Is "Cygnus X-1" a metal song?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Poll: Is "Cygnus X-1" a metal song? (47 member(s) have cast votes)

Is "Cygnus X-1" a metal song?

1. Yes (30 votes [63.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 63.83%

2. No (15 votes [31.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.91%

3. Unsure (2 votes [4.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 32655 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:27 PM

1000% GRADE A METAL!

Sponsored Post

#42 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32112 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:32 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 12 December 2017 - 05:27 PM, said:

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 26 November 2017 - 10:00 PM, said:

View PostNate2112, on 26 November 2017 - 09:51 PM, said:

No. Rush has metalesque sections, but they aren't a metal band. Cygnus X-1 is certainly heavy, but not really metal. A good blend of hard rock and progressive rock.

I hope Earl doesn't kill me

Where has Earl been?
Hahaha!  Don't worry Nate I'm not going to kill you!  I took a nice long break.  Just checking in to say hello!  As I do think this track is metal it is very progressive and dynamic as well.  Funny, I just played all of "A Farewell To Kings" on my drums yesterday.  Love it!  When I think of RUSH and METAL in the same sentence I always think of this KERRANG! magazine article I had when I was a kid.  There is a quote by Neil under a black and white picture of him saying.....  "I've never thought of us as a heavy metal band."  So there ya go!  Hope all of my friends on here are well!  HAPPY HOLIDAZE AND HAVE A HAPPY NEW BEER!!!!

I’m gonna kill both you and Nate!

As if Neil saying that makes it true. I’ve never thought of Neil as an author but he is. I’ve never thought of Geddy as a keyboardist but he’s been one plenty of times.

#43 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6500 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:43 PM

It's heavy as hell, but it's not metal.  Just my opinion - the guitar riff doesn't strike me as being a metal riff.  The Necromancer riff sounds like Sabbath, but I don't consider that metal, either.  Lots of tunes are super heavy without being metal.  The chugging guitar riff from 2112 overture and finale are more like metal riffs.

I'll shaddap now and keep my unpopular opinions from bawderin' anybody further.

#44 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 20587 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:37 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 12 December 2017 - 06:43 PM, said:

It's heavy as hell, but it's not metal.  Just my opinion - the guitar riff doesn't strike me as being a metal riff.  The Necromancer riff sounds like Sabbath, but I don't consider that metal, either.  Lots of tunes are super heavy without being metal.  The chugging guitar riff from 2112 overture and finale are more like metal riffs.

I'll shaddap now and keep my unpopular opinions from bawderin' anybody further.

You're not the only one who has that opinion. :)

#45 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 32655 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:17 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 12 December 2017 - 06:32 PM, said:

No. Rush has metalesque sections, but they aren't a metal band. Cygnus X-1 is certainly heavy, but not really metal. A good blend of hard rock and progressive rock.

Where has Earl been?
Hahaha!  Don't worry Nate I'm not going to kill you!  I took a nice long break.  Just checking in to say hello!  As I do think this track is metal it is very progressive and dynamic as well.  Funny, I just played all of "A Farewell To Kings" on my drums yesterday.  Love it!  When I think of RUSH and METAL in the same sentence I always think of this KERRANG! magazine article I had when I was a kid.  There is a quote by Neil under a black and white picture of him saying.....  "I've never thought of us as a heavy metal band."  So there ya go!  Hope all of my friends on here are well!  HAPPY HOLIDAZE AND HAVE A HAPPY NEW BEER!!!!

As if Neil saying that makes it true. I’ve never thought of Neil as an author but he is. I’ve never thought of Geddy as a keyboardist but he’s been one plenty of times.

Hey you son of a bitch! Who gives a fuckk!

NEIL IS GOD!!! COME ON MAN!!!!!

I don't give a shit what they call this song!  IT'S A MASTERPIECE AND FUN TO PLAY TO ON THE DRUMS!!!!!

CUM ON BLAZE AND LIGHT MY FIRE!!!

You know I love you too bitch!

I bet you didn't miss me at all!

A FAREWELL TO THINGS!

#46 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 32655 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:19 AM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 12 December 2017 - 06:27 PM, said:

1000% GRADE A METAL!

1000% GRADE P METAL

Fixed

PROGRESSIVE METAL

RUSH!

THE PIONEERS OF ALL MUSICAL FUSION!

KISS MY ASS!

"FACE UP" BITCHES!

Neil's drumming on the intro of "FACE UP" RULES! TOOLS!

