Jump to content


Alex played with Big Sugar in Toronto over the weekend

Lerxst play live more dammit Big Sugar Video Led Zepp cover

  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 5958 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:23 PM

Alex sat in with the band Big Sugar when they played in Toronto on Friday night, Nov. the 24th.  It's always great to see him play!  The first video is them doing a cover of "Good Times, Bad Times" from Led Zeppelin I.  The second video is Alex playing along with a Big Sugar song, RIAB says it is Ride Like Hell. ??  (I'm not very familiar with their work, but I like this song with Alex on it!). Alex plays on the the second video for about 9 minutes, then it is Big Sugar only.






Sponsored Post

#2 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

    Crushed in Rio

  • Members *
  • 8663 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:33 AM

So great to see one of the boys still active!!! I´m sad to say this, but I think that´s all we´ll live off from now, when it comes to Rush appearances...

#3 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

    Holy Tai Shan!!!

  • Members *
  • 23932 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Troll beneath the George Washington Bridge
  • Interests:American Muscle/Sports cars, Movies, New York City Subway, Cigar Lounges

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:55 AM

Thanks, ol’ sausage fingers is sounding like he still got it.

#4 bean-tor

bean-tor

    Tremendous Dynamite

  • Members *
  • 8092 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canada

Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:59 AM

Nice! I love Big Sugar :wub: so it’s cool to see Alex playing with them, and to hear that little nod to Rush at the end of the second video.  Another neat connection between Alex and Gordie (vocalist/guitarist) is that Alex gave him his first ivory doubleneck guitar, if I’m recalling that interview correctly.

#5 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1094 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada

Posted 27 November 2017 - 05:24 AM

I remember a write up in the late 90's when Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top praised Big Sugar; I believe this was in regards to the band's 1998 album 'Heated' (released in the US in 1999).

Founder Gordie Johnson is also the bassist for another Canadian trio called 'Wide Mouth Mason'.

Johnson relocated to Austin, TX in the early 2000's and formed another hard rock trio called 'Grady', which initially featured drummer Chris Layton (of Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble).

Good stuff.

On a side note, since member 'blueschica' interests are muscle cars, she might dig the import version of 'Heated' and its lime green album cover with the vintage muscle car.

The video for the song 'Diggin' A Hole' features a 1970 Dodge Charger.


Edited by RushFanForever, 27 November 2017 - 05:36 AM.


#6 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 3837 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:kalamazoo, mi
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:45 AM

Big Sugar is pretty sweet.

#7 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 5958 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:49 AM

 JohnRogers, on 27 November 2017 - 12:55 AM, said:

Thanks, ol’ sausage fingers is sounding like he still got it.
:lol:

#8 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 5958 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:51 AM

 RushFanForever, on 27 November 2017 - 05:24 AM, said:

I remember a write up in the late 90's when Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top praised Big Sugar; I believe this was in regards to the band's 1998 album 'Heated' (released in the US in 1999).

Founder Gordie Johnson is also the bassist for another Canadian trio called 'Wide Mouth Mason'.

Johnson relocated to Austin, TX in the early 2000's and formed another hard rock trio called 'Grady', which initially featured drummer Chris Layton (of Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble).

Good stuff.

On a side note, since member 'blueschica' interests are muscle cars, she might dig the import version of 'Heated' and its lime green album cover with the vintage muscle car.

The video for the song 'Diggin' A Hole' features a 1970 Dodge Charger.


Thanks!  Always up for a muscle car, although John Rogers is the Dodge/Mopar expert!

#9 MMCXII

MMCXII

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 6211 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Edmonton Alberta
  • Interests:Playing drums, creating art, building hot rods, sacred geometry and spirituality, Metal detecting, mountain biking, camping/canoeing, off roading, motorcycles.

Posted 27 November 2017 - 02:52 PM

 blueschica, on 27 November 2017 - 11:51 AM, said:

 RushFanForever, on 27 November 2017 - 05:24 AM, said:

I remember a write up in the late 90's when Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top praised Big Sugar; I believe this was in regards to the band's 1998 album 'Heated' (released in the US in 1999).

Founder Gordie Johnson is also the bassist for another Canadian trio called 'Wide Mouth Mason'.

Johnson relocated to Austin, TX in the early 2000's and formed another hard rock trio called 'Grady', which initially featured drummer Chris Layton (of Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble).

Good stuff.

On a side note, since member 'blueschica' interests are muscle cars, she might dig the import version of 'Heated' and its lime green album cover with the vintage muscle car.

The video for the song 'Diggin' A Hole' features a 1970 Dodge Charger.


Thanks!  Always up for a muscle car, although John Rogers is the Dodge/Mopar expert!

That charger looks like a 72. I think one of the band members might have a 70 though. There's definitely a mopar fan in the band, I had an album of theirs called 'Hemi-vision'

#10 canadianice

canadianice

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2983 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Stoney Creek, Ontario

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:08 PM

Big Sugar and my buddy Gordie rock, check them out, you won,t regret it.

#11 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 5958 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:32 PM

 canadianice, on 27 November 2017 - 07:08 PM, said:

Big Sugar and my buddy Gordie rock, check them out, you won,t regret it.

Thanks, Alex !!  ;)

#12 lifeson90

lifeson90

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1120 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:32 PM

Good to see Al kinda doing his thing enjoying himself but

It aint Alex Lifeson of Rush obvs

That kid must really miss workin with Ged & Neil, ordinary rock obvs not his style

Listening to a lot of Power Windows recently... that's where it's at

Outer space, another universe even

#13 thirteen

thirteen

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 859 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia
  • Interests:Guitar.
    AC/DC, Rush, Seasick Steve, SRV, Rainbow/Deep Purple.

Posted 03 December 2017 - 05:43 PM

That was schweet.

Thanks for sharing Blueschica.





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lerxst, play live more dammit, Big Sugar, Video, Led Zepp cover

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users