Jump to content


Presto - First Reaction


  • Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#21 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42714 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:44 PM

View PostReGorLaTroy, on 22 November 2017 - 05:31 PM, said:

I bought Presto when it first came out and I distinctly remember saying out loud during the first listen...

"What the f#%@ happened to my favourite band?"

I remember thinking, it's ok, but not digging it and thinking it was time for them to throw in the towel.

I'm happy they didn't, of course.

Over the years, the album has grown on me a bit.

I quite like the Audio Fidelity & SHM versions.

It just goes to show, a weak album by Rush is still better than a strong album by most bands.

You have to give them credit for going out on a limb with the album.

I couldn't take a steady diet of it (all the songs start to sound the same after while), but it's good to listen to every once in a while.

Sponsored Post

#22 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42714 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:46 PM

View PostLorraine, on 22 November 2017 - 05:44 PM, said:

View PostReGorLaTroy, on 22 November 2017 - 05:31 PM, said:

I bought Presto when it first came out and I distinctly remember saying out loud during the first listen...

"What the f#%@ happened to my favourite band?"

I remember thinking, it's ok, but not digging it and thinking it was time for them to throw in the towel.

I'm happy they didn't, of course.

Over the years, the album has grown on me a bit.

I quite like the Audio Fidelity & SHM versions.

It just goes to show, a weak album by Rush is still better than a strong album by most bands.

You have to give them credit for going out on a limb with the album.

I couldn't take a steady diet of it (all the songs start to sound the same after while), but it's good to listen to every once in a while.

:oops:   Almost forgot the point of my post was to say that I agree with what you said - "...a weak album by Rush is still better than a strong album by most bands."

#23 BenjaminW

BenjaminW

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 73 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:San Francisco, California
  • Interests:Music and History

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:49 PM

I was born 14 years after the album came out so I obviously can't say anything about buying it when it was first released. The first song I heard off of Presto was The Pass from Rush in Rio. I ignored it since I didn't know the song and I couldn't be bothered with material I didn't recognize. Eventually, I decide to listen to it and I fall in love with it. I can't remember everything else after that with the rest of the album but I gradually bought songs off of iTunes until I completed the album. I consider this album to be in my top 10 Rush albums and I will listen to this album until the day I die.

#24 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 84464 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:57 PM

Why Presto anyway, why didn't you ask about any other of the RUSH albums?

#25 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42714 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:02 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 22 November 2017 - 05:57 PM, said:

Why Presto anyway, why didn't you ask about any other of the RUSH albums?
Because it's Presto's anniversary.

I've asked about other Rush albums over the years.

Edited by Lorraine, 22 November 2017 - 06:02 PM.


#26 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 84464 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:03 PM

View PostLorraine, on 22 November 2017 - 06:02 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 22 November 2017 - 05:57 PM, said:

Why Presto anyway, why didn't you ask about any other of the RUSH albums?
Because it's Presto's anniversary.

I've asked about other Rush albums over the years.
Oh you little peaky nik-nik!

#27 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42714 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:03 PM

I could edit this into a first reaction thread to any Rush album.

#28 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42714 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:04 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 22 November 2017 - 06:03 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 22 November 2017 - 06:02 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 22 November 2017 - 05:57 PM, said:

Why Presto anyway, why didn't you ask about any other of the RUSH albums?
Because it's Presto's anniversary.

I've asked about other Rush albums over the years.
Oh you little peaky nik-nik!
Eh?

#29 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 84464 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:11 PM

View PostLorraine, on 22 November 2017 - 06:04 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 22 November 2017 - 06:03 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 22 November 2017 - 06:02 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 22 November 2017 - 05:57 PM, said:

Why Presto anyway, why didn't you ask about any other of the RUSH albums?
Because it's Presto's anniversary.

I've asked about other Rush albums over the years.
Oh you little peaky nik-nik!
Eh?
Spontaneous.

#30 rocket ignites

rocket ignites

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 5619 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Duluth, MN
  • Interests:Poker. Minnesota Vikings/Twins/T-Wolves. Being a glass half-full advocate for post 1982 Rush.

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:14 PM

The singles drew me in first.  Bought the album.  Next I bought  A Show of Hands (vhs and album).  Over the next few years I purchased the entire Rush catalog.  It was a great time of music discovery.

#31 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42714 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:16 PM

View Postrocket ignites, on 22 November 2017 - 06:14 PM, said:

The singles drew me in first.  Bought the album.  Next I bought  A Show of Hands (vhs and album).  Over the next few years I purchased the entire Rush catalog.  It was a great time of music discovery.
It is wonderful when you discover a band.  When I came  here, the only albums I was familiar with were MP and Grace and a few other songs here and there.  My memories attached to all of Rush's albums mostly have to do with my five years here because it was here that I first heard most of their albums.  It's quite an adventure.

Edited by Lorraine, 22 November 2017 - 06:18 PM.


#32 rocket ignites

rocket ignites

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 5619 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Duluth, MN
  • Interests:Poker. Minnesota Vikings/Twins/T-Wolves. Being a glass half-full advocate for post 1982 Rush.