Edited by RUSHHEAD666, 13 December 2017 - 01:19 AM.

#47 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 32655 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:20 AM

"If I could only reach that diamond side....."

KING DIAMOND!

#48 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 32655 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:21 AM

I will always be your "Wild Card" Johnny Purple Haze!

I'm "All Along The Watchtower."

Signed,

BOB DYLAN

#49 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32112 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:34 AM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 13 December 2017 - 01:17 AM, said:

Where has Earl been?

I don't give a shit what they call this song!  IT'S A MASTERPIECE AND FUN TO PLAY TO ON THE DRUMS!!!!!

A FAREWELL TO THINGS!

“Didn’t miss” you?! Nobody defends the Earl flag more valiantly than me!

When you’re not around and attackers say that you’re a drug-addicted hippie freak, I tell them adamantly, “Earl’s not a hippie!”

When other anti-Earlers were frolicking in the idea that you quit TRF, I told them, “No no no, he’s just following Steel Panther on tour up and down the west coast and will be back faster than you can say ‘Blessed and cursed’ ! “

#50 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32112 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:39 AM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 13 December 2017 - 01:19 AM, said:

1000% GRADE A METAL!

I had an ice cream parfait the other day which was topped with appetizing chopped nuts and a raspberry sauce. Within two bites I found the accompanying fruit to be spoiled and the ice cream itself sour.

#51 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 32655 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:43 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 13 December 2017 - 03:34 AM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 13 December 2017 - 01:17 AM, said:

Where has Earl been?

A FAREWELL TO THINGS!

“Didn’t miss” you?! Nobody defends the Earl flag more valiantly than me!

When you’re not around and attackers say that you’re a drug-addicted hippie freak, I tell them adamantly, “Earl’s not a hippie!”

When other anti-Earlers were frolicking in the idea that you quit TRF, I told them, “No no no, he’s just following Steel Panther on tour up and down the west coast and will be back faster than you can say ‘Blessed and cursed’ ! “

HAHAHAHAHA!!!  f**k man, you have a friend forever!!  Me a Hippy Freak?  That is ironic as I am a conservative.    Fuckk yes!  I love Steel Panther!  Flying up to Vancouver and Seattle to see my buddy in March.  UDO AND STEEL PANTHER BABY!  Perhaps a few strip clubs too!

I will never quit this forum.

Fuckk the haters.  I love being me.

Until 73 bans me then fukk it.

I will never change.

I will have your back Johnny "Beneath Between And Behind."   LOL!

#52 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 32655 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:44 AM

Anti-Earl Haters make me so positive.

#53 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 32655 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:45 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 13 December 2017 - 03:39 AM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 13 December 2017 - 01:19 AM, said:

1000% GRADE A METAL!

I had an ice cream parfait the other day which was topped with appetizing chopped nuts and a raspberry sauce. Within two bites I found the accompanying fruit to be spoiled and the ice cream itself sour.

Oh man.

I could take 5 years off from this forum and you and I would just begin again where we left off.

I get it.

I LOVE YOU MAN!  

;)

#54 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 88013 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:57 AM

Metallic comments. :dweez: <<<< Metal Alien

#55 Permanent-Rush

Permanent-Rush

The Dream Police

• Members
  • 46401 posts
  • Interests:R.E.M., Bill Berry, Mike Mills, Michael Stipe, Peter Buck ,Hanging out with my best friends Heather Sylv and Jas, Drawing and drumming, thinking about life, photography, listening to music, writing.

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:11 PM

I don't think so. Rush is Prog Rock/Hard Rock imo and they haven't dabbed into Metal on any of there songs.

#56 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 34813 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    Type O Negative
    Machine Head
    Mastodon
    Trivium
    Metallica
    Jimmy Eat World
    The Juliana Theory
    Bruce Springsteen

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:05 AM

View PostNate2112, on 12 December 2017 - 05:13 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 27 November 2017 - 02:01 PM, said:

View PostLucas, on 27 November 2017 - 01:15 PM, said:

How cute - to see the opinions of those who weren't even born in 1977 talking as if they know because they have the internet and have read about it ..

Sorry kiddies, just because metal has "evolved" ( for lack of a better term ) doesn't mean Rush was not metal in 1977 or even still today ..

What once was, always will be

Now run along and play with your disposable little hand held devices and selfie sticks

Posted Image

Well said! I came to Rush via a metal band, Mastodon, giving Moving Pictures the highest praise.

