Presto - First Reaction

Lorraine

When Presto came out i was not impressed by it. I had become a fan when HYF came out I loved that album and Power Windows. I then started to collect Rush's other albums and loved some (e.g. 2112, ATWAS), did not like some others (e.g. CoS, ESL) and was still trying to figure some other albums out. I was also really into late 80's metal (Priest, Maiden, DL, G&R). When Presto came out I listened to it, hoped I would get Rush doing another 2112 (or Screaming for Vengance or Pyromania) and was just like "this is so blah". I guess the title track I liked. Other than that I did not like it. Did not hate it but definitely did not like it.

Forward to RTB and I really liked RTB when it came out, esp. Dreamline & Bravado. Counterparts I called Counterfarts and disliked. T$E was ok but not great. VT I disliked (and still hate it).

It was after seeing Rush in Rio and "The Pass" that I when back and started to listen to Presto again and was shocked at how good it was. Somehow I had totally missed how great it was. In addition, I started to realized that RTB was actually very weak (other than Dreamline & Bravado which I still love) but that Counterparts is wonderful. My feelings about Counterparts and Presto grew much stronger after (the wonderful) S & came out and I saw Rush play Presto live.

So my initial reaction was negative but over the years I have grown to love it. Wonderful album. Not only would I say their are no weak songs on it, I would say that every song on it is very good.

• Like 2

When Presto came out i was not impressed by it. I had become a fan when HYF came out I loved that album and Power Windows. I then started to collect Rush's other albums and loved some (e.g. 2112, ATWAS), did not like some others (e.g. CoS, ESL) and was still trying to figure some other albums out. I was also really into late 80's metal (Priest, Maiden, DL, G&R). When Presto came out I listened to it, hoped I would get Rush doing another 2112 (or Screaming for Vengance or Pyromania) and was just like "this is so blah". I guess the title track I liked. Other than that I did not like it. Did not hate it but definitely did not like it.

Forward to RTB and I really liked RTB when it came out, esp. Dreamline & Bravado. Counterparts I called Counterfarts and disliked. T$E was ok but not great. VT I disliked (and still hate it).

It was after seeing Rush in Rio and "The Pass" that I when back and started to listen to Presto again and was shocked at how good it was. Somehow I had totally missed how great it was. In addition, I started to realized that RTB was actually very weak (other than Dreamline & Bravado which I still love) but that Counterparts is wonderful. My feelings about Counterparts and Presto grew much stronger after (the wonderful) S & came out and I saw Rush play Presto live.

So my initial reaction was negative but over the years I have grown to love it. Wonderful album. Not only would I say their are no weak songs on it, I would say that every song on it is very good.

That's what happened to me. My initial reaction to the album was :boo hiss: :boo hiss: :boo hiss: :boo hiss:. But when I just listened to it the other day, it really isn't all that bad. About half the songs I like.

• Like 1

I think my first reaction to this record was a resounding meh. Other than The Pass and Available Light, nothing really stood out to me. It's grown on me a bit since then. I like Presto and a few other tracks now but it's still overshadowed by albums before and after
  • Like 1

I think my first reaction to this record was a resounding meh. Other than The Pass and Available Light, nothing really stood out to me. It's grown on me a bit since then. I like Presto and a few other tracks now but it's still overshadowed by albums before and after

Long story short:

• Like 1

Long story short:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxK_nA2iVXw

Any snow in Buffalo yet?

Rush live at the Palace is solid...great album & great tour...they did some great numbers that tour!!!

Is this what you are talking about?

No...Presto 1990

• Like 1

Here's my take on presto, I got into the band long after this came out, well, 1994 is when I got real heavy with rush, but I thought. wow, Rush going AM radio style, it was pretty weak, over produced.. and not catchy enough. Now. however.. I think the presto songs specially "the pass" were preformed really well live on the roll the bones tour.... they really came together on that one. But I didn't care for the actual Presto tour itself. something was missing. geddys looks and voice had changed.. Compare a Presto show to A random Moving Pictures show and you will be amazed at the difference. 2 completely different bands.. I think Rush themselves ignored presto for years even on some tours... Counterparts got the edge back!

Played Presto today, also half listened to Hems on the way back to school this morning (was sleeping). Both wonderful albums. I know I rag on Hems a lot for not being all it's often cracked up to be, but what it gets right, it gets astonishingly right.

But yeah, this is about Presto. I like what Segue said about it being a funky little album, I believe that's true. But the other thing is almost all of these songs are some of their best written pop tunes. Catchy, peppy, uplifting, emotional, deep but not overwhelming (well, I imagine The Pass is for many others). That tinny sparkly production really suits what they were going for here (now on RTB that's another matter, but I digress). Presto is great. Never forget Presto.

Also, there's a good reason the only Rush song I've actually performed is the title track to this, lol. :P

Roll The Bones used to be an album I despised. I love it now!

actually......and i remember......you loved it THEN despised it NOW love it again, lol

oh Segue-y, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Well...my first impression of Presto was...I thought The Pass and Show Don’t Tell were stronger tracks than almost all of the album that came after it. These days, I like most of the album (most notably the title track, War Paint, Scars, and Available Light) but it’s still in the bottom 9 albums for me. Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 1

To be real, after signals,,the studio albums were not the same. then it was all about the tours and the live stuff. and bootlegs time..

That's sad but at least they didn't fade into oblivion. Rush isn't the only band that had to coast for decades on what they accomplished during the first years of their career.

• Like 1

To be real, after signals,,the studio albums were not the same. then it was all about the tours and the live stuff. and bootlegs time..

That's sad but at least they didn't fade into oblivion. Rush isn't the only band that had to coast for decades on what they accomplished during the first years of their career.

I'm sure Terry Brown's exit had something to do with it too. Shame they couldn't have made it through those synth years together. Although Peter Collins is a good producer too.

Edited by Wil1972

I'm sure Terry Brown's exit had something to do with it too. Shame they couldn't have made it through those synth years together. Although Peter Collins is a good producer too.

The same thing happened to the Moodies. It's amazing what a top-notch record producer can do.

• Like 1

I sorta think Rush reached perfection with Permanent Waves, whereas before they were great but still not perfect. Hemispheres is shite.

I sorta think Rush reached perfection with Permanent Waves, whereas before they were great but still not perfect. Hemispheres is shite.

As one of the official Hemispheres album representatives I take issue with your comments. :madra: Any more like that and we will require you to wear a prophetic 70s Rush kimono in public. Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

As one of the official Hemispheres album representatives I take issue with your comments. :madra: Any more like than and we will require you to wear a prophetic 70s Rush kimono in public.

I have a narrow waist and long, slender legs. I will really look good in a kimono

• Like 1