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:22 PM

View PostLorraine, on 22 November 2017 - 06:16 PM, said:

View Postrocket ignites, on 22 November 2017 - 06:14 PM, said:

The singles drew me in first.  Bought the album.  Next I bought  A Show of Hands (vhs and album).  Over the next few years I purchased the entire Rush catalog.  It was a great time of music discovery.
It is wonderful when you discover a band.  When I came  here, the only albums I was familiar with were MP and Grace and a few other songs here and there.  My memories attached to all of Rush's albums mostly have to do with my five years here.
Yes, discovery and the ride to follow is an amazing thing.  I was mildly aware of Rush back in those days, but it was just the right time in my life (1989-90) to have their music impact my life.

#33 The Cat 3

The Cat 3

    Modern Day Alice Cooper

  • Members *
  • 12828 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:53rd & 3rd

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:38 PM

View PostLorraine, on 22 November 2017 - 05:44 PM, said:

View PostReGorLaTroy, on 22 November 2017 - 05:31 PM, said:

I bought Presto when it first came out and I distinctly remember saying out loud during the first listen...

"What the f#%@ happened to my favourite band?"

I remember thinking, it's ok, but not digging it and thinking it was time for them to throw in the towel.

I'm happy they didn't, of course.

Over the years, the album has grown on me a bit.

I quite like the Audio Fidelity & SHM versions.

It just goes to show, a weak album by Rush is still better than a strong album by most bands.

You have to give them credit for going out on a limb with the album.

I couldn't take a steady diet of it (all the songs start to sound the same after while), but it's good to listen to every once in a while.
They sounded a little lost musically. It was if they were going through an identity crisis. They were trying to respond to changing musical landscape instead of just being Rush. Love 'em or hate 'em, that's what I love about Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels...Rush was making music they "wanted to make" instead of making  music they "had to make" to keep up with the trends at the time. The last two albums were, in my opinion, made on their own terms with little regard to record sales with brilliant results.

Edited by ReGorLaTroy, 22 November 2017 - 06:39 PM.


#34 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42714 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:40 PM

I'm going to sneak this in the thread.




:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

4:27 has to be the most majestic and triumphant moment in any song.

Edited by Lorraine, 22 November 2017 - 06:43 PM.


#35 theredtamasrule

theredtamasrule

    The Elitist Booby Type

  • Members
  • 8918 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Central KY

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:48 PM

View PostLorraine, on 22 November 2017 - 04:43 PM, said:

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 22 November 2017 - 04:41 PM, said:

From another thread:

I remember buying it the day it came out. Ran to my dorm room. Put it in the cd and rocked out approvingly to Show Don’t Tell...and then sat there speechless as the crap started to ooze out of the CD player. Mostly awful songs. Awful production. Awful album. It still stings a little how much this album disappoints me.
Haven't you come to appreciate any of it after all this time?

No. Indeed time has only increased my conviction that Presto is an uninspired milksop of an album to which I give no quarter.

#36 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42714 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:50 PM

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 22 November 2017 - 06:48 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 22 November 2017 - 04:43 PM, said:

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 22 November 2017 - 04:41 PM, said:

From another thread:

I remember buying it the day it came out. Ran to my dorm room. Put it in the cd and rocked out approvingly to Show Don’t Tell...and then sat there speechless as the crap started to ooze out of the CD player. Mostly awful songs. Awful production. Awful album. It still stings a little how much this album disappoints me.
Haven't you come to appreciate any of it after all this time?

No. Indeed time has only increased my conviction that Presto is an uninspired milksop of an album to which I give no quarter.
:lol:

#37 bordercollie

bordercollie

    Prime Mover

  • Members *
  • 652 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:00 PM

Became a fan in 96. Got it in 97.  Listened once and tossed it aside for like 8 months.  Then, grew to appreciate it.  Now, it's probably a middle of the pack album, but one of my favorites to listen to all the way through.

#38 Wil1972

Wil1972

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1483 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alabama

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:00 PM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 22 November 2017 - 05:39 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 22 November 2017 - 05:29 PM, said:

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 22 November 2017 - 05:13 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 22 November 2017 - 05:08 PM, said:

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 22 November 2017 - 04:57 PM, said:

My first reaction upon hearing the album:   Skipping through the songs after the first 30 seconds of waiting for something interesting

My first reaction after hearing the first 30 seconds of each song?    I'm never buying another Rush album ever.
Did you buy another one after that?
I think CA was the first studio album I bought after Presto.
Don't you think you're missing out on not hearing Roll the Bones and Snakes & Arrows? :16ton:
Oh yeah, I did buy RTB after I heard Dreamline on the radio.    After that, it was CA.

I was also disappointed in RTB and learned my lesson there (though Dreamline is a great song, IMO).

S&A is as bad as Presto; even though Far Cry is better than anything on Presto, the dirgelike nature and preachy lyrics on S&A drags it down to Presto levels.

I've come to appreciate Presto and I like most of it; the same cannot be said for SnA. Your criticisms of that album mirror mine.

#39 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42714 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:16 PM

What's wrong with Snakes?  I was shamed into listening to that album again by a TRF member.  I thought the album was so bad the first time, I vowed to never listen to it again.

But the second time was a charm.  :)

#40 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 3644 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:QueenRushMuseYeah! Oh and MtG.

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:19 PM

I quite liked hearing it the first time I did. Thought it was a definite improvement over HYF.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users