Is "Cygnus X-1" a metal song?

Texas King

Is "Cygnus X-1" a metal song?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Is "Cygnus X-1" a metal song?

When i first heard Rush in 78/79,i was of the opinion that they were heavy metal but there was something different.To me heavy metal was loud but basic with lyrics about either the devil or hell or getting some.At the time i was heavily into Sabbath and Yes's Going For The One album.Cygnus and Rush in general were a mix of the two at that time.I can't recall the term Prog metal being used at the time,but for me Cygnus is Prog metal.

p.s.So many younger fans tell me that all the old school metal bands aren't heavy enough to be called metal.Well ,you lot,throw out your digital processers and high output active pickup guitars and multi tracking recording and plug in to an old 70s Marshal amp and guitar with maybe a fuzz pedal and turn up to 11 and thats all you got,but it was bloody heavy.I still remember dropping the needle on Purple's Made in Japan for the first time when iwas about 12.Now that was heavy.

I said yes on this song though where I grew up, not far from the band's own Great White North, they were considered hard rock/hard prog rock, not metal; something like classic (being back in the day) Aerosmith meets Styx. But they do metal from time to time no question. Not the only example, but 2112 Overture is very metal to my ears. But these "is Rush metal" debates really boil down to how each person defines metal. It seems to depend on the music culture in which you grew up. Also, how close you get to the question. To a country-western fan, or disco fan, etc, all loud rock played by young males with long hair is "heavy metal". But if you are close to the loud music scene, you make distinctions. We don't make the same distinctions and so the endless metal or not metal argument. But so what, it beats politics.
  • Like 1

You know what, I’m moving my unsure vote into the “Yes” column (I leaned more toward yes anyway) cause when push comes to shove, it rips, it’s a kickass song, and more importantly it’s arguably their most metal song if I had to pick one (more heavier than Counterparts or CA in hindsight) but I won’t back down on my stance that heaviness doesn’t necessarily have to mean a song/band/album/etc. is metal.

I think genres of music come about through a process similar to evolution, and I don't think metal was a distinct "species" until the 1980s. To me, metal was in its "transitional fossil" phase during the 1970s. So I voted "no". CX1 was not a metal song because metal as a distinct genre didn't exist at the time CX1 was recorded. Can it be found on the path that led to metal? For damn sure.
  • Like 1

I think genres of music come about through a process similar to evolution, and I don't think metal was a distinct "species" until the 1980s. To me, metal was in its "transitional fossil" phase during the 1970s. So I voted "no". CX1 was not a metal song because metal as a distinct genre didn't exist at the time CX1 was recorded. Can it be found on the path that led to metal? For damn sure.

No disrespect intended here (I've enjoyed your posts for years), but according to this line of reasoning the original Ozzy era of Black Sabbath (1970 to 1979) wasn't heavy metal, which strikes me as absurd.

No disrespect intended here (I've enjoyed your posts for years), but according to this line of reasoning the original Ozzy era of Black Sabbath (1970 to 1979) wasn't heavy metal, which strikes me as absurd.

They don't strike me as metal. Just really heavy blues-based rock.

Sorry,although the Sabs were heavily blues based,particularly when they first started ,they were definitely heavy metal by the time of Master of Reality.I had that album in 74 when i was 12/13 years old and there was nothing heavier both in sound and the demononic riffing.Sure it all sounds a bit lightweight compared to later stuff but Sabs stuff is the benchmark for what followed.When Iron Maiden,Judas Priest,etc started happening i still found it lightweight both in production and song structure.The term 'Heavy Metal'was definitely around in the 70s.Jimmy Page hated the term and soon wandered off experimenting with other ideas.I had a jean jacket like that dude above with a Heavy Metal patch in the 70s.My first job was working in a record store where in the racks was a divider with a Heavy Metal header where Maiden,Rush and ,err,Van Halen were all lumbered together.Rock music in general has its roots in blues.

How cute - to see the opinions of those who weren't even born in 1977 talking as if they know because they have the internet and have read about it ..

Sorry kiddies, just because metal has "evolved" ( for lack of a better term ) doesn't mean Rush was not metal in 1977 or even still today ..

What once was, always will be

Now run along and play with your disposable little hand held devices and selfie sticks

http://i.imgur.com/xaDWiSB.jpg

Well said! I came to Rush via a metal band, Mastodon, giving Moving Pictures the highest praise.

Not sure how anyone could fail to note that, particularly for the time period, the music is very metal. Even reading articles from the time, mthe "metal" tag is used a lot.

Its not even an argument...just listen to Bastille Day for goodness sake!

...except that even by today's standards, everything is metal. Rush is heavy blues inspired progressive rock. Bastille Day may have been "heavy" for the time, but it isn't metal. Using that logic, bands like Nickelback and Disturbed would be metal as well. Which is far from the case. There's a fine line between "long hair man guitar solo dads drinking bud light anything that isn't 80s new wave or disco is metal" vs actual metal acts.

No. Rush has metalesque sections, but they aren't a metal band. Cygnus X-1 is certainly heavy, but not really metal. A good blend of hard rock and progressive rock.

I hope Earl doesn't kill me

Where has Earl been?

