Presto - First Reaction

Lorraine

I do. I was in the 11th grade and it was my first Rush album because it had just come out. I had a friend at school who got me into the band and he made me a mix tape (remember those?) that focused mostly on their hits and their 74-82 period. So when I got Presto I was shocked. Sounded nothing like what I expected. I thought, Wow! These guys mellowed way out! I liked Show Don't Tell, The Pass, Presto and Superconductor, but it took me a loooong time to begin the process of appreciating the album more. I think it took really listening to them in chronological order - which happened shortly thereafter when Chronicles made a timely appearance - and then I started to get it. BUT ... I still thought, Their better days are behind them... They are old and soft now. Then RtB came out and my heart sank more. But then CP appeared and it was like, Hey! They rediscovered their balls! :laughing guy:
  • Like 4

From another thread:

I remember buying it the day it came out. Ran to my dorm room. Put it in the cd and rocked out approvingly to Show Don’t Tell...and then sat there speechless as the crap started to ooze out of the CD player. Mostly awful songs. Awful production. Awful album. It still stings a little how much this album disappoints me.

• Like 5

From another thread:

I remember buying it the day it came out. Ran to my dorm room. Put it in the cd and rocked out approvingly to Show Don’t Tell...and then sat there speechless as the crap started to ooze out of the CD player. Mostly awful songs. Awful production. Awful album. It still stings a little how much this album disappoints me.

Haven't you come to appreciate any of it after all this time?

I think it was supposed to be the "guitar comeback" album after the synth era albums. Alex did reintroduce prominent acoustic guitar parts so that was an interesting aspect.

Alex's guitar on The Pass is some of his most emotional.

It's really not that bad of an album. I even like War Paint now and I didn't before.

• Like 3

I think it was supposed to be the "guitar comeback" album after the synth era albums. Alex did reintroduce prominent acoustic guitar parts so that was an interesting aspect.

Alex's guitar on The Pass is some of his most emotional.

It's really not that bad of an album. I even like War Paint now and I didn't before.

There's some good songs but some real stinkers as well.

• Like 1

My first reaction upon hearing the album: Skipping through the songs after the first 30 seconds of waiting for something interesting

My first reaction after hearing the first 30 seconds of each song? I'm never buying another Rush album ever.

• Like 3

My first reaction upon hearing the album: Skipping through the songs after the first 30 seconds of waiting for something interesting

My first reaction after hearing the first 30 seconds of each song? I'm never buying another Rush album ever.

Did you buy another one after that?

I think CA was the first studio album I bought after Presto.

• Like 1

Does anyone here remember their first reaction to the album when it came out?

Not really. I just remember really dig it. GUP was jarring to me, nothing I expected after PeW, MP, and Signals. Power Windows smoothed things out, I dug the sound. Then the HYF follow up. So Presto is just what I wanted, I had matured becoming a man. No longer living off the meat of Heavy Metal.

• Like 1

Not really. I just remember really dig it. GUP was jarring to me, nothing I expected after PeW, MP, and Signals. Power Windows smoothed things out, I dug the sound. Then the HYF follow up. So Presto is just what I wanted, I had matured becoming a man. No longer living off the meat of Heavy Metal.

Are you serious or are you pulling my leg? It's hard to tell with you.

Are you serious or are you pulling my leg? It's hard to tell with you.

Totes literally serious.

Don't you think you're missing out on not hearing Roll the Bones and Snakes & Arrows? :16ton:

• Like 1

I bought Presto when it first came out and I distinctly remember saying out loud during the first listen...

"What the f#%@ happened to my favourite band?"

I remember thinking, it's ok, but not digging it and thinking it was time for them to throw in the towel.

I'm happy they didn't, of course.

Over the years, the album has grown on me a bit.

I quite like the Audio Fidelity & SHM versions.

It just goes to show, a weak album by Rush is still better than a strong album by most bands.

• Like 6

Don't you think you're missing out on not hearing Roll the Bones and Snakes & Arrows? :16ton:

Oh yeah, I did buy RTB after I heard Dreamline on the radio. After that, it was CA.

I was also disappointed in RTB and learned my lesson there (though Dreamline is a great song, IMO).

S&A is as bad as Presto; even though Far Cry is better than anything on Presto, the dirgelike nature and preachy lyrics on S&A drags it down to Presto levels.

• Like 2

I bought Presto when it first came out and I distinctly remember saying out loud during the first listen...

I remember thinking, it's ok, but not digging it and thinking it was time for them to throw in the towel.

It just goes to show, a weak album by Rush is still better than a strong album by most bands.

You have to give them credit for going out on a limb with the album.

I couldn't take a steady diet of it (all the songs start to sound the same after while), but it's good to listen to every once in a while.

• Like 1

You have to give them credit for going out on a limb with the album.

I couldn't take a steady diet of it (all the songs start to sound the same after while), but it's good to listen to every once in a while.

:oops: Almost forgot the point of my post was to say that I agree with what you said - "...a weak album by Rush is still better than a strong album by most bands."

• Like 1

I was born 14 years after the album came out so I obviously can't say anything about buying it when it was first released. The first song I heard off of Presto was The Pass from Rush in Rio. I ignored it since I didn't know the song and I couldn't be bothered with material I didn't recognize. Eventually, I decide to listen to it and I fall in love with it. I can't remember everything else after that with the rest of the album but I gradually bought songs off of iTunes until I completed the album. I consider this album to be in my top 10 Rush albums and I will listen to this album until the day I die.
  • Like 4