Neil without a drum kit

Alexmai

I'm a fan of Stephen King at least as I'm a fan of Rush.

When King said he's going to stop writing, he meant to stop publishing, because you can't stop doing a thing that is good for yourself.

I just read that Neil sold his personal drum kit.

It is possible to stop playing at all, if not because you can't phisically play?

Even in the black days, Neil didn't sold it. Why now?

And: to stop play live is one thing, to stop play at all is another... isn't it?

PS Stephen King is currently writing ;)

Edited by Alexmai

It is possible to come to hate that which you excel at. Ask any child musical prodigy who completely gives up the instrument by the time they reach adulthood. Ask any actor that completely gives up the Hollywood scene. I'm not saying that's what happened w/ Neil. But he seems pretty tired of it all...and he has certainly achieved a lot w/ his personal accomplishments. And if he no longer can play like he used to I wouldn't doubt that he'd get rid of his personal drum set (if indeed he has).
  • Like 2

Here's what is happening.... Neil likes to challenge himself so this is part of the process. He has sold his drums, will not sit behind a kit for 10 years, let the absence make his heart grow fonder and then pick up the sticks again and teach himself the craft all over again - like a born-again virgin. After a year of practice he will call those men of Willowdale and say he's ready to go. So save your pennies for the Rush Reunion 2027/28

Here's what is happening.... Neil likes to challenge himself so this is part of the process. He has sold his drums, will not sit behind a kit for 10 years, let the absence make his heart grow fonder and then pick up the sticks again and teach himself the craft all over again - like a born-again virgin. After a year of practice he will call those men of Willowdale and say he's ready to go. So save your pennies for the Rush Reunion 2027/28

Yes and his drum seat will be a wheelchair.

R53/54 it is then!

I'd rather he get rid of his kit and stop playing than let his diminishing abilities get to him the same way they got to Keith Emerson.
  • Like 2

You'd think at this point in his life he'd just GIVE the damn thing away. Unless he's an utter moron with money he should be worth at least 20 million by now. What, did he put an ad on craigslist?

From what I've read around here he must be a moron with money because apparently he blew a large chunk of it after his family passed away riding all over the North American continent and only returned to the band to replenish it.

You'd think at this point in his life he'd just GIVE the damn thing away. Unless he's an utter moron with money he should be worth at least 20 million by now. What, did he put an ad on craigslist?

From what I've read around here he must be a moron with money because apparently he blew a large chunk of it after his family passed away riding all over the North American continent and only returned to the band to replenish it.

I doubt that's true, he's not or ever was poor!

I doubt that's true, he's not or ever was poor!

Poor, no. But he mentioned in Ghost Rider that he did not invest well in the 80's, and was beginning to outspend his interest in '99 or so.

• Like 2

I'd rather he get rid of his kit and stop playing than let his diminishing abilities get to him the same way they got to Keith Emerson.

This is a good point. I'd rather him stop playing, than see him start to lose it and see something bad happen to him. He can live and die peacefully now, instead of living a chaotic life that one day catches up to him.

It's funny how a song they released in 1982 can have such relevance to them 35 years later.

• Like 1