Hahaha! Don't worry Nate I'm not going to kill you! I took a nice long break. Just checking in to say hello! As I do think this track is metal it is very progressive and dynamic as well. Funny, I just played all of "A Farewell To Kings" on my drums yesterday. Love it! When I think of RUSH and METAL in the same sentence I always think of this KERRANG! magazine article I had when I was a kid. There is a quote by Neil under a black and white picture of him saying..... "I've never thought of us as a heavy metal band." So there ya go! Hope all of my friends on here are well! HAPPY HOLIDAZE AND HAVE A HAPPY NEW BEER!!!!
  • Like 2

No. Rush has metalesque sections, but they aren't a metal band. Cygnus X-1 is certainly heavy, but not really metal. A good blend of hard rock and progressive rock.

Where has Earl been?

Hahaha! Don't worry Nate I'm not going to kill you! I took a nice long break. Just checking in to say hello! As I do think this track is metal it is very progressive and dynamic as well. Funny, I just played all of "A Farewell To Kings" on my drums yesterday. Love it! When I think of RUSH and METAL in the same sentence I always think of this KERRANG! magazine article I had when I was a kid. There is a quote by Neil under a black and white picture of him saying..... "I've never thought of us as a heavy metal band." So there ya go! Hope all of my friends on here are well! HAPPY HOLIDAZE AND HAVE A HAPPY NEW BEER!!!!

Listen you RUSHIACS you better believe that it's METAL because if not I'm going to find you and drag you screaming into the light, the light from the METAL FORGE! :haz: :haz: :haz:

• Like 1

Where has Earl been?

Listen you RUSHIACS you better believe that it's METAL because if not I'm going to find you and drag you screaming into the light, the light from the METAL FORGE! :haz: :haz: :haz:

Oh man the end of this song just fuckking WREAKS METAL!!! GEDDY'S VOICE COULD SHATTER BEER MUGS MADE IN GERMANY!!! Give me chills every time! Humans who think Geddy's voice is awful on the Seventies stuff need to lay off the crystal meth and go see a dentist! LOL!
  • Like 3

Where has Earl been?

I’m gonna kill both you and Nate!

As if Neil saying that makes it true. I’ve never thought of Neil as an author but he is. I’ve never thought of Geddy as a keyboardist but he’s been one plenty of times.

• Like 3

It's heavy as hell, but it's not metal. Just my opinion - the guitar riff doesn't strike me as being a metal riff. The Necromancer riff sounds like Sabbath, but I don't consider that metal, either. Lots of tunes are super heavy without being metal. The chugging guitar riff from 2112 overture and finale are more like metal riffs.

I'll shaddap now and keep my unpopular opinions from bawderin' anybody further.

• Like 4

It's heavy as hell, but it's not metal. Just my opinion - the guitar riff doesn't strike me as being a metal riff. The Necromancer riff sounds like Sabbath, but I don't consider that metal, either. Lots of tunes are super heavy without being metal. The chugging guitar riff from 2112 overture and finale are more like metal riffs.

I'll shaddap now and keep my unpopular opinions from bawderin' anybody further.

You're not the only one who has that opinion. :)

• Like 2

Where has Earl been?

As if Neil saying that makes it true. I’ve never thought of Neil as an author but he is. I’ve never thought of Geddy as a keyboardist but he’s been one plenty of times.

Hey you son of a bitch! Who gives a fuckk!

NEIL IS GOD!!! COME ON MAN!!!!!

I don't give a shit what they call this song! IT'S A MASTERPIECE AND FUN TO PLAY TO ON THE DRUMS!!!!!

CUM ON BLAZE AND LIGHT MY FIRE!!!

You know I love you too bitch!

I bet you didn't miss me at all!

A FAREWELL TO THINGS!

• Like 1

1000% GRADE A METAL!

1000% GRADE P METAL

Fixed

PROGRESSIVE METAL

RUSH!

THE PIONEERS OF ALL MUSICAL FUSION!

KISS MY ASS!

"FACE UP" BITCHES!

Neil's drumming on the intro of "FACE UP" RULES! TOOLS!

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 1

Where has Earl been?

Hey you son of a bitch! Who gives a fuckk!

NEIL IS GOD!!! COME ON MAN!!!!!

I don't give a shit what they call this song! IT'S A MASTERPIECE AND FUN TO PLAY TO ON THE DRUMS!!!!!

CUM ON BLAZE AND LIGHT MY FIRE!!!

You know I love you too bitch!

I bet you didn't miss me at all!

A FAREWELL TO THINGS!

“Didn’t miss” you?! Nobody defends the Earl flag more valiantly than me!

When you’re not around and attackers say that you’re a drug-addicted hippie freak, I tell them adamantly, “Earl’s not a hippie!”

When other anti-Earlers were frolicking in the idea that you quit TRF, I told them, “No no no, he’s just following Steel Panther on tour up and down the west coast and will be back faster than you can say ‘Blessed and cursed’ ! “

• Like 3

1000% GRADE A METAL!

Neil's drumming on the intro of "FACE UP" RULES! TOOLS!

I had an ice cream parfait the other day which was topped with appetizing chopped nuts and a raspberry sauce. Within two bites I found the accompanying fruit to be spoiled and the ice cream itself sour.

• Like 2