, in the quote I cited Geddy says he can't listen to stuff prior to 2112, yet in his appearance on That Metal Show he said he thinks the debut has aged well.

They are pretty consistent however regarding their latter day disapproval of COS. It is true that they were very proud of it at the time (I actually pointed that out in my original post to which you responded), but they subsequently revised their opinions of it.

Alex doesn't seem particularly critical of those pre-2112 albums (he seems to be most critcal of the synth period stuff).

BTW, though Geddy says in BTLS that they were very proud of COS - at the time - he also suggests that their high opinion of the album at the time was clouded by the fact that they were high a lot back then. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Note also that I had nothing bad to say about the album in my post. I think there is a lot of great stuff on COS (Lakeside Park, Bastille Day, Alex's riffage on The Necromancer) but I also think it's the weakest of their first three albums.

Having said that I played the shit out of that album and like it a lot.

People change their opinions on albums all the time. Many TRFers have admitted to it. Geddy seems to have changed his mind on those early albums too. No big deal.

True dat. I change my opinions about Rush albums more frequently than I change the oil in my car.
:yes:

I used to like Snakes & Bones and now they’re at the bottom of my pile. I dislike the former and tolerate the latter.

I used to not care too much about CoS but I like it enough now. It’s not in my top 5 BUT I do like it.

#43 Permanent-Rush

Permanent-Rush

The Dream Police

• Members
  • 40571 posts
  • Interests:Tryin to get Pearl Thompson to throw Pizza in my face, also tryin to get Perry Bamonte n Boris Williams to dunk water on my head, My little Girl Mary whom is my Cure

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:14 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 06 December 2017 - 10:13 PM, said:

They might be better off doing the 40th anniversary of Archives...which is next year!

I found an original copy of that album at a record store few months ago, 15$ and in great condition!!

#44 Verena

Verena

Mood Lifter

• Members *
  • 15833 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 01:29 PM

View PostJaminbenb, on 06 December 2017 - 03:55 PM, said:

Would have been nice to finally have a live show with some of that stuff.   (and if I remember correctly, they recorded the Massey Hall shows on that tour)

A Caress Of Steel Deluxe Edition would be more than amazing!!   :D  

#45 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3955 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 02:08 PM

View PostPermanent-Rush, on 13 December 2017 - 07:14 PM, said:

They might be better off doing the 40th anniversary of Archives...which is next year!

I found an original copy of that album at a record store few months ago, 15$ and in great condition!!

Gray cover or black cover?

#46 Permanent-Rush

Permanent-Rush

The Dream Police

• Members
  • 40571 posts
  • Interests:Tryin to get Pearl Thompson to throw Pizza in my face, also tryin to get Perry Bamonte n Boris Williams to dunk water on my head, My little Girl Mary whom is my Cure

Posted 17 December 2017 - 03:41 PM

View Postytserush, on 17 December 2017 - 02:08 PM, said:

Grey

#47 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 54739 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:51 AM

View PostPermanent-Rush, on 17 December 2017 - 03:41 PM, said:

Grey
That was my first exposure to RUSH.  I borrowed my friend's copy and recorded it on Akai reel-to-reel tape.

#48 Wil1972

Wil1972

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1573 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:42 PM

If they did a COS 40th anniversary box set I would hope they would reinstate the original artwork as it was intended before it was bronzed over by a record company print error.

#49 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30605 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:54 PM

View PostWil1972, on 19 December 2017 - 07:42 PM, said:

If they did a COS 40th anniversary box set I would hope they would reinstate the original artwork as it was intended before it was bronzed over by a record company print error.

If they did a COS 40th anni box set, they’d be at least a few years late!

#50 Wil1972

Wil1972

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1573 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:57 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 19 December 2017 - 07:54 PM, said:

If they did a COS 40th anni box set, they’d be at least a few years late!

Well yea.

#51 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3955 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:59 PM

Should have happened for the 2015 reissue, but it didn't happen for whatever reason.

#52 Jaminbenb

Jaminbenb

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2892 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 10:13 PM

View Postgoose, on 18 December 2017 - 01:51 AM, said:

View PostPermanent-Rush, on 17 December 2017 - 03:41 PM, said:

Grey
That was my first exposure to RUSH.  I borrowed my friend's copy and recorded it on Akai reel-to-reel tape.

Ditto!  My totally first exposure was ATWAS at a friends house...I went home and had my mother order that and CoS from Columbia House for me.  CoS was my first Rush Studio album!

Whoever said Archives would be a great 40th Anniversary box... THAT would be interesting, since they could REALLY throw some serious odds and ends into that.  I'd mostly love to hear live tapes from the CoS tour, even if they're just personal board tapes.  We still don't have any official setlists from anything they headlined.... (Massey Hall that tour)(hint hint)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users