Is "Cygnus X-1" a metal song?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: Is "Cygnus X-1" a metal song? (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Is "Cygnus X-1" a metal song?

1. Yes (27 votes [65.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 65.85%

2. No (13 votes [31.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.71%

3. Unsure (1 votes [2.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 10893 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:15 PM

How cute - to see the opinions of those who weren't even born in 1977 talking as if they know because they have the internet and have read about it ..

Sorry kiddies, just because metal has "evolved" ( for lack of a better term ) doesn't mean Rush was not metal in 1977 or even still today ..

What once was, always will be

Now run along and play with your disposable little hand held devices and selfie sticks

Posted Image

Edited by Lucas, 27 November 2017 - 01:15 PM.

Sponsored Post

#22 rocket ignites

rocket ignites

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5610 posts
  • Interests:Poker. Minnesota Vikings/Twins/T-Wolves. Being a glass half-full advocate for post 1982 Rush.

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:34 PM

It scared the bejeezus outta me the first time I listened to it so...yeah.

#23 rocket ignites

rocket ignites

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5610 posts
  • Interests:Poker. Minnesota Vikings/Twins/T-Wolves. Being a glass half-full advocate for post 1982 Rush.

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:38 PM

View PostLucas, on 27 November 2017 - 01:15 PM, said:

How cute - to see the opinions of those who weren't even born in 1977 talking as if they know because they have the internet and have read about it ..

Sorry kiddies, just because metal has "evolved" ( for lack of a better term ) doesn't mean Rush was not metal in 1977 or even still today ..

Now run along and play with your disposable little hand held devices and selfie sticks

Posted Image

Hell of a post...well said.

#24 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42714 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:49 PM

No

#25 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 32389 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 27 November 2017 - 02:01 PM

View PostLucas, on 27 November 2017 - 01:15 PM, said:

Posted Image

Well said! I came to Rush via a metal band, Mastodon, giving Moving Pictures the highest praise.

Not sure how anyone could fail to note that, particularly for the time period, the music is very metal. Even reading articles from the time, mthe "metal" tag is used a lot.

Its not even an argument...just listen to Bastille Day for goodness sake!

#26 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21801 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:53 PM

Sure, if you have to label it.

#27 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:43 PM

When i first heard Rush in 78/79,i was of the opinion that they were heavy metal but there was something different.To me heavy metal was loud but basic with lyrics about either the devil or hell or getting some.At the time i was heavily into Sabbath and Yes's Going For The One album.Cygnus and Rush in general were a mix of the two at that time.I can't recall the term Prog metal being used at the time,but for me Cygnus is Prog metal.
p.s.So many younger fans tell me that all the old school metal bands aren't heavy enough to be called metal.Well ,you lot,throw out your digital processers and high output active pickup guitars and multi tracking recording and plug in to an old 70s Marshal amp and guitar with maybe a fuzz pedal and turn up to 11 and thats all you got,but it was bloody heavy.I still remember dropping the needle on Purple's Made in Japan for the first time when iwas about 12.Now that was heavy.

#28 Rutlefan

Rutlefan

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1940 posts
  • Interests:Things that roll and fly, esp. Alfa Romeo (God I love Alfas; it's an illness); Tolkien, classic sci-fi, history and such

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:06 PM

I said yes on this song though where I grew up, not far from the band's own Great White North, they were considered hard rock/hard prog rock, not metal; something like classic (being back in the day) Aerosmith meets Styx. But they do metal from time to time no question. Not the only example, but 2112 Overture is very metal to my ears. But these "is Rush metal" debates really boil down to how each person defines metal. It seems to depend on the music culture in which you grew up. Also, how close you get to the question. To a country-western fan, or disco fan, etc, all loud rock played by young males with long hair is "heavy metal". But if you are close to the loud music scene, you make distinctions. We don't make the same distinctions and so the endless metal or not metal argument. But so what, it beats politics.

#29 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

Vapor Trail

• Members
  • 18445 posts
  • Interests:NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:20 PM

You know what, I’m moving my unsure vote into the “Yes” column (I leaned more toward yes anyway) cause when push comes to shove, it rips, it’s a kickass song, and more importantly it’s arguably their most metal song if I had to pick one (more heavier than Counterparts or CA in hindsight) but I won’t back down on my stance that heaviness doesn’t necessarily have to mean a song/band/album/etc. is metal.

#30 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 19047 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:39 PM

I think genres of music come about through a process similar to evolution, and I don't think metal was a distinct "species" until the 1980s. To me, metal was in its "transitional fossil" phase during the 1970s. So I voted "no". CX1 was not a metal song because metal as a distinct genre didn't exist at the time CX1 was recorded. Can it be found on the path that led to metal? For damn sure.

#31 djflex

djflex

The Professor

• Members
  • 3840 posts
  • Interests:Doing the tasks the voices in my head tell me to do

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:14 PM

View PostLurkst, on 27 November 2017 - 09:22 AM, said:

View Postdjflex, on 26 November 2017 - 07:41 PM, said:

Yes metal, but i can still dance to it

I'd love to see that routine!

It is mostly tap, with some jazz hands thrown in

#32 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9390 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:57 AM

Metal for sure.

And so were their fans back then....

#33 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9390 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:58 AM

View Postdjflex, on 29 November 2017 - 09:14 PM, said:

View PostLurkst, on 27 November 2017 - 09:22 AM, said:

View Postdjflex, on 26 November 2017 - 07:41 PM, said:

Yes metal, but i can still dance to it

I'd love to see that routine!

It is mostly tap, with some jazz hands thrown in

In a spinning and whirling manner while still descending?

#34 rftag

rftag

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, travel, science, philosophy, wildlife, skepticism, belief systems, consciousness

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:51 PM

View PostJARG, on 29 November 2017 - 12:39 PM, said:

I think genres of music come about through a process similar to evolution, and I don't think metal was a distinct "species" until the 1980s. To me, metal was in its "transitional fossil" phase during the 1970s. So I voted "no". CX1 was not a metal song because metal as a distinct genre didn't exist at the time CX1 was recorded. Can it be found on the path that led to metal? For damn sure.

No disrespect intended here (I've enjoyed your posts for years), but according to this line of reasoning the original Ozzy era of Black Sabbath (1970 to 1979) wasn't heavy metal, which strikes me as absurd.

#35 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 19047 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:37 AM

rftag, on 30 November 2017 - 05:51 PM, said:

JARG, on 29 November 2017 - 12:39 PM, said:

No disrespect intended here (I've enjoyed your posts for years), but according to this line of reasoning the original Ozzy era of Black Sabbath (1970 to 1979) wasn't heavy metal, which strikes me as absurd.

They don't strike me as metal. Just really heavy blues-based rock.

#36 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:43 PM

Sorry,although the Sabs were heavily blues based,particularly when they first started ,they were definitely heavy metal by the time of Master of Reality.I had that album in 74 when i was 12/13 years old and there was nothing heavier both in sound and the demononic riffing.Sure it all sounds a bit lightweight compared to later stuff but Sabs stuff is the benchmark for what followed.When Iron Maiden,Judas Priest,etc started happening i still found it lightweight both in production and song structure.The term 'Heavy Metal'was definitely around in the 70s.Jimmy Page hated the term and soon wandered off experimenting with other ideas.I had a jean jacket like that dude above with a Heavy Metal patch in the 70s.My first job was working in a record store where in the racks was a divider with a Heavy Metal header where Maiden,Rush and ,err,Van Halen were all lumbered together.Rock music in general has its roots in blues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users