Not sure how anyone could fail to note that, particularly for the time period, the music is very metal. Even reading articles from the time, mthe "metal" tag is used a lot.

Its not even an argument...just listen to Bastille Day for goodness sake!

...except that even by today's standards, everything is metal. Rush is heavy blues inspired progressive rock. Bastille Day may have been "heavy" for the time, but it isn't metal. Using that logic, bands like Nickelback and Disturbed would be metal as well. Which is far from the case. There's a fine line between "long hair man guitar solo dads drinking bud light anything that isn't 80s new wave or disco is metal" vs actual metal acts.

Disturbed is metal...Nickelback are shit but have metal moments.

#57 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 4513 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:09 AM

You can mosh to it, so it's metal. It just takes a little time to get to the moshing part.

#58 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Oracle

• Members
  • 11115 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:13 AM

View PostSegue Myles, on 14 December 2017 - 05:05 AM, said:

View PostNate2112, on 12 December 2017 - 05:13 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 27 November 2017 - 02:01 PM, said:

View PostLucas, on 27 November 2017 - 01:15 PM, said:

How cute - to see the opinions of those who weren't even born in 1977 talking as if they know because they have the internet and have read about it ..

Sorry kiddies, just because metal has "evolved" ( for lack of a better term ) doesn't mean Rush was not metal in 1977 or even still today ..

What once was, always will be

Now run along and play with your disposable little hand held devices and selfie sticks

Posted Image

Well said! I came to Rush via a metal band, Mastodon, giving Moving Pictures the highest praise.

Not sure how anyone could fail to note that, particularly for the time period, the music is very metal. Even reading articles from the time, mthe "metal" tag is used a lot.

Its not even an argument...just listen to Bastille Day for goodness sake!

...except that even by today's standards, everything is metal. Rush is heavy blues inspired progressive rock. Bastille Day may have been "heavy" for the time, but it isn't metal. Using that logic, bands like Nickelback and Disturbed would be metal as well. Which is far from the case. There's a fine line between "long hair man guitar solo dads drinking bud light anything that isn't 80s new wave or disco is metal" vs actual metal acts.

Disturbed is metal...Nickelback are shit but have metal moments.

Yeah, when has Disturbed ever been considered anything else? Sure, they've gotten more poppy sounding as time went by but they've always been metal.

Nickelback is one of the many bands who dip into some metal without ever going completely in.

#59 Rutlefan

Rutlefan

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 2098 posts
  • Interests:Things that roll and fly, Tolkien, baseball (depressingly fatalistic Tribe fan), classic sci-fi, history and such

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:37 PM

Where has Earl been?

Wasn't just Neil; Geddy has said this as well. That is, they they never thought of themselves as metal, even though many called them that early on, but rather they saw themselves as a hard rock band.

Doesn't mean Neil and Geddy are right, though I think they are (doesn't mean I don't recognize that played many metal riffs), but that's how they see/saw themselves.

And at least where I grew up, "Heavy Metal" was by the mid-'70s used to describe a certain kind of very heavy rock, but it wasn't meant for all very heavy/hard rock.  From this forum it would seem the understanding was different from place to place. My understanding, and I was more in tune than most, even as a young kid, was that Sabbath, Deep Purple, etc etc was heavy metal, whereas Aerosmith, The Who, etc was hard rock (bands like UFO and AC/DC were in both camps, whereas Zeppelin was there own unique thing really; no one could ever pigeon hole them, they were just "Zeppelin", which is why there's never been another Zeppelin I suppose). By the time the '80s hit and people were really categorizing types of metal I had lost any/all interest, but I remember it as a kid in the '70s as being a particular thing.

Edited by Rutlefan, 14 December 2017 - 05:47 PM.

#60 Texas King

Texas King

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1859 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 07:55 AM

View Posttoymaker, on 12 December 2017 - 06:43 PM, said:

It's heavy as hell, but it's not metal.  Just my opinion - the guitar riff doesn't strike me as being a metal riff.  The Necromancer riff sounds like Sabbath, but I don't consider that metal, either.  Lots of tunes are super heavy without being metal.  The chugging guitar riff from 2112 overture and finale are more like metal riffs.I'll shaddap now and keep my unpopular opinions from bawderin' anybody further.
If Cygnus X-1 is not metal, then most of tracks on the album Sabbath Bloody Sabbath(A National Acrobat, Sabbra Cadabra, Killing Yourself to Live, Who Are You?), Megalomania and The Writ are not metal.

Edited by Texas King, 15 December 2017 - 07:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users